• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Scott Dann

Warship

I'd be surprised if this transfer didn't happen tbh... it was the first thing I saw on SkySports when I woke up this morning: That we've opened preliminary talks. I guess there's not really any way to spin it to look like it would be a massive help, but it'll be one of the classic Arsenal low risk(financially)/high reward moves.

We would have an ideal amount of CB's if we were to sign one so I can't see him going and buying Cahill as well. At least if it does work out then we will have mega funds to spend elsewhere.. that's a big if though.

Fab Fabre04

ffs, give the boy a chance. United signed Valencia from Wigan to replace Cristiano Ronaldo. I recall they've done alright since then.

This isn't necessarily penny pinching. Penny pinching is Jadson as a replacement for Cesc. I don't think there's that much difference between Cahill and Dann, just a lot of hype.

goonerwarsh

Established Member
Fab Fabre04 said:
ffs, give the boy a chance. United signed Valencia from Wigan to replace Cristiano Ronaldo. I recall they've done alright since then.

This isn't necessarily penny pinching. Penny pinching is Jadson as a replacement for Cesc. I don't think there's that much difference between Cahill and Dann, just a lot of hype.

I agree with that to be honest

qs

Established Member
stuart said:
qs said:
Bossa said:
But is Cahill reall that much better than Dann? There seems to be a lot of hype around Cahill.

Yes Cahill is that much better than Dann.

Is he though? Have you sat down and specifically watched them several times? Genuine question, because i always find it hard to rate a defender. They never really stand out unless they are brilliant or terrible so unless you've watched them time and time again it's hard to draw any conclusions on them. I think alot of people on here just make stuff up based on media hype and football manager! I know myself that even though i've watched our games v Bolton/Birmingham i couldn't tell you much about Cahill and i haven't a clue what Dann is like!

I watch most televised Premiership games during the season and I feel like I have a really strong idea what Dann is about. AS you say defenders are more noticeable when they're brilliant or terrible and I've seen Dann make so many blunders that he pretty much always stands out. As I've said he doesn't read the game well so he is very often left on the wrong side of the defender trying to make last ditch tackles to recover. And then the problem is he's no Carragher in his tackling, he's pretty clumsy and that means he ends up maing the ref make a decision 3 or 4 times a game. And you know how that will go if he's playing for us.

Cahill isn't half as good as the hype on here would have you believe but he is a solid premiership defender who may or may not take the step up to being a genuine CL level defender. Jagielka is already good enough to play at that level and he'd be my first choice of the players we've been linked to.

outlaw_member

Established Member
Agreed, I've thought a long while about who I prefer out of Cahill and Jagielka, and I believe the latter would definitely be the better option. Not only do we need someone who can sweep behind the aggressive Vermaelen, but we also need a player who will lead the defence.

Fab Fabre04

stuart said:
qs said:
Bossa said:
Yes Cahill is that much better than Dann.

Is he though? Have you sat down and specifically watched them several times? Genuine question, because i always find it hard to rate a defender. They never really stand out unless they are brilliant or terrible so unless you've watched them time and time again it's hard to draw any conclusions on them. I think alot of people on here just make stuff up based on media hype and football manager! I know myself that even though i've watched our games v Bolton/Birmingham i couldn't tell you much about Cahill and i haven't a clue what Dann is like!

I watch most televised Premiership games during the season and I feel like I have a really strong idea what Dann is about. AS you say defenders are more noticeable when they're brilliant or terrible and I've seen Dann make so many blunders that he pretty much always stands out. As I've said he doesn't read the game well so he is very often left on the wrong side of the defender trying to make last ditch tackles to recover. And then the problem is he's no Carragher in his tackling, he's pretty clumsy and that means he ends up maing the ref make a decision 3 or 4 times a game. And you know how that will go if he's playing for us.

Cahill isn't half as good as the hype on here would have you believe but he is a solid premiership defender who may or may not take the step up to being a genuine CL level defender. Jagielka is already good enough to play at that level and he'd be my first choice of the players we've been linked to.

Players improve when surrounded by superior players, coaches, training facilities, winning mindsets.

Look how much Koscielny improved after he joined us. This time last year, could you have comfortably said that he would not have looked out of place playing against Lionel Messi.

I see some defensive potential in Dann, I particularly remember a game against Chelsea where he held his own. He has the physical attributes, I think Arsenal can uncover his defensive potential.

The thing I would give you is that he is not a leader and that is where Jagielka holds his biggest attraction (along with his defensive ability and versatility - if only he was 3 or 4 inches taller :( )

spartandre217

Established Member
1macca1 said:
spartandre217 said:
Lol I still have my special Vodka cranberry mix soaking in the fridge :)
You woman.

I won't be pleased if this is the special talent Arsène was talking about, but if it does happen I'll give Dann a chance to prove Wenger right before criticizing either.
It also helps that I'm a Koscielny fan and think he and Verms will have a great season.

Piss off :p :lol: I like my fruity drinks :eek:ops:

As for Dann I know little to nothing of him as a player. General consensus is that he sucks which is not a promising sign at all.

Mastadon

Established Member
I think Wenger has too much faith in our existing central defenders and is looking for a cheap option as cover. Can't imagine Dann being ahead of Cahill, Jagielka or Samba in any list.

progman07

Established Member
Fab Fabre04 said:
Players improve when surrounded by superior players, coaches, training facilities, winning mindsets.

Look how much Koscielny improved after he joined us. This time last year, could you have comfortably said that he would not have looked out of place playing against Lionel Messi.

There was a video of our goals conceded in 10/11 (up to around March), 75-80% of the goals included Koscielny making a mistake. I can't find it though yet, but I'll try to dig it up.

If Koscielny is the role model for a potential Arsenal CB, it's ****ed up big time.

We need to sign a centre back who will step in and take over control, and makes a unit of our defense by presence, leadership and quality. Someone who has got the respect of our players and knows his job. Doubt this Dann fits it.

viper_001

Established Member
We want Gary Cahill, but are probably getting Scott Dan...

We want Juan Mata, but are probably getting Jadson...

Season starts in two days. I have no words to describe my disappointment.

Arsenal_Soldier

we need a hero...

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2M6WqmQSF8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2M6WqmQSF8</a>

Glovegun

Established Member
I'd rather have Jagielka or Cahill than Dann, but I'd rather sign him than no-one. Simple truth. I think if the news hadn't come on a day when it looks like we're selling two of our best players then people wouldn't be quite so negative about it.

DK Gooner

I'm not as bothered by the CB situation as I'm fairly certain out of all the considered available signings, Jagielka was the only one who would have been a definite to command a starting berth. Despite TV and Kos not being the finished article, their potential partnership has not been seen as particularly bad. In fact many seem to view it favourably compared to a combination with any of our other 2 CBs. If we were not to sign a new CB, the concern would be more on the quality of back ups in JD and SS than lamenting the strength of our current first choice pairing. Samba, Cahill and Dann are not at the level where they can assume they are starters. They would have to fight for that place from most likely the 3rd choice spot. While Dann is considered the weaker option of the 3, his arrival does not necessarily make us weaker. He was part of a solid Brum defence pre-injury and if he can display that form here then he will surely surpass SS's contribution. If he can be more consistent than the wildly erratic Djourou, then we have a genuine alternative in defence. Personally I think we should make a bigger effort for Jagielka, but after that I'm not fussed over which of the other 3 we sign as I'd consider them around the same level.

The situation with SS and JD being out of contract next season is what intrigues me as I'm not really sure how to factor that into building up our CB strength in depth. We all want SS out, but I would also like to cash in on JD. Any new signing will relegate him to the 4th choice and whether he will accept that before signing a new contract is open to question. Maybe he could be used as bargaining tool in negotiations for other players. Part-exchange with Evrton for Jagielka, or with Bolton for Cahill?

outlaw_member

Established Member
I think there is definitely a concern of both Koscielny and Vermaelen being too similar. I've heard rumours that we tend to do a lot of individual defensive work, and that would definitely be a problem, if there isn't sufficient emphasis placed on developing the two as a partnership.

qs

Established Member
Glovegun said:
I think if the news hadn't come on a day when it looks like we're selling two of our best players then people wouldn't be quite so negative about it.

qs said:
Danns rubbish whatever way you look at it. No where near our level. Not even a top half Prem defender.

June 8th

evoh_1

Established Member
I doubt we are in for any of the centrebacks quoted in the papers beyond exploratory bids, should have signed varane last january for £10mil he is a certain future star.

Arsenal Quotes

We don't sign superstars, we make them.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom