• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

What is your main priority? (23/24 and beyond)

If you had to choose one, what would be your main priority going forward?

• KSE sell up to a state and we level the playing field - Arab money 💰

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Constantly change manager until we eventually strike GOLD - Hasenhüttl, Potter, De Zerbi…who’s next?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

So, I saw there’s been a lot of debate in numerous threads about our expectations going forward as a club and I thought it would be interesting to see what the general view is going forward.

In years gone by I probably would have opted for option number 1 but my expectations have shifted now and I’d currently be happy if we cemented top 4 and reached the latter stages of the competition. I do respect everyone has a different opinion, so go for it and state why you made your choice…

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
My main priority would be winning the league.

Give me the next 10 seasons like below:

1st
5th
7th
3rd
2nd
6th
8th
1st
4th
7th

Over constantly finishing 2nd.

I don't ever see us dominating the league so I will happily go back to Thursday nights in Dundalk if it means I get to see a title every now and then.

The dream for me is always title or CL. A cup is nice but you want the big one and if it only comes once or twice every 10 years so be it esepcially given how competitive the league is.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

1st
5th
7th
3rd
2nd
6th
8th
1st
4th
7th

I don't ever see us dominating the league so I will happily go back to Thursday nights in Dundalk if it means I get to see a title every now and then.

The dream for me is always title or CL. A cup is nice but you want the big one and if it only comes once or twice every 10 years so be it esepcially given how competitive the league is.

I respect that and I probably would have settled for that a few years ago but after being out of the CL for many years and more competition for top 4 places, I would rather have some stability going forward and cement ourselves as a CL contender. That would be my main priority in the next few years.

With the state of how European football is currently if you’re in the competition year in, year out there’s a very good chance that we could manage to get a favourable draw and end up in the final. If a team like Tottenham reached the final a few years back, Inter Milan this season and a dreadful Chelsea team won it and even this season got to the QF’s then I’m pretty optimistic that we can do it.

My expectations in the next few years is having stability in terms of finishing in the top 4 whilst also being smart in the market by knowing when to cash in on players and reinvesting as this sort of spending we’ve been doing in recent years is not sustainable imo.

Sparrahork

So, I saw there’s been a lot of debate in numerous threads about our expectations going forward as a club and I thought it would be interesting to see what the general view is going forward.

In years gone by I probably would have opted for option number 1 but my expectations have shifted now and I’d currently be happy if we cemented top 4 and reached the latter stages of the competition. I do respect everyone has a different opinion, so go for it and state why you made your choice…
Consolidating top 4 for me. Man city are currently miles ahead of everyone else in the world, they won't be caught napping again like they were this season bedding in changes of system.

Until pep goes it is not realistic of any of the challengers to expect to beat them, we need to ensure we are best of the rest which will be more easily said than done despite sudden over estimation of our talents by others on here. We need to make top 4 twice in a row and even then we cannot take it for granted.

Great to see some hale enders come through, there should remain a path or otherwise following the Chelsea model of throwing money at youngsters to risk writing off their career before it gets started.

My concern is, despite being a former player and relying on his time on Saka, esr, Eddie and Reiss to varying degrees, tets seems less interested than I would hope in blooding new talent. That team selection for the final game was a joke, how are you supposed to tie down first professional contracts if they see debuts not handed out in a dead rubber?!

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
I respect that and I probably would have settled for that a few years ago but after being out of the CL for many years and more competition for top 4 places, I would rather have some stability going forward and cement ourselves as a CL contender. That would be my main priority in the next few years.

With the state of how European football is currently if you’re in the competition year in, year out there’s a very good chance that we could manage to get a favourable draw and end up in the final. If a team like Tottenham reached the final a few years back, Inter Milan this season and a dreadful Chelsea team won it and even this season got to the QF’s then I’m pretty optimistic that we can do it.

My expectations in the next few years is having stability in terms of finishing in the top 4 whilst also being smart in the market by knowing when to cash in on players and reinvesting as this sort of spending we’ve been doing in recent years is not sustainable imo.
Stability doesn't mean much for a club like Arsenal if we don't win.

Stability is important for clubs like Brentford. To establish themselves.

But really what is the point of us finishing 2-4th year after year for the next 10 years if we don't win anything? It's stability for the sake of stability.

That's my view.

Bucephalus

I want a title. But I voted long term process because that's the only way we're likely to get there. We're rich. But not rich enough to just buy any player we want and change managers every 18 months. A long term process--with a defined playing style, focusing on transfers that actually fit that style, and bringing up youth to help subsidize those transfers--should get us there eventually. Consistently get above 80 points and eventually City will have a slightly down year while we have a slightly better one. Going the Abramovich-at-Chelsea route is far more likely to get a club of our resources in trouble.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I thought our goal was for us to become consistent competitors, obviously there's gonna be a lot of competition in the coming years but for the immediate future we have to be doing whatever it takes to win the league at least once in the next few years. I think as a club we'll never just starting hoarding players at their peak or later in the hope of just winning 1 league title and not caring beyond that.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
Consistent CL football with a title challenge every now and then has been what I've always been looking for from us. Unfortunately it's very hard to keep up with a team like City so in the years we can't sustain a challenge, some form of domestic cup would be a welcome substitute.

If we can maintain a position in the CL every year you never know what kind of draw you could benefit from as well. You only have to look at Inter and AC this year for an example.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

We’re never going to be consistent CL contenders.

I’d argue there’s only 6 (maybe 7 if Juve weren’t such a basket case) clubs who have the league dominance/spending power to contend for a CL every season.

PSG, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Man Utd, Man City, Bayern and Juventus.

We’re not in that bracket because our owners aren’t that rich and we’re on a similar level brand wise to a Liverpool, Sp**s etc (success dependant).

Getting Champions League qualification in itself is a mini achievement and our best players will always have one eye on how we perform as a club.

So what you’re left with is what I’ve said many times and it’s to become a “cycle” dependant team.

You find your manager, correctly identify some youngsters in the market or your academy, establish a base camp. Round off squad with top quality players and get a 5 year window to win whatever you can.

Aka the Klopp - Liverpool approach.

If you’re generous you can say we’re where they were in 2017/18. Just missed out on winning a major title in small part due to the limitations of the squad (Holding and Karius).

The next summer they signed Alisson and Fabinho and their team skyrocketed to the next level.

This summer I’d want us to add Osimhen and Kimmich which means right away we’re contenders for both CL and PL.

Once those players fall off as they have done with Liverpool we’d be back to rebuilding again but for a club our size with so many richer clubs in front of us in the league it’s the only real plausible option I see.

Tnegs

Top 4 with a decent run in the CL and proper run at the domestic cups. Show he can balance 3 competitions and make progress towards beating City in the league. Continue developing the squad and improving individual players. Has to deliver (or come really fkin close to) a major title within the next couple of seasons.

GoonerJay24

1st
5th
7th
3rd
2nd
6th
8th
1st
4th
7th

If we don't ever consistently dominate the league, then what's the point of this all?

We're the biggest club in England and one of in the world; should be aiming for the very top and then staying there consistently

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
If we don't ever consistently dominate the league, then what's the point of this all?

We're the biggest club in England and one of in the world; should be aiming for the very top and then staying there consistently
Because in the PL with the teams and money around its going to be hard for us to win the PL 3, 4 or 5 times in a row.

It's just not realistic.

The thing is....that isn't even the question. It isn't a choice or having the odd trophy vrs having trophies every year.

The questions seems more would we rather win 1 title every so often but fluctuate in position or would we rather be conistently a top 3 or 4 club and always in the CL.

I flip the question back to you. What's the point in stability and being a top club but not actually winning the big prizes?

Progress, consistency and development is nothing without trophies.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Stability doesn't mean much for a club like Arsenal if we don't win.

Stability is important for clubs like Brentford. To establish themselves.

But really what is the point of us finishing 2-4th year after year for the next 10 years if we don't win anything? It's stability for the sake of stability.

That's my view.
I am with you 100%! Happy for some up and down for at least once in a while winning a big competition. This is why I supported changing from Wenger fairly quickly. No use finishing 4th and getting beaten in the round of 16 in the CL every year. Rather have a bit more ups and downs, but having a real chance of winning the league once in a while.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
I am with you 100%! Happy for some up and down for at least once in a while winning a big competition. This is why I supported changing from Wenger fairly quickly. No use finishing 4th and getting beaten in the round of 16 in the CL every year. Rather have a bit more ups and downs, but having a real chance of winning the league once in a while.
Its amazing that people would rather have us spend the next 10 years in the top 4 but nothing to show for it over one or two league titles and then some random finishes between say 4th-8th.

I guess some people really do believe that 4th is a trophy.

GoonerJay24

Because in the PL with the teams and money around its going to be hard for us to win the PL 3, 4 or 5 times in a row.

It's just not realistic.

The thing is....that isn't even the question. It isn't a choice or having the odd trophy vrs having trophies every year.

The questions seems more would we rather win 1 title every so often but fluctuate in position or would we rather be conistently a top 3 or 4 club and always in the CL.

I flip the question back to you. What's the point in stability and being a top club but not actually winning the big prizes?

Progress, consistency and development is nothing without trophies.

I understand, the competitiveness and finance makes it tough. But given the size of Arsenal we should be strategizing to dominate consistently.

The stadium was built, we went through all the drama surrounding Wenger in or out, banter years under Emery and Arteta, everything in-between this last decade only to be satIsfied with top 5.

We need to be in the conversation every year at a minimum. This is Arsenal football club; I feel fans forget just how big we are sometimes.

Bucephalus

We’re never going to be consistent CL contenders.

I’d argue there’s only 6 (maybe 7 if Juve weren’t such a basket case) clubs who have the league dominance/spending power to contend for a CL every season.

PSG, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Man Utd, Man City, Bayern and Juventus.

We’re not in that bracket because our owners aren’t that rich and we’re on a similar level brand wise to a Liverpool, Sp**s etc (success dependant).

Getting Champions League qualification in itself is a mini achievement and our best players will always have one eye on how we perform as a club.

So what you’re left with is what I’ve said many times and it’s to become a “cycle” dependant team.

You find your manager, correctly identify some youngsters in the market or your academy, establish a base camp. Round off squad with top quality players and get a 5 year window to win whatever you can.

Aka the Klopp - Liverpool approach.

If you’re generous you can say we’re where they were in 2017/18. Just missed out on winning a major title in small part due to the limitations of the squad (Holding and Karius).

The next summer they signed Alisson and Fabinho and their team skyrocketed to the next level.

This summer I’d want us to add Osimhen and Kimmich which means right away we’re contenders for both CL and PL.

Once those players fall off as they have done with Liverpool we’d be back to rebuilding again but for a club our size with so many richer clubs in front of us in the league it’s the only real plausible option I see.
Like this. Like your transfer suggestions, too, though I haven't seen realistic rumors about either. But it is a choice a club of our size has to make. Strengthen in depth? Or put the entire budget on Osimhen and Kimmich, and have a first XI that can go to war against City, but will need to fade injuries?

Arsenal Quotes

Ian Wright was the incredible striker for whom those around him sometimes found hard to control especially the opponents. He was an extrovert, hyperactive, and had endured an extremely hard life. His playing style was instinctive, and he had that killer instinct, a player like no other.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom