• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Vieira who?/charity shield match summary

• Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date
  • Replies 18
  • Views 712
A

Anonymous

The message i got off my newcastle mate. Pretty much sums up our performance yesterday. Now i didnt go due to finanaces but all things seemed to have gone beautifully. Watched the game twice and i must say it was very enjoyable to watch. Every one of our players played well. So many stand outs. All these pundits and idiots that say arsenal are a nothing team without vieira have just been made to look very very silly. Look back to last year when he was injured, did we struggle? NO. And today, cesc was amazing. For a small lad he gets proper stuck in and never gave up. He made keane look like a *****. Reyes, well, what can i say, im putting 20 quid on him to be young player of the year, he looked just like henry, running in and out of everyone. Pennant also looked class, looked much better than freddie too be honest.
Clichy was the 4th amazing performer after coming on. He just ran round players for fun. Vieira will be a total mug to leave after watching this team. I really do think that this current arsenal team/squad is better than last year and we really could be destined for huge things.

player ratings=

lehmann 7 - solid game, his kicking was ****ing piss poor, but apart from that made some saves.

cole 7 - not his best game, gave it away abit, but settled in and looked class towards the end

cygan 7 - didnt need to do much but was solid enough

toure 7 - same as cygan

lauren 6 - the poorest of our players, got done a few times and was out of position abit, no threat on the right either.

reyes 10 - totally class, should of scored the empty goal when he went round the keeper though

pennant 9 - also class, should of scored as well.

cesc 9 - never looked out of depth, he definately deserves games, tackled well, passed well, determined.

gilberto 8 - did solidly well, still cant pass more than 5 yards.

henry 7 - did nufin much

bergy 7 - same as thierry

clichy 9 - if he played for abit longer im sure he would of challenged reyes for MOM. He skinned players at ease and looked amazing once again. Bearing in mind he was playing left mid which he int done much at our level.

Never have nor never will take much for the CS curtain rasing. I think it sums if up when Seaman takes one of our pens in a shoot out a few years back.

Having said that it's always nice to win it, one because it means that you have either won the EPL or the FA cup in the prior season. And it's a nice way to start the season.

Over the course of the next 9 months we will be a weaking squad without PV, and i for one would love to see him stay.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
I don't think it's that we won it, it's the way we won it and made United look second rate.

Bergkamp was class yesterday, I thought.

OneteaminLondon said:
I don't think it's that we won it, it's the way we won it and made United look second rate.

On the day yes we were top draw, but please don't think for one minute you will see the same performance from ManUre on Weds night in the CL game, or at the Bridge this Sunday.

I don't wanna take the shine of our performance yesterday, but at the same time i don't read too much into it.

tox

I don't think pennant played that well at all. His touch seemed tentative, and his passing was not great. He looks good though and with more confidence i can see him getting a lot of games this year. True say about clichy, when he came on he was amazing.

KingReyes

Established Member
OneteaminLondon said:

We definately were the better team yesterday and there is alot of potential in that team to make it a promising season and future. I'm not going to get too excited though. Last time I got excited after a Charity Shield match was after the 3-0 win over United in 98. We ended up winning nothin and they won the treble. :(

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Heheh true, but for players like Pennant, and I disagree with tox here, Clichy and Reyes to play so well in this type of match can only be good for us

A

Anonymous

Yeh i dont mean winning it means all that much, just how we did it. We looked very crisp for a first game and looked really strong. I though pennant did really well.

Aussie

Established Member
Cygan showed to me that he is more than capable of playing a quite a few games this season.

Adam

Established Member
This Vieira thread can stay as it also player ratings, but i would prefer you state that in the title of the thread so as to differentiate Guv.

KingReyes

Established Member
Aussie said:
Cygan showed to me that he is more than capable of playing a quite a few games this season.

Agreed, also well done to Gilberto. He was great in midfield and seemed to take responsibilty. Also ran through for the first and was involved in the second. Hope he can keep that sort of form going.

Andrew

I thought Lauren was one of our better players. He was always giving Smith a hard time. I watched the match twice as well and was impressed with his committment and physicallness. No wonder he was named in team of the season last season.

But apart from that I mostly agree with you. No one had a poor performance. Clichy was fantastic and Pennant suprised me. I never pictured him fitting in but he did that so well in this match. And as a right winger, you may say he's more effective than Freddie.

Reyes was fantastic. If he can consistently play like that then :shock: Definitely a good bet for young player of the year.

pamilih

To survive an odd one or two games without Vieira can be done. To survive the whole season without him is a different matter.

beanz

I missed the match as I was away camping (no tv or radio) & just got a text message from No1 son after the game, all the posts on here seem very positive.
Let's hope we can break the CS hex about winning the EPL as well :mrgreen:

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Have faith pamilih, we survived months without him last season, in fact did he not play in all our defeats last season, except the home leg of the CC?

Andrew

Vieira's role at Arsenal is overrated. Countless times in the past year or two he has been injured or suspended and we have coped. We will continue to do so. One player does not decide the fate of the club.

KoLo28

I think Bergkamp should have got a 9 or an 8 - wonderful vision and passing to set up two goals, and i don't think ljungberg should be too scared of pennant.

Loylz

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Pennant played his socks off, and if he continues to do the same I see no reason why he should be second choice all the time. The can be like Edu and Gilberto, with one playing when the other is off form.

Arsenal Quotes

When you give success to stupid people, it makes them more stupid sometimes and not more intelligent.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom