• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Steve Sidwell

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomHero84

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saka
DC Gunner said:
RandomHero84 said:
I agree with elements of all of the above.Its certainly true that english players have their price tags escalated but i do get the feeling our scouting nets arent cast as vigorously locally.
I mean i wonder if the likes of rooney cld have been gotten hold of at a younger age.Wenger is incredible at unearthing them before they are exposed to the general public so to speak in most cases (i.e when rooney shone against us for the first season) but as a club we do SEEM to put our focus more on foreign territories.
That said however some of the deals we have had in the past few years have been phenomenal.
While I generally see where you are coming from, I still think that even Local youngsters are over priced, look @ Theo Walcott, how young he was when we got him, how much do you think he would have cost us had he been a foreigner !?

I absolutely agree.To some extent im playing devils advocate here and at times it may come across as contradictive.I personally have no problem with our team being so multinational and i think our englishness is based more in ownership than where your players are from.

As far as this "english have grit" thing goes i honestly dont understand some of that of which ive read.Its no different to saying all black guys love hip hop or something silly like that.Most important thing to me is that we see a bit more guts in the team next season, and i do hope we make some good signings even if its only 1 or 2, but i dotn think myself it takes english players to achieve that.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
bojed said:
is it confirmed that siddy's moving to chelsea?

or is it just a pure speculation?
educated guess more than pure speculation i think.. it was his preferred destination, and Mikel & Essien will be going to the AFC for a month or so, so Chelski would need CM cover at that point...

but i dont think anything has been confirmed yet

Viper

Established Member
It's a myth Chelsea would need central midfield cover.

Look at their midfielders:

Lassana Diarra
Makelele
Ballack
Lampard

Wide men:

J. Cole
SWP
Robben
Kalou

Off to the ACN:
Mikel
Essien

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
yeah, its a myth, but it would never stop them from signing him anyway... and as long as THEY would see it as an issue, then they could very well sign him...

i just hope he doesnt waste his time though... he needs to go somewhere that he will play all the time... which is why i just cannot understand why he is leaving.. they were a couple points out of Europe...

burnsjed

Established Member
As far as those bemoaning not having a better network for finding local talent, unfortunately after some rule changes that were made a few season ago, that is all we are left with nationall, local talent.

Teams are only allowed to court young talent thats is within a certain distnace from their ground, don't know what it is off hand.

This is to stop the likes of Man U and Arsenal snapping up all the talent, and also if we are in turn have too many players, some of the players growth would be effected.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
or is there a lack on english players in chelsea. remember that UCL rule that is set to take place? sidwell might be the answer since roman will provide little cash

stuart

Established Member
We are gonna be screwed over when that comes into play. If Wenger is so keen to build for the future then British players should be on his radar

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

if i am not wrong is that rule coming in during 08/09 UCL season?

8 home grown inclusive of 4 english players, should be possible.

Butcher
Gilbert Hoyte Conolly Traore
Barazite Randall Cesc Merida
Walcott Simpson

Mannone
Lansbury
Hoyte
Van Den Berg
Rui Fonte
O'Cearuill
Kieran Gibbs

Paddy from Sweden

Arsenal_Hleb,

I've heard that Lee Butcher will be among the youngsters who leave the club this summer. Ryan Garry will apparently also be among those.

Grampus_Eight

arsenal_hleb said:
or is there a lack on english players in chelsea. remember that UCL rule that is set to take place? sidwell might be the answer since roman will provide little cash

Let's wait to see if that's actually the case. Roman will not be able to resist making a bid for the likes of Eto'o, Villa, Berbatov. And they will buy a centre-back so long as Mourinho continues to consider Alex a liability.

Finally, they will also spend on a right back - whether its Miguel, Micah Richards, or Pascal Chimbonda.

That not spending bit in January had much more to do with uncertainty over Jose than any actual financial consideration.

NORTHLONDONGOONER!

Arsenal Hleb, you cannot start putting our youngsters into teams for the future, until they turn 18. Before 18, you do not even know if they are going to stay at the club, and turn professional or be released.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

NORTHLONDONGOONER! said:
Arsenal Hleb, you cannot start putting our youngsters into teams for the future, until they turn 18. Before 18, you do not even know if they are going to stay at the club, and turn professional or be released.
LOL. i was just trying to put a team for that rule. it was difficult though therefore i dugged into the youth team for more english players. read carefully. lol

I've heard that Lee Butcher will be among the youngsters who leave the club this summer. Ryan Garry will apparently also be among those.
oh i see. we are going to have serious problems coping with the rule if wenger don't do something. is youngster we signed from other clubs counted as a youth homegrown?

Zico

Established Member
I doubt this Champs League rule is imposed. The competing clubs would have to collectively accept it on an annual basis, I suspect. It seems to fall foul of European employment laws that lean towards non-discrimination amongst citizens of that Union.

As for Sidwell, I think he has a place at Chelsea. I suspect Makalele is on his way out or going to be playing fewer games.

Expect the first two names in the lineup to be untouchables Ballack and Essien. The line-up can then be completed with one or two of Lampard, Mikel and Sidwell, depending on the formation Mourinho employs.

I think that's an excellent rotation.

I'm not sure people are aware yet, but Essien/Mikel are going to be an irrepressible force within 2 or 3 years.

Glovegun

Established Member
Fair play to Sidwell. I hope he does well, although its grating to see our youth sold off to ****. I think suggesting he won't play is a little off the mark - most big teams have 2 players for every position, and Chelsea play with a minimum of 3 midfielders, sometimes 4 (Fatty, Ballack, Essien, Mikel). Sidwell will probably get as much game time at Chelsea as Denilson does here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

If you don't believe you can do it then you have no chance at all.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom