• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Check

At this rate, we need to seriously examine how big of a mistake it might have been not signing Arteta as our new coach.

Clearly, Arteta has no head coach experience, but all we have to do is look at Erik ten Haag at Ajax.

Prior to coaching at Ajax his only coaching experience was Go Ahead Eagles in the Dutch second division, coaching Bayern II, and finally two seasons at F Utrecht. Learning from Pep Guardiola at Bayern was a pivotal stage in his coaching career. Also, Erik had a far less successful coaching career.

Arteta has quickly become one of Pep's trusted assistants, and as our former captain, he clearly knew the club inside and out.

I'm growing increasingly more confident that Arteta would have been a far better choice than Emery.
Ten Hag is a little bit overhyped at the moment. Back in January everyone wanted him sacked after a 4-4 draw against Heerenveen and a 6-2 loss against Feyenoord and the fact that he can't present himself towards the media. With the team he currently has (with 2 of the biggest world talents there are at the moment with De Ligt and De Jong) they should've already been champions.
On the other hand, fair play to what he has achieved in the CL. But Ten Hag and Ajax in general are a little bit overhyped at the moment.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Out of curiosity, do you think Emery is the manager for a multi year rebuild? I think an established manager would baulk at this and I wonder if the pro Arteta fans were on the right path.

Hard to say, imo the board should tell him the direction and what the conditions will be and it’d be his choice to stay or go.

At the end of the day we’re still clearing out the remnants of the Gazidis era. Emery was a Gazidis hire so he may not last the rebuild.

The club’s in need of a new figurehead, we’ve been directionless for years.

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
I love mikel but come on you can't hire manager to replace a guy been here for 20 years
Mikel would've done the sensible thing and bought direct wingers at least. People bang on about the defense being bad, but it's the lack of direct wingers that is the most noticeable thing to me, especially when we play away. We can differ on that, but those kinds of players take pressure off the defense by scaring the opposition.

al-Ustaadh

At this rate, we need to seriously examine how big of a mistake it might have been not signing Arteta as our new coach.

Clearly, Arteta has no head coach experience, but all we have to do is look at Erik ten Haag at Ajax.

Prior to coaching at Ajax his only coaching experience was Go Ahead Eagles in the Dutch second division, coaching Bayern II, and finally two seasons at F Utrecht. Learning from Pep Guardiola at Bayern was a pivotal stage in his coaching career. Also, Erik had a far less successful coaching career.

Arteta has quickly become one of Pep's trusted assistants, and as our former captain, he clearly knew the club inside and out.

I'm growing increasingly more confident that Arteta would have been a far better choice than Emery.
Was my first choice. Many know that. But I'm still willing to give Emery another season. I don't want to turn into the club that starts binning managers on emotional whims.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

No, I think whilst the idea sounds good, it could really go either way.

Could've been great but easily a disaster.

I think getting Emery was actually a good decision all things considered, but hopefully he can re-evaluate some things over the summber and see what happens next season.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Maybe greasy Mike will get tired of winning trophies with City and come to save us...

A man can dream.
Hopefully he try at some club in some la liga 2 before managing top 6 clubs. Just like Viera or even Campbell I like thier coaching career so far

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
You can't be serious with this post.

The only time we should sack a manager is if we're fighting relegation? This is Arsenal.

I know you put in the caveat of "every season". But who is asking to change managers every season? The discussion is about the current manager.

Our floor cannot be that low. Different clubs have different standards. At Barcelona, you get sacked for not winning the league or CL.

At Arsenal, the standard MUST be higher than "fighting relegation" or dismissing all criticism with "well it could be going worse in so many more ways."

What kind of attitude is that to have?

We are in the semi final of the EL and close to the top 5 th in EPL. But multiple people on this thread want Emery gone. Please correct me if this is not the case.

OK. So lets say he goes.

It's easily possible the next manager won't even achieve that. So he also needs to be sacked by the same criteria multiple people are applying for Emerys dismissal in this thread right now. So what you have is a sacked manager for two consecutive years etc...

Gamefaced

I'm giving Emery a chance, but seriously his remit has to be to get rid of the dross and get in the quality we need in the positions we need it most. He has had a good look at the players now and will know who is letting him down and what is needed to improve the team.

I fully expect Emery to defend the players now as we are still playing for a lot, but once the season is finished I expect the tone towards the players and outlook of the team to change a bit. Be more about identifying the need to make changes and be ruthless.

I expect to see changes in the summer with out goings and in comings - New wingers, midfielders and defenders e.t.c. Anything less and I will not have faith in him being able to change the overall results with this current personnel.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
We are in the semi final of the EL and close to the top 5 th in EPL. But multiple people on this thread want Emery gone. Please correct me if this is not the case.

OK. So lets say he goes.

It's easily possible the next manager won't even achieve that. So he also needs to be sacked by the same criteria multiple people are applying for Emerys dismissal in this thread right now. So what you have is a sacked manager for two consecutive years etc...

Your last paragraph could have been written during Wenger's last season.

It wasn't a reason to keep Wenger then and it isn't a reason to keep Emery now. Judge Emery on his own merits not the possibility, yes the mere possibility that the next manager MIGHT be worse.

FYI, It's also easily possible that the next manager could achieve far more. Neither of us has a crystal ball so stop fear mongering.

I've given Emery credit for the cup semi-final, he got us past Napoli and a few other tricky ties, great. We might even win it for the first time in our history, fantastic. We also haven't tumbled down the premier league table to 8th or 10th, lovely.

We also aren't playing good football week in, week out and some of the decisions he has made have been baffling. Take his half time substitutions, praised by all sundry but that praise ignores the fact that he got his starting XI wrong time and time again. The poor starting XI leading to the necessary half time changes.

al-Ustaadh

How do you know this? And with what money?
Assumptions, of course, but the Pep influence would've been there in my opinion... I mean... Look at the players he's been working with and the system they run. It's even clear we've needed a couple of direct wingers like that since his days at the club.

Not sure about the money part. But I wouldn't be surprised if they decided on Emery because he said he'd work with the dross and get them into the CL, whereas Arteta probably told them the truth of how **** the squad was and how much investment was needed.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Your last paragraph could have been written during Wenger's last season.

It wasn't a reason to keep Wenger then and it isn't a reason to keep Emery now. Judge Emery on his own merits not the possibility, yes the mere possibility that the next manager MIGHT be worse.

FYI, It's also easily possible that the next manager could achieve far more. Neither of us has a crystal ball so stop fear mongering.

I've given Emery credit for the cup semi-final, he got us past Napoli and a few other tricky ties, great. We might even win it for the first time in our history, fantastic. We also haven't tumbled down the premier league table to 8th or 10th, lovely.

We also aren't playing good football week in, week out and some of the decisions he has made have been baffling. Take his half time substitutions, praised by all sundry but that praise ignores the fact that he got his starting XI wrong time and time again. The poor starting XI leading to the necessary half time changes.

Its Emery's first season. It was Wengers 21st season, you can't possibly give them identical criteria for dismissal mate.

To want Emery gone after ONE year based on this seasons performance is naive, short-sighted and unreasonable. The mention of "not playing good football" is also baffling as, by your own admission, we don't know what will happen next season - a few players swapped out, manager bedded in a bit more we might be playing champagne sexy football every week, you're also guilty of fear mongering as you don't know if things will get better next season with the current manager.

I do have a crystal ball. Its called Patron Anejo Tequila. In moderation, it allows me to see the big picture clearly.

I personally have my doubts Emery is Arsenals next "chosen one" manager for next golden age, but let him keep the hot-seat warm for a bit more time for the love of god!!

Last edited:

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
Its Emery's first season. It was Wengers 21st season, you can't possibly give them identical criteria for dismissal mate.

To want Emery gone after ONE year based on this seasons performance is naive, short-sighted and unreasonable. The mention of "not playing good football" is also baffling as, by your own admission, we don't know what will happen next season - a few players swapped out, manager bedded in a bit more we might be playing champagne sexy football every week, you're also guilty of fear mongering as you don't know if things will get better next season with the current manager.

I do have a crystal ball. Its called Patron Anejo Tequila. In moderation, it allows me to see the big picture clearly.

I personally have my doubts Emery is Arsenals next "chosen one" long term manager for next golden age, but let him keep the hot-seat warm for a bit more time for the love of god!!

Baffling? Have you seen us in the past 5 games? Or the entire season? If you want the manager to stay I get that, but it can't reasonably be said that we have played good football for the majority of the season, it just isn't true.

What is the floor for you then if you don't want Emery gone after this season?

I don't see what the issue is over this being his first season. Funny enough for all Emery fans in here love to talk about Klopp or Guardiola they conveniently ignore the vast number of managers Liverpool and City sacked to get those two in the hot seat to begin with. Some of whom won trophies and actual league titles.

This is my perspective on keeping/sacking a manager. Sometimes if you want to progress, you have to just rip the band-aid off rather than stretching things out. It's like trying to hold onto a marriage that is heading for divorce. Sure you can give it another year or two to try and make it work for the kids or what have you but eventually, those divorce papers will be signed. I don't think Emery is the guy long term, I'm not seeing any seeds of a future great Arsenal manager. Hence I would rather he go now, or early next season so we can get in someone who is the guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Religiously, it is said that God created man. I am only a guide. I allow others to express what they have in them. I have not created anything. I am a facilitator of what is beautiful in man.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom