• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

This is frightening!

vin de guerre

IT is 118 years since Blackburn became the last team to win the FA Cup three times in a row.

Don’t bet against Arsène Wenger’s awesome Arsenal side emulating that marvellous feat this season.

In fact, if you’re smart, you won’t bet on the Gunners to lose a single domestic game throughout the campaign.

The Wenger boys are that good. There is no reason why they should not go through the entire term unbeaten.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2004001228,00.html

Natnat

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Vin we will be in that final at Cardiff.
The Wenger Boys are Coming(sing now in tune of we like to party by Vengerboys)

Andrew

Haven't they learned from last season? I think last season it was more the cockiness of the media rather than our own team. Not saying that we can't continue well, but this just shows how the media jump on and off bandwagons.

Arjan

Natnat said:
Vin we will be in that final at Cardiff.
The Wenger Boys are Coming(sing now in tune of we like to party by Vengerboys)

I think you mean, the venga bus is coming by the venga boys;
They suck, but some dutch DJ made himself abramovich style rich by selling tunes that everyone can sing along

Adam

Established Member
The rip off of Bob Marley's tune was really annoying. "We're going to Ibiza" Argghhhh. I also remember one of their first songs which ripped off "Can you feel it".

I digress - the media is fickle. Sometime we forget to dismiss it and start to debate it.

In fact, in football, it is hard to find balanced writers who surpass short term memory and have a great depth of knowledge.

Generally, It's such a passionate game and this encourages the shortening of the memory and emotion/passion/feelings override logic, long term memory, knowledge and understanding within the game.

reggiepaul

I think the broadsheets have a great knack of hiding bias and political bending but still for the sceptic and independent thinker reading can always be stimulating, while those who read to find like minded people or even watch and worship the media to adopt their train of thought would always bend to mass media and culture.

It's all somewhat cultural at the end of the day and many people will watch sky sports and listen to the pensioners knit their stories together, and to appear like a sky sports developed individual it will be become casual conversation for them. Point being, people will adopt the thoughts and opinions of mass media to appear they belong.

I personally still "rely" upon them for information but nothing more. I disagree with them generally and make my own mind up. If you follow football hard enough you'll develop a disinterest, disrespect and humour for the bollox sky sports, press and the like concoct. It makes little logic to the reality of the game. Sky Sports is so far from it and it makes me laugh how they echo songs louder than they are for games and exaggerate incidents for effect. It's crap journalism born from the mass intervention of TV. People like soap, people like sky sports - that's the logic I see.

Just rely upon them for information and develop your own opinions. They talk ****e - every single one of them. ( I mean ****e sports and the premiershit)

I like most broadsheet writers becuase there is a sense of integrity and unbias in their writing but they also express opinion with a humility too. Point being, I think they expect people to disagree with them while, trash media will use adjectives to hyperbole and blow up situations to keep people interested and viewing.

Worship TV, death to Sky Sports.

Adam

Established Member
Viewing is the only important thing. If all football was based on what was visual - then Arsenal would probably invoke even more mass praise.

reggiepaul

People love sensationalist things. Like soap operas are so far flung from real life it's laughable but they are watched on their exaggeration.

When I watch football programmes overseas there is little exaggeration but what I admire most about overseas programming is the emphasis on passion for the game which should always be the reasoning behind this. Instead we get some monkey sensationalising in a rough northern accent and another speaking in received pronunciation giving that intellectual edge, but again sensationalised. So, all pockets of our cultures are covered to be coerced to their way of thinking.

One of the reasons watching these matches is dull and actually being there is better. Then next best are pubs that play music while you watch which are great because you don't have to listen to their crap during the game.

I do think we need more and more praise. We play football that is admired and this is the best I have seen us play ever. Double 98 was good but before that Bergs, Limpar, Overmars, Silvinho and Wright we're lone guns beginning this phase of Arsenal off. Now all this crap that gets sensationalised where we exaggerate total rubbish like tackles and give gratuitous length to incidents amplified in 24 hour news format is stupid.

We have players like Kolo, Henry, Pires, Wiltord (etc) blitzing and flowing past players that are throughly behind their time.

This is why, right now, being there and actually experiencing it pisses all over watching it on TV. That's the difference between reality and fiction.

Adam

Established Member
I also think that the pundits on these shows say sensationalist things to try and book their future appearances on the footy shows. They talk things up, glamour it up, to make what they say more interesting hence they get more work as being an "interesting" pundit.

Lawrenson, Hansen. Prime. The ones the BBC occasionally brings in are ok, but they still try to prove their worth as pundits. Remember, these are ex pros trying to make a living out of analysing the game.

The Sky stand in analysts are often dreadfull. Nigel Winterburn had nothing to say! Mclintock isn't too bad; he knows he is guaranteed long term money from Sky. The stand ins and new analysts who are ex pro's have to impress by means of sensationalism.

Watch out for them!

zerofeel

The media has found a very clever way to offput Arsenal's focus and winning habit by writing sensational flair injected articles just to jump on Arsenal's coattail when they are winning and looking formidable but underneath all the niceties,theres a disdain disgust for Arsenal as the media loves to hate us since its always been MANURE that represent the champion of british football and Arsenal isnt considered british since the powers that be have a dislike for the the players that Arsenal field...but i think they are just jealous and angry that Arsenal can be this good and strong despite having problems on and off the field ever so often..oh well,if they are not with us they are against us...lets just concentrate on football and nothing else propaganda.. :mrgreen:

reggiepaul

Well it's something someone said to me recently which summed it up to a tee. These programmes are dumbed down for the masses. It's slightly cruel really but I think people really want fast information and it's all the more better for some if someone on TV can do the thinking for you.

Think the News, Think talk shows, Think Pop Idol, Think Glorified Karaoke Singers and Butlins Red Coats, Think Who wants to be a millionaire...

Back to overseas, coverage is amazing and it covers what people actually want while over here the media basically force feeds the public with what they want to give them and sell it with misleading soundbites and indirect captions.

I like the BBC too but not as passionate as things can be. Nigel Winterburn I gave up when I heard him say a player used technique and his leg to score a goal - it's like YES, what do you expect him to use? A cucumber?

It is really the justification of time. They have to justify the time they are on TV with something that makes GOOD tv. They are not brought in for their insight but because they are past footballers for the producers to coax in to a certain way of thinking, creating an air of conversation that doesn't actually exist but the public think - ooh they're talking football, they must be right because they are on TV (since TV is so important).

reggiepaul

zerofeel said:
The media has found a very clever way to offput Arsenal's focus and winning habit by writing sensational flair injected articles just to jump on Arsenal's coattail when they are winning and looking formidable but underneath all the niceties,theres a disdain disgust for Arsenal as the media loves to hate us since its always been MANURE that represent the champion of british football and Arsenal isnt considered british since the powers that be have a dislike for the the players that Arsenal field...but i think they are just jealous and angry that Arsenal can be this good and strong despite having problems on and off the field ever so often..oh well,if they are not with us they are against us...lets just concentrate on football and nothing else propaganda.. :mrgreen:

...and after this post zerofeel created an al qaeda like underground outfit of revolutionary and rebellious gooners who chase journalists up and down streets with custard pies and rotten tomatoes.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Frank McLintock, the most biased man to ever work for Sky Sports- but don't we just love him!

Don't ever change Frankie... :lol:

reggiepaul

I just can't read Myles Palmer. It's not really an article but lots and lots of statements and lots of them(!) and all of them are far too absolute to be taken seriously in a footballing sense because football just can't be like that BUT I can see how he can be popular amongst some because some people want answers, the truth (you can't handle the truth! (which is what someone should say to the people who read it).

The truth is football is great because it is open ended, there is no absolute and there is no answer. There are well created and structured arguments but if all Myles Palmer gives is statements - it puts me to sleep.

Plus, Myles, NO it is not a news review. A news review, reviews the news - you are just talking. In sentences. In statements.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
He was actually a Chelsea fan, who happened to cover Arsenal Press Conferences and AGM's for the Arseweb, if memory serves correctly

reggiepaul

I have also heard he supported Sp**s (as well as Chelsea) and he once mentioned he supported many teams.

Arsenal Quotes

I didnt score as many as I hoped, but it was nice that I always scored against Tottenham

Charlie Nicholas
Top Bottom