• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UEFA Champions League 2008-09

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
ibby said:
And he didn't bottle it in the final last year, he was running his socks off and played two delicious cross field balls in that game that put Tevez through only for him to f**k it up. He got subbed in extra time because he ran his ass off all game, you know, just like Fabregas did for us in the final when he got subbed.
Talking about that final, Chelsea absolutely deserve to win it. Outclassed them for the whole match...

ricky1985 said:
I love the way everyone is now turning on Fergie, all the papers insinuating that his tactics lost them the game. Er, newsflash, Fergie has never been a great tactician, he has simply always had the best players, and when he doesn't, he invariably loses.

I've read journalists making excuses for Michael Carrick, Anderson and Wayne Rooney (and others). It's utter bollox. Man United played exactly the same way they have played in every big game for the last 3 seasons. They were simply beaten by the better team. Rooney wasn't poor because of Ferguson, Rooney was poor because of Rooney. He had chances to positively impact the game, and he failed time, after time, after time - world class player, don't make me laugh.
Spot on. Utterly spot on

ibby

Established Member
1st half United were better, 2nd half Chelsea were better, extra-time I think both teams were too tired to do anything productive (apart from Drogba slapping Vidic of course).

ricky1985

Established Member
ibby said:
ricky1985 said:
Rooney got in some very promising positions last night and did absolutely nothing with the opportunities. He bottled it on the big occassion, just like he did in the final last year where he was substituted, hence the reason I don't think he can be called a world class player. Playing neat through balls and scoring goals against West Ham or Tottenham doesn't make you a world class player.

When was the last time Rooney scored against one of the big 4 teams in the League, or even put on a good performance in one of those games?

Rooney wasn't United's biggest disappointment, Carrick, Vidic, Anderson and Giggs were much much poorer.

And he didn't bottle it in the final last year, he was running his socks off and played two delicious cross field balls in that game that put Tevez through only for him to f**k it up. He got subbed in extra time because he ran his ass off all game, you know, just like Fabregas did for us in the final when he got subbed.

I also like how you worded your question, 'in the league' so we don't mention anything about his performance against us in the champions league. Also, you are forgetting how many times Rooney has scored against Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea in his career.

Last time Rooney scored against one of the Top 4 was Chelsea in November, when they beat them 3-0, precisely 3 games go (against one of the Top 4).

Ibby, just tell me honestly, I wont think any less of you - are you a Man United fan?

ibby

Established Member
In terms of the Top 4, I hate United the most. I'll actually extend on that, I hate them more than any other team in football.

ricky1985

Established Member
Fair enough Ibby. You hide your hatred disturbingly well though.

On the subject of United, I was positively delighted when I heard Fergie and co. after the game, when all they could talk about was how they were undone by their inability to 'retain possession'. Like Barcelona won because they have some amazing ability to 'retain the ball'.

It's the * view of every Britsh team, except Arsenal, and applies to the national team also. They think that 'possession football' is something you do when you've scored and it involves passing the ball around from centreback to centreback, occassionally to the centre midfielder, until you decide to attack by launching the ball direct or crossing it etc.
Barcelona don't retain possesion, you don't win games by retaining possession. Barcelona pass and move in the most progressive fashion that they can manufacture. Short, fast passing, playing forward as often as you can. The British teams just don't get it.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
I just rewatched the final. One thing I find it amazing is how Barca manage to soak up any attack by United and then find their own player. Every long ball is headed away to its own player, every clearance find its own player as well. Incredible tbh. In this way Barca never lose possesion at all. Even after attacking corners, Manure head away but only find a Barca player waiting there. I don't know if its tactical positioning or what.

Also, something I find interesting is that all of their passes are very positive. Compared to us, if Toure had the ball in his half he will pass it sideway or to Al. Denilson have the ball and he will do the same. Pique had the ball and was pressurized by 2 manure player and he turned and passed it to Iniesta in space. Iniesta and Xavi also passes to each other through tiny holes past the manure midfield. Absolutely fantastic play tbh.

A_Gooner_Matata

Established Member
Clrnc said:
I just rewatched the final. One thing I find it amazing is how Barca manage to soak up any attack by United and then find their own player. Every long ball is headed away to its own player, every clearance find its own player as well. Incredible tbh. In this way Barca never lose possesion at all. Even after attacking corners, Manure head away but only find a Barca player waiting there. I don't know if its tactical positioning or what.

Also, something I find interesting is that all of their passes are very positive. Compared to us, if Touré had the ball in his half he will pass it sideway or to Al. Denilson have the ball and he will do the same. Pique had the ball and was pressurized by 2 manure player and he turned and passed it to Iniesta in space. Iniesta and Xavi also passes to each other through tiny holes past the manure midfield. Absolutely fantastic play tbh.

Yeah, I agree with you but I think the highlighted bit is mostly down to luck. Everything was going right for Barca and wrong for United. You get games like that.

Arsenal Quotes

What does Arsenal mean? It means class. The structure of the Club, everything has a classy feel about it. It isn't always about success, there is more than that and this is what makes it a cut above the rest.

Charlie Nicholas

Latest posts

Top Bottom