• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Skulason to Beveren

Marek

This defender is joining my home team Beveren on a loan spell.

Is he any good?

We might also get Quincy, although he thinks that he's to good for us. (we are European though, and what has he proven up till now? :roll: )

Matt

I have another question.(I am also from Belgium)

Is it true that Tottenham was or is interested in Skulason, can anyone confirm that rumour ?

A

Anonymous

Skulason is a very decent looking player from what I have seen of him, but I dont think he is quite good enough to make it at Arsenal.

But having said that I think I am right in saying he has just signed a long term contract with the club, so who knows.

I think also he made his debut for Iceland recently, which shows he has potential.

Where have you heard he has gone on loan?
He is a right mid or a right back. Could be very useful for you.

Skulason is a decent player but he will never make it in Arsenal first team. He can play as a defender or midfielder. He is 21 years old and made his international debut for Iceland last year. If you compare him with some Icelandic players in Belgium, I think he is better then Arnar Vidarsson(Lokeren) but Arnar Grétarsso(Lokeren) and Kristinsson(Lokeren) are better players. But Skulason could easily do a good job in Belgium and I wish him and Beveren good luck.

Yes Skulason can play as a central defender but his best position is central midfielder. And yes I have seen Vidarson play a lots of time for Iceland. Vidarson is always very poor when he plays for Iceland and recently lost his place in the icelandic starting lineup to Indridi Sigurdsson(Genk).

Yes it is true that Tottenham was interestet in Skulason but he choosed Arsenal because he has been a gunnersfan since he was a kid.

I can also mention that I played few times against Oli Skulason when he played for youth teams in Iceland. Then he always played in midfield. He began to play as centraldefender with Arsenal.

Mark

Established Member
I have liked what I've seen of Skulason. I wouldn't write him off. He may not be good enough to be first choice in the team, but he'd make good backup.

Matt

How would everyone compare Skulason to the other reserves ?
Is he better than Svard or Simek or Garry or even Hoyte ?
Cause on the Beverenforum we hoped to sign one of the last 2 names or Svard (not Simek). Are we right or is Skulason as good as they are ?

wiltord11

when skulason came on for hoyte against wolves in the carling cup he impressed me more than hoyte did i think like "mark" he will be pretty decent back up for cb or rb

Marek

Nor Skulason, nor Quincy seem to be moving to Beveren.

They find themaselves "to good" to play in Belgium.

Of course the Premier League is a different world, but the level is decent (decent enough for Stack, Halls en Stepa!), and we are European. On top of that are players from Ivory Coast are definitely technically superiour to both Skulason and Quincy.

Beveren supporters are obviously very disappointed, and we are wondering what the so called "technical relationship" entails.

You guys come every year to play a game with an Arsenal XI. We get one or two players (centainly not big talens like Bentley, Fabregas or Senderos)by mid September, and Arsenal offers trials to our players (Yaya Touré, Eboué, Né) without ever buying one.

I guess every Gunner is askuing the same question: "technical relationship" with whom, and what for? :) :(

Adam

Established Member
It's more of a good nature and friendship now (between Arsène and your technical director). The standard of our youngsters has raised, and they now have higher expectations.

We'll have some reserves though. There maybe one or two players we can muster.

Marek

Very true Adam,

is it common knowledge for every Gunner (that is mainly a partnership between JMG en Wenger?), or a you quite "close" to the club, and therefore have more info?

Any suggestions of players that are willing to make the move? (we desperately need defenders)

Adam

Established Member
I just know alot about Beveren too. It's not really common knowledge, but some Gooners know about the details of the relationship and the friendship between Arsène and JMG.

Yaya Toure and the Ivory Coast club Abidjan - are important to the partnership.

http://www.arsenal.com/stats.asp?clid=1 ... erve+Squad

Really, any one of those. Johann Djourou and Gilbert might be worth a look at.

Marek

Thx for the info Adam.

A lot of the Beveren supporters (me for instance :) have become Arsenal supporters.

For us it's easy to become an Arsenal supporters because of the wonderfull football

Chips&CurrySauce

Good lad Marek.
I also always look out for Beveren's results and am happy when they are having a good season.

I also enjoy seeing Antwerp perform really badly as they have a relationship with Man Utd. I knwo they had a very poor season last year but were they actually relegated in th end or did they manage to avoid the drop?

Arsenal Quotes

I believe one of the best things about managing people is that we can influence lives in a positive way. That’s basically what a manager is about. When I can do that, I am very happy.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom