• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Solving our CF problem

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
This topic is kind of geared towards this summer and next season because I don't think there is much we can do for the rest of the season to improve at CF. We have Giroud and Sanogo and Bendtner has been banished. Podolski may be a CF option, but Wenger doesn't appear to want to play him there.

However, during the summer we're going to be busy addressing our CF options and there are tons of options -- including new players and ones currently on the payroll.

Right now we have Giroud, Sanogo and Bendtner as CFs, and Theo and Podolski as wide CFs. Clearly Bendtner is leaving and we need a world class CF. Do most of you guys think that is all we need to do?

But we also have Joel Campbell returning from loan and he looks like he could be ready to be part of the team. Where would he fit in? Should he be loaned to an EPL team to get more experience?

There are plenty of rumors that Podolski could be on the way out. Do most people think that would be a good idea?

Also we have younger players like Afobe and Akpom who I wouldn't consider ready for the first team just yet, but we do need to make important decisions about their futures in the summer too. Where should we loan them?

Also, with all of this talk during January about buying Draxler to convert to a CF, I've been wondering if we have current players who could be converted into a CF or are there other players we should consider converting.

Personally, I think Joel Campbell could play CF and on both wings for us, if Wenger shows him how to play CF.

Also, a lot of our CF decision making could be based on Theo's progress and when we expect him to return.

So does anyone have an ideal, yet not too farfetched CF lineup for next season? I'm not set on mine, but I definitely think Joel Campbell and a WC CF should be part of our plans. Personally, I'd like to see Giroud go away, but I know that won't happen. Hopefully, he'll be a good backup next season.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Sign a top striker... it can't really be simplified any more unless Sanogo, Akpom or Campbell turn into Van Persie over night.

I think Wenger knows the deal, hence why Giroud was dropped a few weeks ago.

DasBootist

Agree with dude above me. I signed Costa on FM 14 for Arsenal and he's banging them in left, right, centre and left again.

P.S. Giroud is ****.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Benzema or Balotelli, Draxler or Griezmann.

Two of those, Walcott, Chamberlain, Podolski, Sanogo, Giroud.

Rotate them, keep them fresh, fit and blitz everybody in sight.

ArseGod

It's really impressive quite how bad Giroud has become. Does he work in training? Or just in the hotel room?

GDeep™

League is very weak
Stevez said:
Throw £35 million at Costa. CF problems solved. Quality goal scorers don't come cheap. And as we spent 43 million on Özil it only makes sense to buy some quality to be assisted by him. As long as Giroud is our starting striker Özil will never be all he can be for us.

This for me too. Replace Poldi with a Griezmann type too and our attack looks dangerous again.

Two high quality attackers is what we need.

k24bfan

Giroud is the guy we need....coming off the bench. Costa throw a massive bid for him. If not sign someone who is cheaper but has a high ceiling if that deal isn't going and an experience middle of the park striker who can give a different option.

kofigunner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
ArseGod said:
It's really impressive quite how bad Giroud has become. Does he work in training? Or just in the hotel room?
That's being unfair to him. It's no surprise he looks different after every rest. Too many games in a position where you get banged around every day by hardened English defenders. We can certainly pay top dollar and get an upgrade but I don't see a lack of effort per se. I just see a tired player who's played too many games.

mo50

Established Member
It's very simple to solve. Just go out and drop money on an elite CF. A top CF would've seriously tested Neuer if he was on the end of one of the two long balls Giroud got towards the end of the game. It shocks me that an Arsenal CF can't get behind the defense, control the ball and test the keeper.

Until we rectify that CF position we aren't going to be serious league/CL contenders.

mo50

Established Member
kofigunner said:
ArseGod said:
That's being unfair to him. It's no surprise he looks different after every rest. Too many games in a position where you get banged around every day by hardened English defenders. We can certainly pay top dollar and get an upgrade but I don't see a lack of effort per se. I just see a tired player who's played too many games.
Henry, Adebayor, RvP all completed full seasons without dropping a level. That's just a poor excuse tbh, he's simply garbage. He could have all the rest he needs and he'd still fluff simple chances. I'd like to see him leave the club ASAP. Not a striker worthy of being here and he isn't young either.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Costa was quality before this match too, he's just proving himself on the big stage now. More goals this season than last flavour of the month Suárez too, and that's without resting for a week between matches.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
True I suppose. I do like him tbh, interesting to watch. Not sure he's the striker I would sign though. Oh well, he's good so whatever!

GDeep™

League is very weak
jones said:
More goals this season than last flavour of the month Suárez too, and that's without resting for a week between matches.

Suarez has a better goals to game ratio :wink:

Godwin1

Very well-known
It's like everyone says, pay money and sign an elite CF. Will Wenger do it though, we can't possibly go another season without signing a DM to save money surley! And there are other areas of the team we look weak.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Yeah, I definitely think signing a WC CF is a must, but I wonder if we'll end up doing more than that.

Again, Podolski might leave, and I think he's pretty much playing for his spot in the team for the rest of the season. With Özil out he should get more minutes and the chance to prove if he is Arsenal level.

If we sign a striker, keep Podolski, and bring in Campbell then we may have too many attackers -- CF: New CF, Giroud, Sanogo; LW: Podolski, Cazorla, Ox; RW: Theo, Gnabry, Campbell.

If that's the case then we might have to sell someone or loan out some players. I think nine players plus also Rosicky for three positions is a bit much. Wenger might be the type to just let a player rot on the bench all season -- he's done that with Bendtner this year -- but I think he'd probably try to find a way to have a good balance in the squad and not stunt the development of young players.

We may have one position to fill, but there may be more movement required to build a great attacking core next season.

Costa or Balotelli are clearly the favorites of fans. Griezmann and Draxler are good, but we only need one of the last two if we lose a player or two, or sign Draxler to play CF.

burnsjed

Established Member
If we only buy 1 player it really has to be a CF, though we need others we could still manage (not saying we should), a World class CF is a must

ArsenalDNA

jones said:
Costa was quality before this match too, he's just proving himself on the big stage now. More goals this season than last flavour of the month Suárez too, and that's without resting for a week between matches.

You don't think that while Suarez is resting with his feet up, Costa is off playing games and scoring goals? Which may explain why he's scored more.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Yeah, but I doubt that he'd be scoring goals if he played as many games as Costa does, especially with the extremely draining role the latter plays. A lot of the time Atlético's extremely compact setup just has Costa alone in the opposition half chasing balls and creating goals by himself.

Arsenal Quotes

Have Tottenham closed the gap on Arsenal?
Last time I checked they were still 4 miles and 11 titles away

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom