• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Scandinavian Football - 2008

Original_AAA

Since we have one of these threads for almost every other major league, I thought the Scandinavian leagues should have one as well.

The Norwegian Tippeliga just started today. Valerenga vs Aalesund is 0 - 0 still at the end of first half. It is going to be an very exiting year in the Tippeliga. With 6 clubs who all have the potential to win Gold, the pressure is on. Especially for Viking, Brann and Valerenga who has used a lot of money.

The Swedish Allsvenskaen start tomorrow. I won't go into to much detail here as I'm not that up to speed when it comes to Swedish football.

Meanwhile the Danish Superligaen is nearing it's end. With 3 games left to play it's going to be a though race between AaB and FC Kobenhavn for the title.

If anyone is up to speed in Iceland and Finland we might as well include them here.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
I know nothing about it myself Original_AAA, but will be keen to see what those who do and yourself have to say.

Original_AAA

So the first day of matches in the Norwegian Tippeliga ended like this:

Vaalerenga-Aalesund 1-0
Lillestrom-Tromso 1-1
Molde-Stabaek 0-0
Bodo/Glimt-HamKam 2-0
Viking-Stromsgodset 1-0
Brann-Fredrikstad 4-2
Rosenborg-Lyn 2-1

No big surprises and the usual unimpressive and rocky start that the Tippeliga has every year. I think the break is to long, thus the games in the beginning are often dull matches who reminds you more of friendlies then of league play.

However next round we have a big treat. Stabaek (2nd) v Lillestrom (4th) - the Akershus derby. Matches between these two have a tendency to be even with Lillestrom having a slight edge. Last years matches ended with red cards, handball goals and a lot of drama.

RC8

Established Member
I have a couple of questions for you Original_AAA.

1. What's the population of Norway?

2. Apart from the league, how many domestic cups do you have?

3. How big in size (capacity) is the average football stadium in Norway?

4. What's the average attendance for all teams in Norway?

5. What's the average attendance for the biggest teams. How big are there stadiums?

6. How well have teams from Norway done in Europe throughout history?

7. How strong is the ultras / hooligan culture up in Norway? Is there segregation at the stadiums (people who like to stand and sing stay in one end, etc.)?

That's all. Thanks in advance, answer when you have time. I'm doing some research about the Norwegian league since I want to know whether it's a good role model for small South American countries whose leagues have suffered in recent times.

Original_AAA

1. What's the population of Norway?

Close to 4,7 million.

2. Apart from the league, how many domestic cups do you have?

We have one domestic cup, aptly named "The Norwegian Cup"

3. How big in size (capacity) is the average football stadium in Norway?

In the top league the smallest stadium takes around 7.000 and the biggest 25.000. However the average is around 13,800.

4. What's the average attendance for all teams in Norway?

Last season 1.906.136 watched a football game live in Norway. That gives an average of 10 473 - an all time record in Norway. This also gives Norway the highest % of the population watching a game live in the world. This record will most likely fall in 2009 when the Tippeliga increases in size from 14 teams to 16 as well as Stabaek will be moving from the smallest stadium to a 15.000 seater.

5. What's the average attendance for the biggest teams. How big are there stadiums?

Well, if you mean the teams with the highest average attendance the top four looks like this:

Rosenborg - 19 440 (21.166)
Brann - 16 781(17.890)
Viking -13 913 (16.600)
Vålerenga - 13 871 (25.572)

6. How well have teams from Norway done in Europe throughout history?

Not extremely well. Many of the teams, especially in the UEFA cup has discarded Europe in the chase of domestic success instead. However the exception is Rosenborg who has done very well, especially in the late 90's. Between 95-05 they qualified for the CL 9 times, with a quarter finals against Juventus in 97 as the best result. Before losing to Juventus they beat AC Milan over two legs.

7. How strong is the ultras / hooligan culture up in Norway? Is there segregation at the stadiums (people who like to stand and sing stay in one end, etc.)?

The hooligan part numbers in the 100-300 I think. It's a small group, that unfortunately is growing. The police in Norway have very little experience fighting hooligans as well so it is a growing concern. Vålerenga IL are amongst those teams who have had to hire guards with metal detectors now in order to fight it.

Ultras are more common, but also more peaceful. Mostly made up of young boys and men who wants a more Southern Europe kind of atmosphere with flares, big flags and other effects.

Segregation is very common in Norway. Most clubs have at least 1 supporter grouping that wishes to stand and sing. These often hold a lot of power as their numbers often make up 10-30% of the crowd. So they get things their way, with own areas where they can stand and sign. Much like the old North Bank at Highbury before.

Hope that helps, I am happy to answer anything else you are curios about.

Mostarac

Established Member
Does anybody know how AIK are doing? From what I understand, the most popular club in Sweden, I have heard "good" things about their Black Army :wink: .

RC8

Established Member
Thanks a lot for that, Original_AAA.

It's nice to see football is in such a good state in Norway, considering its size the attendances you mention are pretty impressive.

One last question, if you don't mind. What's the price of the tickets like in Norway?

Original_AAA

AIK, drew their first match against Kalmar 0-0. Some pics from the match, taken by Black Army:

39.jpg

55.jpg

The prize for tickets in Norway are between 15-45 pounds, which is quite cheap when compared to the average purchasing power in Norway. Season tickets vary from 60 to 450 pounds depending on where you sit, which club etc.

Mostarac

Established Member
Thanks, Original. They look impressive for Swedish standards, have a core group of 5000-6000 standing in the Northern stand in every home match. By the way, I have a cousin who lives in Bergen, he follows Brann or something like that from time to time and says that the Norwegian league is developing nicely.

Original_AAA

AIK has around 11.000 season ticket holders, so they got a good number of fans behind them.

Your cousin is right, and he is probably happy that Brann lifted the trophy last season for the first time since 1963. Norwegian clubs are getting quite a lot of money from some good media deals and have been using this money to build new stadiums and brining in some real good players who have given the Norwegian league a big lift. Swedish and Danish clubs are finding it increasingly harder to compete with the Norwegians when it comes to financial muscles.

Arsenal Quotes

When I first came to Arsenal, I realised the back four were all university graduates in the art of defending. As for Tony Adams, I consider him to be a doctor of defence. He is simply outstanding.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom