• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2019/20

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
I'd like to see our midfield revamped as a priority. One quality centre back in his prime would be ideal.

I'd keep Auba and let him walk on a free myself. There is no quality striker we can buy for the quoted 30m.

Tierney is a waste of time I think, don't think he has the physique for the league. Can see Saka taking his place via natural selection whilst Tierney has a Debauchy type career here.

Tierney really does seem to be on the Debuchy path, everyone is hyped but he looks skinny and seems to be quite injury prone.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Out of interest on Tierney, aside from the injury we signed him with, wasn't the only other injury he had when someone popped his shoulder out at West Ham?

BigPoppaPump

Look mate I know you're a WWF wrestler but Tierney is far from skinny. :lol:

He's top heavy if anything.

Out of interest on Tierney, aside from the injury we signed him with, wasn't the only other injury he had when someone popped his shoulder out at West Ham?

I remember Ornstein reporting he had shoulder issues beforehand then dislocated it in the West Ham game, seems to have issues with his shoulder as it's not the first time.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

He's top heavy if anything.

I remember Ornstein reporting he had shoulder issues beforehand then dislocated it in the West Ham game, seems to have issues with his shoulder as it's not the first time.

Nah physique wise he's ideal for the PL. Wouldn't call him injury prone yet but if he can't string a set of games together this season/next I'll be worried.

BigPoppaPump

Nah physique wise he's ideal for the PL. Wouldn't call him injury prone yet but if he can't string a set of games together this season/next I'll be worried.

Why do you need another season? Was this one not enough? He's obviously injury prone.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Why do you need another season? Was this one not enough? He's obviously injury prone.

Nah, he came with an injury which kept him out and then there was an impact injury. Not enough for me to suggest he's injury prone. That's all, we'll see though.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
So I have been thinking about what we have, what we need and how we build a team. Firstly I think Arteta likes the idea of 5 up and 5 back, which can be done a number of ways. What I would like to see is a shift to a 4-3-3 out of possession with an 8/6/2 and 3/8/10/11 flanking a 6. Now you may notice the amount of numbers I have listed as one player. This is because we have a player that can do this or need to buy a player that can do this to make us effective.

We are racking our brains to find a suitable 10. I think that is narrow minded. I think we need flexbility in positions with players dynamic enough to perform multiple roles. I don't want a Xhaka, who can only do one thing and play one position.

So I am proposing Saka as the missing link and here is why. Saka has played left wing, left back and right wing for us. He has scored and assisted from all 3 positions. He has displayed:

-Dribbling.
-Carrying the ball in transition.
-Riding challenges.
- Excellent positioning.
-Stand up tackling
-Cutting out crosses
- Excellent passing with vision.
- Crossing in the air on the run.
- Intelligent cutbacks.
- Intelligent movement.
- Excellent first touch under pressure.
- Finishing and shooting

All of the above traits to me, have the makings of a world class 8. There are slight doubts over his ability to be a top winger, or left back, but as an 8, he can dip in and out of all those positions.

Torreira in small spaces is a very good ball winner and tempo setter. In large spaces he can be found out vs superior physicality. I would play him at the base and buy Partey. Someone who can play as an 8 and as a right back allowing him to cover the right side, while Torreira has the central space and left aided by Saka and also Tierney who has played centre back before.

The two final pieces are Martinelli and Pepe. Both these players need to move from out to in to find space. So while Pepe drifts infield he would occupy the edge, while Martinelli likes to move into the box.

This would require us to purchase a centre forward who can dominate centre backs. Edouard, Osimhen, Milik and Guirassy. Edouard is my preference, simply because of shooting technique, dribbling, and the way he scores goals. So without the ball it would look like this:

-Martinelli---------Edouard-------Pepe

------------Saka----------------Partey

----------------------Torreira

Tierney-----Luiz-----------Saliba-------Bellerin

---------------------Leno

When we go forward:

------ Martinelli------Edouard------------Bellerin

-------Saka-----------------------------------Pepe

--------Tierney--------Torreira-------------Partey

----------------Luiz---------------Saliba

--------------------------Leno

The above formation is fluid. Tierney and Saka can interchange, Tierney can push up and Saka can go in the 10, Pepe can drift in or stary wide and Edouard and Maritnelli can interchange. Most importantly, that is a dynamic midfield three.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
When we go forward:

------ Martinelli------Edouard------------Bellerin

-------Saka-----------------------------------Pepe

--------Tierney--------Torreira-------------Partey

----------------Luiz---------------Saliba

--------------------------Leno

The above formation is fluid. Tierney and Saka can interchange, Tierney can push up and Saka can go in the 10, Pepe can drift in or stary wide and Edouard and Maritnelli can interchange. Most importantly, that is a dynamic midfield three.
I guess this would result in countless crosses without any stability on the ball. I'm not a fan of it, mostly because I grew up watching Arsenal dominating midfield and being technically superior in that area.
There is also too much of wishlist stuff here where players from your wishlist are key for this formation.
Without Partey, this formation simply can't work properly and the only current player who can play that role would be AMN who is out of favor

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
I guess this would result in countless crosses without any stability on the ball. I'm not a fan of it, mostly because I grew up watching Arsenal dominating midfield and being technically superior in that area.
There is also too much of wishlist stuff here where players from your wishlist are key for this formation.
Without Partey, this formation simply can't work properly and the only current player who can play that role would be AMN who is out of favor

I know we can only operate with what we have got but that team still isnt good enough for top 4 in my opinion.

Thomas is good enough. Eduoard good enough for a squad player but not a starter. Cant even be compared with PEA.

We need in my opinion 2/3 top drawer signings. Thomas can be one. We need another at CB and possible another central midfielder. The spine of the team needs to be stronger.

Out wide we are ok. Pepe, Saka, Martinelli, etc can do a job. But without a solid spine and a midfield that can dominate teams, move the ball fast, break up the play and find the right combinations we will always be over run.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
I actually think the point about Saka being the missing link is correct, he demolished defences in a way i haven't seen an Arsenal player doing in a long long time. Defenders were getting tight, doubling/ tripling up on him, leaving him have a little space. It didn't matter what they tried he was still able to go past them.

I'd risk a setup like this to get them ready for next year because I'm not sure if we can even get europa now

Saka-Aubemeyang-Pepe
Xhaka------Nelson
Torreria
Tierney-Luiz-NoIdea-Bellerin

Before you go saying I'm insane let me justify it a bit. I think Auba's best position is striker keeping the centrebacks busy and he can be ready for the counterattacks without exhausting himself, Saka can murder a full back and a winger by himself, pepe should be more than able to beat hi man as well, which means we need quick shifts from one side to the other to catch the defence exposed.

Putting xhaka on that left in a more box to box suits us to allow tierney to get down the left and he can drop back beside torreria to put out a few crossfield or over the top passes, he has also improved defensively a lot with the structure arteta has given him.

Nelson I think is extremely good at holding on to the ball and making those little dinky passes over the top that terrify defenders when youve someone like auba waiting on their shoulder - nelson reminds me a lot of nasri oddly enough, very good technically but lacks the killer pace needed for an out and out winger. He'll be the one most people think wtf but I think he is another missing link, someone who knows how to dribble and pass a ball in midfield is something we've missed since santi.

Torreria base of the midfield - IMO the best best player for the position

Tierney loves getting forward and his crosses are absoloutely f##king lethal, think theyre better than baines in his prime.

Its a fairly mobile and young team which are all fairly good technically with a bit of size thrown in for good measure.

Impact

Established Member
Think what I want to see most this summer is a ruthless approach to sales.

I'd be happy to see all the below sold/released/returned:
  • Macey
  • Sokratis
  • Mustafi
  • Luiz
  • Marí
  • Kolasinac
  • Torreira
  • Ceballos
  • Elneny
  • Özil
  • Mkhitaryan
  • Lacazette

Get Saka signed and Auba too if possible or let him see out his contract anyway. Focus on implementing Arteta's philosophy. Add three top level players and fill the squad with Academy and other young talents:

Leno

Bellerín - Saliba - LCB - Tierney

RCM - Xhaka

ACM

Pépé - Aubameyang - Saka

Martínez

RB - Chambers - Holding - LB

Willock/Maitland-Niles - Guendouzi

Smith-Rowe

Nelson - Nketiah - Martinelli
Depending on the three/five signings, that team with good coaching and a bit of luck with injuries is a top six side.

Season after, our prospects will have had another full year's experience and we can then replace Xhaka and Auba in the first team and make decisions on Chambers and Holding.

Last edited:

nick gould

I wonder if it would be a bad idea to write the season off. Something similar happened to my other African club. The senior players went on strike, so the reserves were used to fulfil fixtures. When the senior players called off their strike, they were not automatically reinstated to the starting lineup. They had to prove themselves that they were way better than the reserves. In the end I think it was only 3 senior players who won their places back. The reserve team used the opportunity to jell together. They became the foundation on which a title winning team that won 5 consecutive titles was formed.

Our reserve team was playing very well in Europa league cup you know. I wonder how many so called first teamers would have won their place back if we adopted what I am advocating for.

Of course it's a pipe dream. There is so much money involved in football in this country. A manager could get sacked for benching the likes of Özil even though their performances on the pitch don't justify their selection.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
The only players that we should actively try and keep are Auba, Martinelli, Saka, Pepe, KT, Saliba and Leno. The rest should be for sale, raise as much money as possible, then sign a centre half (2 if possible), 2 midfielders and a wide player. Obviously won't happen though, but it's what has to be done.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Losing Torreira was a massive blow, and now it's even worse without Leno.

They should give up on chasing Europe this year (even EL) and focus on finding who's worth keeping.

I agree with the above, Auba, Martinelli, Saka, Pepe, KT, Saliba and Leno, that's all we have at the moment, would add Torreira and Chambers to that.

Arsenal Quotes

Nobody has enough talent to live on talent alone. Even when you have talent, a life without work goes nowhere

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom