• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

What makes an Arsenal player a club legend?

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
Reading the comments from Mourinho and Wenger at the time, I get the impression that Fabregas had already agreed to the move to Chelsea before Barcelona made it known to us that he was available.

How that can happen if two clubs have deal ? He could only talk to Chelsea when Arsenal rejected him and when some club offered him best solution.Everything before that is quite shady.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
How that can happen if two clubs have deal ? He could only talk to Chelsea when Arsenal rejected him and when some club offered him best solution.Everything before that is quite shady.

A buy back clause doesn't mean he has to go back to Arsenal if he leaves Barca, it just means if Barca accept a bid from someone they must accept an equal bid from us...Fabregas still decides where he goes.

Cesc probably wanted to go to Chelsea, they were a better team in 2014...his time with Arsenal had come and gone.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger

You're talking about a world where everyone does things by the book.

What was stopping Cesc from phoning up Mourinho and having a conversation? Or doing it through agents?

Happens all the time in football, even we do it. In fact, I'd wager most clubs approach a player first about a potential move before contacting his club. Its the entire reason agents exist. Why bother hashing out a transfer fee if the player doesn't even want to come?

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

He even said he wanted to join a dressing room with English players, felt he was left out at Arsenal with all the French speakers. Ultimately he was proven right to leave, had he stayed here he wouldn’t have been involved in all the big games he played at Chelsea.
Exactly, hence why I said Chelsea suited him more. The French contingent at the time was very big and he was overshadowed at the time, it was all about our French superstars.

Locker room banter must have been dead/non existent for him :lol:

Marjorie

Thread Monopolizer

You're talking about Chelsea and mourinho, a man that tapped up Cole a decade earlier...

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Cesc probably wanted to go to Chelsea, they were a better team in 2014...his time with Arsenal had come and gone.
According to him, if Arsenal wanted him we would have been his first choice and he maintains this till this day.

I don't quite believe him though for the reasons you said.
Much like VP saying we didn't offer him a contract I found that very hard to believe.

We will never know now.

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
You're talking about a world where everyone does things by the book.

What was stopping Cesc from phoning up Mourinho and having a conversation? Or doing it through agents?

Happens all the time in football, even we do it. In fact, I'd wager most clubs approach a player first about a potential move before contacting his club. Its the entire reason agents exist. Why bother hashing out a transfer fee if the player doesn't even want to come?

I understand that and it's quite possible that happend,but he went there,because we didn't want him.He didn't have any influence on deal between Arsenal and Barcelona.What happend behind scenes is something different.

Riou

According to him, if Arsenal wanted him we would have been his first choice and he maintains this till this day.

I don't quite believe him though for the reasons you said.
Much like VP saying we didn't offer him a contract I found that very hard to believe.

We will never know now.

That's just Cesc trying to keep Arsenal fans on his side imo, sneaky little ****er is Fab.

1-0 away win with Adebayor getting the winner. Our last league win there?

Yeah, Ade was brilliant that day...midfield was key for me...Gilberto just behind Fabregas and Ljungberg in a 4-3-3 (Hleb and Rosicky wide) lovely mix there.

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
A buy back clause doesn't mean he has to go back to Arsenal if he leaves Barca, it just means if Barca accept a bid from someone they must accept an equal bid from us...Fabregas still decides where he goes.

Because we didn't want to buy him.Wenger already said that we have too many midfielders in his position and Cesc said that he waited answer from Arsenal for 7 days and nothing happend.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Ah god Ljunberg was awful in his last seasons. No legs at all the guy could barely stand and Wenger kept playing him :lol:

It took Hleb a while to win Wenger over.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
I understand that and it's quite possible that happend,but he went there,because we didn't want him.He didn't have any influence on deal between Arsenal and Barcelona.What happend behind scenes is something different.

Yes, he went there because he wanted to. Unless you think Chelsea were the only club in the world that wanted to sign Fabregas.

I dislike the narrative that poor lil Cesc had no choice but to go to the evil East London club because "we said no"

He landed where he wanted to go.

I have to hand it to him though. He managed to go to Chelsea and still be loved by Arsenal fans. Even Giroud with his little engine that could and woe is me, puppy dog eyes demeanour managed to get himself hated with his jabs after the Europa league final.

All of this after he blew off a league game as club captain to go watch the grand prix and kicked up a stink so that we could only get a cut price deal for him.

Last edited:

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
Yes, he went there because he wanted to. Unless you think Chelsea were the only club in the world that wanted to sign Fabregas.

I dislike the narrative that poor lil Cesc had no choice but to go to the evil East London club because "we said no"

He landed where he wanted to go.

I agree it was disappointing to do something like that,but the point is that we had control over situation and he would never finished in Chelsea if we got him.

From proffessional point of view he wanted to go back to EPL and other clubs from Europe didn't make big offers for him,when Barcelona wanted to sell him.

Riou

I agree it was disappointing to do something like that,but the point is that we had control over situation and he would never finished in Chelsea if we got him.

From proffessional point of view he wanted to go back to EPL and other clubs from Europe didn't make big offers for him,when Barcelona wanted to sell him.

I guarantee you if we offered Cesc a contract back in 2014, he would still have signed for Chelsea...he wanted to win the league and Arsenal just aren't that team anymore.

Was a great player for us, but it is what it is.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger

The only party that ultimately controls where a player goes is the player himself.

How do you know other clubs didn't offer him a deal? So much goes on behind the scenes that never make the papers or that we don't hear about.

Did you know that Man Utd wanted to sign Tony Adams? Ferguson sent one of his players to tap up TA on international duty. I can't remember who it was, but Tony turned him down.

He ended up at Chelsea because he wanted to go there. He liked London and wanted to win the league.

Cesc was what? 27/28 at the time? World cup winner and in his prime. Two things happen when a player of his caliber becomes available. His agent puts out feelers to all the top clubs or the top clubs make an enquiry on their own. It only reaches the paper when one of the three parties leaks it (the agent, selling club, the interested club). The papers also straight up make up ****.

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
The only party that ultimately controls where a player goes is the player himself.

How do you know other clubs didn't offer him a deal? So much goes on behind the scenes that never make the papers or that we don't hear about.

He ended up at Chelsea because he wanted to go there. He liked London and wanted to win the league.

Cesc was what? 27/28 at the time? World cup winner and in his prime. Two things happen when a player of his caliber becomes available. His agent puts out feelers to all the top clubs or the top clubs make an enquiry on their own. It only reaches the paper when one of the three parties leaks it (the agent, selling club, the interested club). The papers also straight up make up ****.

How players decide ? They have contract and clubs decide will they sell him or hold him.You know story with Suarez and Liverpool when he wanted to leave in 2013 and they didn't let him.Where is his influnce there ? Of course,he will can show in all cases that he wanted to leave,but he must stay at club until contract expires or when club wants to sell him.

I'm talking what officially happend there and which clubs were interested.I can't remember lot of clubs that were interested in Fabregas when Barcelona wanted to sell him and give him some proper deal.And like you wrote he wanted to come back in EPL.Don't know to go into what happend behind scenes,because no one knows that.

Didn't know about all procedure with agents to be fair.When that happend it looked kinda clear what was situation and than everyone covered the real story.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
He joined us in the “banter years”, think guys like him dropped a level simply by joining us at that time. At Chelsea next to Terry he was class.

You have to admit Arsène wasn't the best coach for CBs, post Campbell/Toure Arsenal became a graveyard for CBs.

Arsène would always commit all the fullbacks and midfielders forward leaving our CBs stranded, it was a tough job being a centre back for Arsenal that's why so many looked like muppets over the years. I'm harsh on Koscielny but I have to give him credit for being able to handle that, no wonder he kept having mental breakdowns and crying.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
The deluded Arseblagger kept going on about Ramsey yesterday. But it was more about how none of our possible midfield incomings would be an upgrade on Ramsey.
Ramsey was a huge liability in our general play. Take away his goals and he will be one of the worst player ever in the PL. Aouar is a lot more clever/skillful who likes to contribute in possession and making plays in the midfield.

We never missed ramsey, we missed Cazorla. And Aouar is exactly the type of player we lack in our team. After we get Aouar, we need 2 or 3 more Aouar type of players.

Last edited:

MikeVinna

Established Member
Ramsey was a huge liability in our general play. Take away his goals and he will be one of the worst player ever in the PL. Aouar is a lot more clever/skillful who likes contributing to possession and making plays in the midfield.

Completely different players. Ramsey was only a truly top class player in that one golden season he had. And I’m not even talking goals, he was overall an amazing player. Couldnt keep that up though..

Arsenal Quotes

When I first came to Arsenal, I realised the back four were all university graduates in the art of defending. As for Tony Adams, I consider him to be a doctor of defence. He is simply outstanding.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom