• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Sky One's 'The Premiership's Greatest Players'

jc8gooner

10. Dennis Bergkamp
9. Thierry Henry
8. Ryan Giggs
7. Peter Schmiechel
6. Matt Le Tissier
5. Ian Wright
4. Roy Keane
3. Gianfranco Zola
2. Eric Cantona
1. Alan Shearer

That list was supposedly voted for by the fans.

How the hell is Vieira not in there? He has been by far the best midfielder in the Premiership for 5 years now and before that he was second only to Keane.

How did Bergkamp and Henry come in at 9 and 10 only? Both should have been at least in the middle. Did any of the others win the 2nd best footballer in the world? I don't think so.

Zola and Cantona are the two foreigners in the list comparable in style to Bergkamp. Neither can claim to be better than him. How they came in the top two I'll never know. In the programme, they focused a bit on Dennis' agressive streak, but when it came to Cantona, they didn't even mention his antics.

My revised list:

10. Matt Le Tissier
9. Ian Wright
8. Peter Schmiechel
7. Patrick Vieira
6. Thierry Henry
5. Eric Cantona
4. Gianfranco Zola
3. Roy Keane
2. Dennis Bergkamp
1. Alan Shearer

kNiteMare

I dont know about Shearer being great. But maybe the Arsenal fans who voted are not as great as some of the other fans.

dynasty

i thought it was 2 vague..surely adams should be there!!it should have been cutted to best goalies,defenders,midfielders,and strikers

Soler

Established Member
An Englishman had to be first, end of story. They wouldn't have it any other way.

A

Anonymous

tbh shearer deserves it really..
he's been scoring consistently more then anyone else in the Premiership yet for a long long time..he's been scoring every season consistently that too by playing for not really one of the best teams around.

KingReyes

Established Member
How does DB10 finish 10th. With all due repect to Ian Wright DB10 deserves to be before him. Shearer deserves to be number 1. The greatest premiership goalscorer and still going strong.

Adam

Established Member
DB10 has helped to transform Arsenal and give us belief. He is ahead of Cantona and Shearer, and number one IMO. He has given us more magical moments than any other player and is an important player in the team playing the best football England has ever seen.

lewdikris

Established Member
I dunno - polls are fundamentally dumb, but it seems fairly obvious that if you were a manager picking names from the whole of Premiership history then Shearer, Adams and Keane would be the first ones on there. By far the most influential ... and successful.

Mark

Established Member
Bergkamp definetly deserves to be higher and how the hell is Giggs ahead of Henry?? Madness.

Adam

Established Member
Dunno, Le Tissier and Ian Wright were great players with limited success and their influence on under-performing teams is unfair when judging them as great prem players. If Le Tissier, like Keane, had those players around him i am sure we would talk of him as being very influential aswell as having great talent....

Huge grey area when it comes to judging this. Shearer consistently scored goals for whatever team, but does it matter that he is hardly beautiful to watch? Cantona and Bergkamp would dominate that category, but most of all - Thierry Henry.

Most influential? Cantona for turning Utd into a dominant beast and being the true difference between them and other teams. As Blackburns fortunes faded after one season, so did Shearer's stranglehold on silverware.

Most beautiful? Thierry Henry.

For all the war horses you have - Adams, Keane, Batty, Vieira - It's these special forwards that make the direction changing difference. Keane has been the rock which grew and became stronger, Cantona's influence alone turned the rock for United.

Gunner4life09

i thought it was 2 vague..surely adams should be there!!it should have been cutted to best goalies,defenders,midfielders,and strikers

totally agreed, u can't really compare players like that

A

Anonymous

how is giggs ahead of henry..
simple...
has been doing it ever since the premiership began mate..henry's just come into the picture in the last 2 or 3 years
giggs has been doing it since ages and has been soo effective and had such a great influence.
and just the small matter that he has the most number of premiership medals in his cabinet..(if i am not mistaken!)
not saying henry isn't any good..he deserves to be there..but surely giggs has been doing it since soo many years from such a young age just give him the upper hand.

marco

how is zola ahead of bergkamp!!!
only because zola played for a ****ter team then dennis!!
he has to be top five. As for vieira not being there bit of a disgrace!

EJub

Well if people are voting, all the Chelsea people would vote for Zola, where Arsenal fans would have to distribute their votes over a few players.

thegame24

Established Member
This is the same channel that listed Bergkamps wondergoal at newcastle outside the top 3 and its the same channel that said Fergie was a better manager than Wenger back in the summer using arguments such as better hobbies and better footballing career. :roll:

Bergkamp and Henry 10 and 9?

Bergkamp won 3rd (should have been 2nd but was given to carlos for one flukey free kick) worlds best player, and Henry won 2nd worlds best player (should have been first cause it was fixed) and son to be first officially next season.

Did any of the other 8 come close?

A

Anonymous

the game, what you have to look at is that the other players who came ahead have performed consistently for a very long period of time.you may have an argument about bergkamp, but henry has just been performing in the last 2-3 years or so..
where as the others mostly have been performing for a long period of time.

Arsenal Quotes

He is like a new signing

Arsène Wenger on a player coming back from injury

Latest posts

Top Bottom