• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Seaman On Vieira, Lehmann and Defending the title

Xanshin

Former Arsenal star David Seaman today rubbished reports that Patrick Vieira will join Real Madrid by declaring his heart belongs to Highbury.

Real have been strongly linked with a move for Vieira and it was reported yesterday that the France midfielder has already agreed personal terms with the Spanish giants.

Vieira’s agent Steve Kutner and Real Madrid’s director of sport Emilio Butragueno have denied the claims but the speculation refuses to go away, thanks largely to the player’s silence on the matter.

But Seaman, who enjoyed 13 years at Arsenal and made 564 appearances, believes the club captain will turn down a move to Madrid and look to realise his Champions League dream at Highbury

“This has been happening every summer for the last three or four years with stories appearing that Real are trying to buy Patrick,” he said.

“I can’t see him leaving – I don’t think it will happen. I’ve seen (manager) Arsène Wenger speak on the matter and that’s enough for me. If he tells people Patrick’s not leaving, then that’s the end of it.

“Patrick’s heart is at Highbury. He’s a footballer so it’s whatever happens, but he’s under contract and Wenger says he staying. For me that speaks volumes.”

Arsenal’s failure to give Wenger the cash to strengthen his squad with big names is one of the reasons cited for Vieira’s desire to leave north London.

But Seaman, who won three league titles with the Gunners, insists the lack of transfer funds will not hamper the club’s defence of their Premiership crown.

“Arsène did exactly the same last year, buying only Jens Lehmann over the summer. But they still went on to win the league so the lack of new faces is not a problem at all,” he said.

“Arsenal’s squad is getting better all the time because they’re growing in experience. There are lot of young players in the squad but they are getting to know each other’s game. That breeds confidence.”

Goalkeeper Lehmann drew heavy criticism last season when a couple of high profile blunders tarnished his reputation and prompted speculation that Wenger might have to resume his search for Seaman’s successor.

But the former England stopper, who backs Arsenal to defend their title, said: “Jens had a fantastic season. Any criticism came from silly people because Jens was great.

“He has won the league – what more can you ask for in your first year? Okay, he made a couple of mistakes in the Champions League but generally he was fantastic.”

Credit: breakingnews.ie

johe

That's good old Safe Hands for us right there. Now for those of you slagging of Jens - Listen to the Legend! :wink:

Oh, and great stuff about the Vieira thing, although nothing we didn't know.

Sammer

Established Member
Great to hear that from him, especially the backing of Jens - a true sportsman he still is.

Come home, Spunky - be our goalkeeping coach !

KingReyes

Established Member
Sammer said:
Great to hear that from him, especially the backing of Jens - a true sportsman he still is.

Come home, Spunky - be our goalkeeping coach !

I really hope that happens. There is nothing more satisfying than bringing in coaches that are Arsenal through and through. David Seaman as GK coach and Wrighty as striker coach.

calvinngai88

I'll have Bergkamp as the striker coach. Agree with the GK coach post. Hopes he does come back to Arsenal and coach Lehmann, Almunia, Taylor, and even Stack after his loan. :)

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
and whats with the comment about lack of new faces??

RvP, Flamini, Almunia, Lupioli, Pennant back from loan, Jeffers back from loan. possibly Trabelsi (if it ever gets done).... thats at least 4 BRAND NEW faces, 2 "new" faces (returnees) and one possible brand new face....

thats quite a few.... just because we didnt spend $60 million doesnt mean we didnt get some quality... RvP alone is worth what we paid overall...

and this doesnt even account for Reyes.... first full season and has had time to settle now....

Mark

Established Member
I'm very happy with our transfers. New faces are always exciting, and this squad looks really good if the new players gel well. More depth in there than last year and look how well we did last season. We have a great season ahead of us.

Chips&CurrySauce

Yeah its great to hear Seaman backing Jens. As he rightly said the criticism he received was from 'stupid' people who were all jumping on the Sky band wagon. Bob Wilson also said recently that in his opinion Jens was the best keeper in the premiership last season. Of course he made a couple of mistakes but tell me a keeper who hasn't. Personally I feel very confident with Jens as our number 1.

calvinngai88

Yea, not many keepers out there in the world, always come out from his goal to intercept the crosses and corners. Only Lehmann does, that's why he's definitely one who can only help Arsenal to maintain the unbeaten record, especially the last few games, for example against Portsmouth and Charlton.

He therefore, should be ahead of Oliver Kahn. No doubt about that. Hope Klinssman knows what to do with some sort of a crappy German squad left behind by Rudi Voeller.

towelie

calvinngai88 said:
Yea, not many keepers out there in the world, always come out from his goal to intercept the crosses and corners. Only Lehmann does, that's why he's definitely one who can only help Arsenal to maintain the unbeaten record, especially the last few games, for example against Portsmouth and Charlton.
\

most of the forum who saw the arsenal preseason games say alumnia will probably be number 1 by january

i like lehman, but its something to think about...

calvinngai88

Almunia is indeed giving a fierce fight for the first choice keeper's place. Wenger shall see for himself between the two. Hopefully, we should be able to see Almunia playing at the Ajax game, and pulling out some magnificent saves. Currently, he doesn't need to do much at the other pre-season games.

Arsenal Quotes

There's a minute on the clock left for Arenal. Brady for Arsenal.... right across, Sunderland... IT'S THERE! I do not believe it, I SWEAR I do not believe it!

Peter Jones on the goal against United in the 79 cup final

Latest posts

Top Bottom