• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Sead Kolašinac: The Assist Man's Bodyguard

Status
Not open for further replies.

progman07

Established Member
Mustafi would be a good back up at Everton. Torreira is a first team player.

The problem with the good back up philsophy is that we've seen it time and time again at Arsenal. Players are brought in and its assumed that they're good enough to "do a job" and that isn't an unfair assessment.

Its just that at Arsenal, the back ups need to be good enough for the first team as well. I don't know what it is, because Barcelona, Chelsea and the rest can get away with a small first XI but at Arsenal, the entire squad comes to bear every season.

Case in point. Flamini was brought back to be a back up but made 60+ appearances for us across two seasons, 30 apiece. The corporal played 20 times in two separate seasons for us.

Just look at this season, Lichsteiner was brought in to be a back up and now Bellerin is out for the entire season and since the former isn't good enough to start every week. We're up the creek with no paddle.

We either need to fix our injury problems and rotate better or the only players we need are players who are good enough to start.
That's a fair point, although for Kolasinac I'd say he is a good Plan B, definitely not up to it defensively but it would be difficult to improve on him as a bench player until we have half the money Man City has.

Our squad player policy definitely has to go back to the a) young player who has the talent to be world class (e.g. Reyes), b) versatile, and consistent performer (e.g. Parlour in the 02-04 Arsenal team). No more of this 'never will be good enough but can do a job maybe' Elnenny/Bendtner and too old to contribute 'Silvestre/Squilacci/Lichsteiner.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Perhaps, but I don’t know if he would walk into the other top 6 teams.

Walk? Maybe not, but that's no slight on the ability of Torreria. I think he'd start at Sp**s and pool. He is better than Herrera (albeit different) and would be an excellent long term replacement for Fernandinho.

I agree on Mustafi, Xhaka and Kolasinac being squad players. I'd probably look to sell Kolasinac to Serie A or the Bundesliga and buy a 4-4-2 fullback with good delivery.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
I'd say he is a good Plan B, definitely not up to it defensively but it would be difficult to improve on him as a bench player until we have half the money Man City has.

If I had a dime for every time I heard an Arsenal fan say this about one of our mediocre players over the years.

If it was so difficult to improve on our lot, we wouldn't be where we are. Even as a bench player Kolasinac isn't up to snuff.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
As I've said before, between Kola and Robertson for best LB in the league. Superb again today.

berric

Established Member

Player:Trossard
Kolasinac reminds me of Eboue a bit. So good in attack but dodgy defensively. We should look for a back up in the summer even if he improves, he is really injury prone anyway.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
I always thought this whole “more suited to LWB” theory was slightly overblown. In the case of someone like Marcos Alonso it’s true, not so much for Kola.

I think he can play LB quite comfortably and he has done a lot during his career. Going forward he’s so effective, and even though he isn’t the best dribbler his sheer strength makes him difficult to dispossess.

Huge fan of his. Always feel we look better when he’s in the team.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Robertson is the standout LB in the league I think, he's the most well-rounded of the bunch. But after that, Mendy, Alonso, Shaw, Rose, they all fall a bit short in either attack or defense. Kolasinac falls somewhere in the upper-end of that group imo.

City have a system where they have one defensive and one attacking fullback (which makes a 3 depending on the situation), and it works pretty well. I rate Bellerin but thinking about it, an apt defender at RB like Wan Bissaka could be an answer to striking a balance that gets more out of our team. Or you keep Bellerin and get a defensive LB. Or Emery finds some other tactical system, but surely we can't continue as we do having both fullbacks bomb forward if we want to fix our defensive issues.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
Robertson is the standout LB in the league I think, he's the most well-rounded of the bunch. But after that, Mendy, Alonso, Shaw, Rose, they all fall a bit short in either attack or defense. Kolasinac falls somewhere in the upper-end of that group imo.

City have a system where they have one defensive and one attacking fullback (which makes a 3 depending on the situation), and it works pretty well. I rate Bellerin but thinking about it, an apt defender at RB like Wan Bissaka could be an answer to striking a balance that gets more out of our team. Or you keep Bellerin and get a defensive LB. Or Emery finds some other tactical system, but surely we can't continue as we do having both fullbacks bomb forward if we want to fix our defensive issues.
another option is to play with2 holding mids who stay behind the ball all the time. it's actually what Unai always preferred but obviously needs a bit time to work on it.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable

Where have you been????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

We don't sign superstars, we make them.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom