• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Week no.17: Pascal CYGAN

bobbypires

Established Member
He did a decent 2003/2004 season as a central defender and demonstrated that the wing wasn't made for him. A few mistakes cost him Arsenal fans' appreciation and he might leave us this summer.

Name Pascal Cygan
Born 29 April 1974, Lens
Position Defender
Country France
Height 192 cm / 6'3
Weight 87kg / 101lb
Joined Arsenal 11 July 2002
Arsenal Debut Premier League v Chelsea (a)
1st Sep 2002 (Drew 1-1)
Previous Clubs Valenciennes, Wasquehal, Lille

Do you want him to stay or not? Why?

Aussie

Established Member
bobbypires said:
demonstrated that the wing wasn't made for him.

LOL!

Never know Wenger just may well chuck him in as a striker this year and you never know. He could score 30 goals. :wink:

He has the pace to be a quality striker.

Do i want him to stay?

Yes.

Why?

Cause with Sol out for a while we could be short at the back. While he aint no Kolo he has improved. Maybe usefull in Europe as well.

kutz

Yep, you don't let a guy go that has what he's got when you've got little or no cover in that position.

Simple.

efurze

He's improved since coming over, but he still makes me nervous. Seems like we should be able to do better. Can't see him staying past this season. He ain't going anywhere for now tho - we need him!

calvinngai88

Arnie said:
he looked good against ajax

I'm not a Cygan-hater or whatever. Cygan's definitely playing better against Ajax than River. Was calm in some clearances and interceptions. But at times, he was at a loss, luckily, he was surrounded by a helpful group of teamates who helped him out. I'll say he's above average for that game, but not good yet. Hopefully, he can do better in the absence of Campbell.

johe

Excellent backup, IMO as good as they get and are still willing to warm the bench. I would feel safe with him and Kolo starting against Everton, who will propably just punt the ball long and high, and with Cygan's aerial ability that should be no problemo. :)

Like Aussie said, he's useful in Europe as well, due to his experience in the CL, both with Lille and with Arsenal.

All in all solid, experienced, ballplaying centreback. :wink:

calvinngai88

With Rooney out injured probably, the starting strikers would be Kevin Campbell and Duncan Ferguson, both whom are good in air. Cygan's definitely good in air, but what if both of the Everton strikers turn on their second gear? Ferguson definitely has the technique and pace to evade Cygan.

johe

Ferguson!?! The guy is a nutcase, and I reckon he has about as much pace as Cygan does anyway! :D I think we should have no problem with Campbell and Ferguson, as Everton would propably boot it up field for them to head it on, and with our centre-backs aerial ability we should deal with it.

Serip

Cygan should definately stay:

1. He's great backup

2. Good in the air

3. He's 30 years old so he has another 2 years with him at least with Arsenal, enough time Senderos to develop as a player

4. Whenever called upon he gives a good if unspectacular performance, very consistent

5. He has settled well into his role as 3rd CB, replacing him would achieve nothing as the Campbell-Toure partnership is so strong and any new arrival would not want to be a bench warmer and could hinder Senderos' development

Basically he's not brilliant but he's in the right team at the right time and i'm happy to have him play for Arsenal.

Mark

Established Member
Useful backup. Only problem is his pace, but since he is just backup it won't matter too much. A good player to have in case of injuries. Hopefully he will do well when filling in for Sol at the start of the season.

Henry IV

I want him to stay. He improved last season after a shaky start and we do look a bit light at the back. Wenger managed him well and didn't slate him at all. Wenger built up Pascal's confidence well and he did play a key role when we were missing Lauren and Toure had to go to right back.

johe

He played some games at left back in his first season, and he came on in that position home against Newcastle this year. Not that he's a good left-back, just thought I'd mention it. :lol:

nnaife

we should find someone who would increase the pressure on Campbell or Toure to perform well. Always go for quality in defence especially if you want to win the Champions league. There are better cbs out there and we shouldn't at all feel afraid to get one.
Sorry but cygan is limited at the top level.

Jinn

Established Member
He's not had the best time of it at Arsenal. Coming from France, where he was player of the season one time, he's had to try to adapt to the pace and physicality of the Premier League, which is different to the football played on the Continent.

Some less than convincing displays saw him drop down the pecking order in his first season, and the emergence of Toure in defence last year effectively ended his chances of being a regular first-teamer. Despite question marks over his ability and pace, his attitude is top notch. He trained hard last year, playing in the Carling Cup (which must have been a blow to his pride), and then when injuries opened up another opportunity, he grabbed it - providing some good displays in the Champions League especially.

Unfortunately, he doesn't seem technically up there in terms of the quality needed at Arsenal. It's a pity for his sake that he couldn't get a move back to France this summer. However he'll provide adequate backup for our Sol and Kolo, and perhaps can help to pass on some experience to Senderos, Garry and Hoyte.

Andrew

I'm a fan of Cygan. He's not our best player but he's a very, very good back-up. His first season wasn't his best but he didn't let us down at all last season. He played a lot especially towards the start of it. I think judge him on those performances and, despite his lack of pace, he does a very decent job.

Arnie

i was watching the match thinking i would apologise to him today, he played well, but he's at least a one mistake a season player. Rest assured when final whistles are blown, no one will say "Cygan hasn't put a foot wrong"

Arsenal Quotes

If he sent an apology it must have been by horse

Arsène Wenger on apology from Ferguson
Top Bottom