• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

What is the biggest mistake the club made that has put us in our current situation?

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

not selling out to usmanov
Not sure what kind of club we would be but we would have been able to pay the fees/wages for some quality players.

We had a nice few years where the transfer rumours pages were filled with some big names but we just didn’t seem to have the money.

Although it might have been Wenger not wanting to spend. After all, we seem to spend quite freely now but I wouldn’t say our revenues have rocketed.

Plutarch

Like some other posters, I was annoyed that summer when we didn't sign a single outfield player. It was ridiculous. In fact, it was insulting to the fans. How could we possibly improve when our team wasn't good enough and then just stayed the same?

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
Not sure what kind of club we would be but we would have been able to pay the fees/wages for some quality players.

We had a nice few years where the transfer rumours pages were filled with some big names but we just didn’t seem to have the money.

Although it might have been Wenger not wanting to spend. After all, we seem to spend quite freely now but I wouldn’t say our revenues have rocketed.

the biggest change was dirty money coming into the PL ... we would have been part of those enjoying it, rather than those suffering from it.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Player recruitment- we never seem to sign the right players and our talent identification is poor.

Player retention-every year there seems to be a contractual issue with some player and they always have more leverage than us. We always keep the very worst far longer than we should do.

Player appraisal- I don’t think many players feel fulfilled when they stay at Arsenal for too long. Let’s be real, we are not a serial winnners club and while we have changed our wage structure to suit better players; the players know our chances of winning the ‘big trophies’ are unlikely.

Player development- we are really bad at developing players to reach their potential. When was the last time we developed a world class player and I don’t mean buy an already world class player like Özil and Alexis, I mean a genuine top 5 in their position player? I’d argue RVP was the last and we signed him in 2004.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Wenger overstaying and missing out on Klopp
What makes you think we could’ve got Klopp and not lost out to another club for him? I mean AFTER Wenger we have appointed 2 managers and neither are top class or great - Arteta is young obviously.

Kroenke has been here 15 years. Other than balancing books, he’s shown NOTHING.

balthazar

What makes you think we could’ve got Klopp and not lost out to another club for him? I mean AFTER Wenger we have appointed 2 managers and neither are top class or great - Arteta is young obviously.

Kroenke has been here 15 years. Other than balancing books, he’s shown NOTHING.

When Klopp stepped down from Dortmund we finished third in the league and Liverpool finished 6th. Our stock has not fallen as much as it has now. We had Alexis, Özil, Cazorla on our books. Besides, had just won the FA Cup. Wenger should have been a Gentleman and stepped down on a high note and made way for Klopp. I think that if Arsenal would have really wanted Klopp that summer, he would have come. Of course, can't be proved either way. Our biggest mistake was not to go all-in for Klopp.

Top Quality

Building the Emirates.

(I mean, that's probably not actually true, made a lot of sense at the time. But we left a lot of our soul at Highbury when we moved into the corporate glass bowl. Even just the name of it, "Emirates", ugh. Also the financial burdens over the next decade did a lot of damage in a crucial period in English football.)

Last edited:

GDeep™

League is very weak
The move to the Emirates was the right thing to do, and had it not been for a change in the environment of English football, we would’ve won titles, signed top players etc.

Where you must have some sympathy for the club is with the sugar daddy culture, we didn’t see it coming it and there is nothing you can do when your rival clubs are spending obscene amounts - City have come from a bottom of the barrel club to one of the best in Europe. Clubs like Newcastle could now potentially have unlimited type funds.

My gut feeling now is that we are genuinely in decline for various reasons, and being left behind in the English game. I don’t consider ourselves as a big team or club anymore, just in history.

What we needed was probably an owner willing to come in and spend big to maintain our spot amongst the best, but that’s easier said than done.

You now have the top clubs, and below that you have Arsenal, Everton, Leicester etc.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Not sure if someone has mentioned it yet but not sacking Wenger when he became useless.
He was though? As soon as he couldn’t reclaim the CL spot it was bye bye.

Why would they sack him before then when Kroenke is happy with top 4 and CL money?

say yes

forum master baiter
He was though? As soon as he couldn’t reclaim the CL spot it was bye bye.

Why would they sack him before then when Kroenke is happy with top 4 and CL money?
Should have been sacked as soon as he failed to win a title race against Leicester. The decline was beyond dispute at that point.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Not the club directly but Lady Bracewell Smith selling her shares to Kroneke, this gave him the majority of shares. She even regrets it herself!

GDeep™

League is very weak
Should have been sacked as soon as he failed to win a title race against Leicester. The decline was beyond dispute at that point.
Probably, but I genuinely believe Stan is only in this for top 4.

If Arteta gets top 4 it will be considered a great great achievement inside Arsenal. Maintain it and Arteta is the new Wenger.

Arsenal Quotes

I'm obsessed by the idea of making my mark on history. And Arsenal is my paradise.

Thierry Henry
Top Bottom