• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UCL - Arsenal vs Shakhtar Donetsk - Tue 19th Oct 7:45pm| SS2

Y va marquer

Established Member
:lol:

The only issue I had with the game was that the first half was dull!

Maybe I'm just not used to watching us play without feeling any fear or anxiety?

The second half goals and our play in general made up for the lack of excitement in the first half.

lagos

Established Member
I remmember people wetting themselves when we thrashed that crap team 6-0, well at the time some of us said the goal line was flattering as the opposition was really poor and of course we were called sad sacks who can't enjoy a victory. If I recall in our next 2 games we went on to draw against Sunderland and lost at home to West Brom. This was a slightly more enjoyable victory but it really says nothing as weren't tested! Honestly I prefer a hard fought 1-0 or coming from behind to win 2-1 like against Birmingham to a game when we never got past 2nd gear and are 5-0 up! It tends to give us a false sense of how good we are!

lagos

Established Member
I remmember people wetting themselves when we thrashed that crap team 6-0, well at the time some of us said the goal line was flattering as the opposition was really poor and of course we were called sad sacks who can't enjoy a victory. If I recall in our next 2 games we went on to draw against Sunderland and lost at home to West Brom. This was a slightly more enjoyable victory but it really says nothing as weren't tested! Honestly I prefer a hard fought 1-0 or coming from behind to win 2-1 like against Birmingham to a game when we never got past 2nd gear and are 5-0 up! It tends to give us a false sense of how good we are!

Anzac

Established Member
As I said at half time I enjoyed the scoreline/result, but wasn't happy about the lineup or performance & have given an indication as to why.

IMO such Group games are bread & butter more often than not. We have a habit of gaining a result when it means little so far as the season is concerned, but because of a lack of discipline we are unable to do so consistantly when it counts. These results are akin to our being no more than 'flat track bullies' & our reliance upon the quality of key players.

I don't give a rat's that we have scored 14 goals in the CL thus far, or that our best result in the PL thus far has been against a 10 man Blackpool. I don't support AFC to primarily be entertained by such games - I want to know that we are capable of doing so when it counts & as yet we are unable to do so. As such IMO there is more 'merit' in CFC's ability to repeat these types of results in the PL, but that doesn't mean I actually like them.

Y va marquer

Established Member
lagos

I'm not sure anyone is suggesting that this result means that the problems we've seen in our recent losses have been fully addressed or eradicated.

I don't think tonight's game revealed anything new - just confirmed that at the Emirates we can thrash any team that does not have a tight, tough and organised defence.

Though it's always good to see plenty of goals especially quality goals like Nasri's and Wilshere's. :)

otfgoon

Established Member
lagos said:

The you must have hated the invincibles era then because we did it all the time.

I honestly don't care about any supposed problems or flaws that were evident in this game, that can be saved from other threads or in the build up to another game. It's just a little sad if all you can do when your team is knocking in the goals in a comfortable win is moan.

But anyway, whatever works for you.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
lagos said:
Sure, if one likes to hold false and empty beliefs.

CandysRoom

Established Member
Just watched the game and Yay we won!

5-1 is a damn good result, with some good performances all round. Wilshere get's a good un and both Chamakh and Nasri continue scoring(However much they get vilified in some quarters, they're banging the goals in. Good to see Cesc said his hamstring feels fine, and nice to see Theo get a run-out.

All in all, this is the best possible scenario to be in as we head into the game with city. Whether it will be enough we'll find out on sat.

Well happy :)

lagos

Established Member
All I'm saying is enjoy these games for what they are but don't start getting carried away that they mean anything.

The difference with the invincibles was thet they would win these sorts of games at a canter and beat Sunderland and West brom after. They would beat Shackter and you'd know they'd beat City at home.

Like you said whatever works for you I enjoyed the 90 minutes, I just didn't start drawing crazy conclusions and getting carried away afterwards.

otfgoon

Established Member
Fair enoguh Lagos, though to be fair I don't think anyone is getting carried away, just enjoying the game/goals for what they are, and perhaps a little bit of hope/confidence into the next game too.

Gunner_JT

Eduardo's goal was class. Haven't seen him finish so well since the Burnley goal.

I'm also getting excited at the Wilshere-Fabregas combo that has the potential to wreak havoc. Wilshere gets better every game and has gotten familiar with the team now. I thought Cesc was a bit sloppy which is understandable but he makes a huge difference in our team in terms of tempo and ball movement, something we've sorely lacked recently. I didn't think we'd beat Shakhtar that comfortably as they are a good side but it wasn't their day and once they chased goals we were always going to rack up a few with the open spaces.

Iloveyouarsenewenger

Established Member
I was satisfied primarily because I could see that we never really got out of the first gear. (except for a small spell where we scored two quick goals)The scoreline was that good because our finishing was brilliant. At one point of time, we had seven shots on goal, six on target and five goals!

It was the perfect game to have before the City fixture. Now we can start thinking about the real big game.

Iloveyouarsenewenger

Established Member
And although, it might be an over-statement, the way Denilson keeps the ball and ensures that the possession stays with us has a touch of Xavi in it.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Good result, decent performance- not great, but then it never really needed to be. We were efficient in front of goal. I have to say one thing that annoyed me was Clichy spending almost the entire 2nf half in their final third. Ricky, I agree with you and Captain that Arshavin weakens us significantly, but in their goal, Clichy was not caught upfield because he was pressing, he was bombing forward at will and trying to score himself! And I mean he did this constantly even though Douglas Costa was their only real threat. I know we were winning 5-0 but I just wish our defenders could show full professionalism for 90 minutes and treat a clean sheet with the respect it deserves.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
Can't believe I missed 2 epic games. Had to because of vacations though :(

How did our team do? Anyone can summarise the positives in the last 2 games?

Arsenal Quotes

Arsène Wenger's idea is not only to play good football. It's to play good football to win. In my day, we knew that with our style we could hurt teams and win trophies too. But we did it our way, with the positional game, passing, movement.

Dennis Bergkamp
Top Bottom