• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The need of genuine wingers in Arsenal team

jefree

The need of genuine wingers in Arsenal team

Whenever Arsenal lost to any team in England or in Europe, people will always point up to the lack of width in current team. People start to blame Rosicky and Hleb who provide little on the wings and then the name such as Ribery will pop up in the end. The need of out and out winger that will run to the byline and provide crosses into the box will always be brought up into discussion.

However, we need to make it clear to ourselves. Since when do Arsenal start playing with such strategy? We never have a proper winger in our team. Even Robert Pires, Freddie Ljungberg, Sylvain Wiltord, and Marc Overmars never were. They seldom run down the wing and provide crosses. Seldom as I say is not like the such of Jermain Pennant, Ryan Giggs, or Theo Walcott. They are true wingers. But Arsenal do never have one.

The winger in Arsenal's term is so called ''wide attacking midfielders''. It means, having an attacking midfielder who going to play wide. Robert Pires was a central attacking midfielder at Marseille before he joined Arsenal. Freddie Ljungberg was the same at Halmstad. Sylvain Wiltord was a top scorer as a striker back in France a year before he joined us. These kind of wide attacking midfielders are brought into our team not to play crosses, but mainly to provide goals and yet, able to play good passing football. That is why we always see them cutting inside from wide and score goals. That is why we are the only team in the world who have free scoring wingers who scores at least 10 goals per season. Name me any other team who have that record.

So, where do our width play come from? Before Arsène Wenger signed for Arsenal, Nigel Winterburn and Lee Dixon were the flat and static fullbacks who never going forward. But after Arsène Wenger took charge of this team, he encourages both of the fullbacks to go forward and support the attack. These two players were converted from a static fullback to a dynamic wingback. They were crucial in Wenger's new philosophy in order to provide width and crosses from wide.

Then comes into mind, why did Arsène Wenger make Patrick Vieira and Remi Garde, both are defensive midfielders as his first signings as Arsenal manager? This defensive midfield position is another vital factor of providing a balance when these two wingbacks bombarding forward to provide width and crosses. They are crucial to cover that wingbacks position when we are in attack.

Thus, it is now proven why Arsène Wenger likes to have an attacking minded and pacey wingbacks. Look at Clichy, Eboue, Traore or Gilbert. They all love to attack than defend. That defensive side can only be improved by experiences and playing time but the attacking instinct will never be developed. The pace is also important in order to track back whenever our attacks is broken up.

In the nutshell, I would like to justify that we don't really need to have genuine winger in our team. We just need to improve our style and make it fluent. Once that has been sorted out, we will be unstoppable and there will be no team in the world who can beat us.

That is why Arsène Wenger now in current team is putting Rosicky and Hleb wide. They have a very good link up play and also can play great one-two with wingbacks that will end up with an unstoppable crosses into the box. It is much easier to do this than having to dribble the fullback then launching a cross that will be easily shut down by a good and pacey fullback. Just look at the difference between Ronaldo vs Clichy and Eboue+Rosicky vs Evra during last triumph win against Manchester United.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Good article, but it's mythical to say Dixon and Winterburn never went forward under Graham- they just had to choose their moments rather than going forward hell for leather.

Wiltord was signed and often operated as a striker- though, IMHO, he never partnered TH14 very effectively, in fact his best performances up front came in TH's absence.

And I'm not sure, though he has proven very adept at crossing the ball, that Theo will be used as a winger for the duration of his career with us.

we are the only team in the world who have free scoring wingers who scores at least 10 goals per season. Name me any other team who have that record.

Cristiano Ronaldo has 13 goals for United this season. Take the number of goals Hleb and Rosicky have scored in the league this season, double it and he's still scored twice as many goals as the pair of them.

jefree

Cheers. This is the first ever article I have ever written in my life. Sorry for any facts that are not really accurate. :eek:ops:

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
No worries, I liked it enough to read- and spot your mistakes ;-) - it was good and I agreed with the sentiment, keep it up.

alonso14

Established Member
good article

I think Arsenal would suffer if they had a wing hugging player such as a Giggs or a Ronaldo....

You are at your most effective with midfielders cutting in and breaking from midfield beyond your strikers

At your most rampant it is unplayable

Good read though

stuart

Established Member
Surely 'genuine' wingers are there to hug the touchline and whip in crosses? That wouldn't suit us at all. Let's exclude Henry's and Robin's goals on Sunday for this ;)
Seriously though, how many times do we cross the ball and find 1 and ofter no players in the middle? It is not our style, Hleb and Rosicky cut inside and keep the passing going and can cut through a defence with one through ball, this is what all our strikers wan't .. to run onto balls not to head them in. A 'winger' could be useful for something new if we are fighting for the game (ala Manure) but i think if we wen't into a game with say SWP and Giggs out wide, we would struggle

A

Anonymous

I've put corrected some of the grammar errors and put this article up on the main site, to be published tomorrow morning (Friday).

Congratulations, you've raised a few good points that will spur discussion amongst our readers. :)

jefree

I got a message from a user named Marco today. I think he made a good point that can make us realize that Arsenal actually is playing like the Brazil National team where we are trying to emulate their samba style in our game.

Enjoy it.

Marco said:
Full backs providing the crosses is not something new, it is the way teams play here in Brazil for more than 20 years. In fact, i´ve always had troble thinking why the hell would a midfield go to the sidelines to cross, which seem to be the common in UK. The ordinary here is a 4-4-2 formation with crosses provided almost always by the full-backs. Take a look at the Brazilian national team. Both Roberto Carlos (LB) and Cafu (RB) are very attack minded players who seem to be much more confortable going forwards than marking in defense (altough is part of their job to mark the oponent who goes forwards through the sidelines). And it has been like this in 1982, for example, when we had the left back Junior a great crosser of the ball.

The way it works here in Brazil is when a full back goes forward, the defensive midfielder (Emerson / Ze Roberto) covers his side in defense, while the full back in the other side has to stay more close towards defense as he has no cover. The attacking midfielders (Ronaldinho / Kaka), altough they can actually appear as 'surprise men´and try to score themselves, their main goal is to pass the ball through to the forwards, putting them in a good scoring position, or what is more common, to feed the full backs (usually the attacking midfielders here in Brazil are the ones who do the 1-2 touch tables with the full backs), for the full backs to provide the crosses.

Arsenal Quotes

Dennis Bergkamp is the club's unconditional idol, a perfectionist whom I never saw make a careless technical move.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom