• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

What really happened in the summer of Cech?

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
I don't want to litigate the 2015-16 season all over again but has anyone close to the club at that time ever come out and given the real story?

Wenger said we didn't need to buy anyone and there was no "value" in the market. The squad was good enough to challenge...

But, we had finished 12 points behind Chelsea the previous season. He had spent the summer before trying to replace Giroud and then we only buy a washed up Cech?

I've never understood it and is probably one of the biggest Arsenal mistakes of the modern era. It isn't like we finished a point off of the champions or lost the title on goal difference. On which earth were we good enough to challenge without any other additions?

Sorry, maybe I just want to get my mind off of this season. I think Wenger's biggest flaw was continuing to trust players who let him down time and time again instead of being ruthless. I hope Mikel can be ruthless even if it means getting rid of fan favourites.

GDeep™

League is very weak
I don't want to litigate the 2015-16 season all over again but has anyone close to the club at that time ever come out and given the real story?

Wenger said we didn't need to buy anyone and there was no "value" in the market. The squad was good enough to challenge...

But, we had finished 12 points behind Chelsea the previous season. He had spent the summer before trying to replace Giroud and then we only buy a washed up Cech?

I've never understood it and is probably one of the biggest Arsenal mistakes of the modern era. It isn't like we finished a point off of the champions or lost the title on goal difference. On which earth were we good enough to challenge without any other additions?

Sorry, maybe I just want to get my mind off of this season. I think Wenger's biggest flaw was continuing to trust players who let him down time and time again instead of being ruthless. I hope Mikel can be ruthless even if it means getting rid of fan favourites.
We obviously had no money. Him and David Dein keep saying it.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Sorry but anyone who says there was no money and the only money Wenger could spend was £10m on a goalkeeper is deluded. And before the extremists start I'm not saying he had £100m to spend. But Arsenal football club not having £30-40m? No chance.

We were the only team in the top 5 leagues to not sign an outfield player.

Doesn't matter what Arsène or Dein say. They had more money but either didn't want to spend it or weren't out on the ground scouting players that fitted their budget.

I'm pretty sure Van Dijk joined Soton that summer for £12m and Payet joined West Ham for £10-12m too that summer. 2 players who would have improved us.

GoonerJay24

We finished 12 points behind Chelsea due to injuries. That squad was good enough and had a balance between attack and defence.

Bringing in a new striker would have elevated that side for sure, Giroud was effective and slightly underrated but never world class. The problem was there was nobody in the market worth the money to risk disrupting the teams tactical cohesion.

I think Arsenal fans over the years never realised how complicated Wengers system was.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Back in summer 2015...

Arsenal fans... "sIgN sOmE pLaYeRs!!!"

Big Wengz...

Was single and getting laid different that summer.

Fair enough I say, Arsène had his priorities in the right order.

GoonerJay24

Sorry but anyone who says there was no money and the only money Wenger could spend was £10m on a goalkeeper is deluded. And before the extremists start I'm not saying he had £100m to spend. But Arsenal football club not having £30-40m? No chance.

We were the only team in the top 5 leagues to not sign an outfield player.

Doesn't matter what Arsène or Dein say. They had more money but either didn't want to spend it or weren't out on the ground scouting players that fitted their budget.

I'm pretty sure Van Dijk joined Soton that summer for £12m and Payet joined West Ham for £10-12m too that summer. 2 players who would have improved us.

I don't think Payet is getting in that side ahead of Özil. Van Dijk would have been great but Wenger chose to believe in Chambers; he couldn't get every transfer right.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
I don't think Payet is getting in that side ahead of Özil. Van Dijk would have been great but Wenger chose to believe in Chambers; he couldn't get every transfer right.
Payet could have easily played instead of Ramsey or provided rotation and another option of the bench.

GoonerJay24

Payet could have easily played instead of Ramsey or provided rotation and another option of the bench.

No Ramsey was better for the balance of that side as he made runs. We already had Rosicky, Chamberlain and Wilshere as rotation.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
No Ramsey was better for the balance of that side as he made runs. We already had Rosicky, Chamberlain and Wilshere as rotation.
So Payet with his 21 G/A for West Ham would have had 0 positive effect on our squad. He wouldnt have been better of the bench than Iwobi? He wouldn't have been a good option of the left with Sanchez up top instead of Welbeck when we needed to freshen things up or injuries?

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Was single and getting laid different that summer.

We got Rodeo and TPAB. Life was good.

Add Future DS2 as that was 2015 👀 and The Life of Pablo in 2016 aswell.

Agree tho, it was a great year too so no complaints from me 😄

GoonerJay24

So Payet with his 21 G/A for West Ham would have had 0 positive effect on our squad. He wouldnt have been better of the bench than Iwobi? He wouldn't have been a good option of the left with Sanchez up top instead of Welbeck when we needed to freshen things up or injuries?

He didn't have 21 G/A prior to that West Ham move, you can only argue that with hindsight. I'm not saying he'd offer nothing but we already had several similar players. Iwobi was like sixth choice; he only got opportunities because there were so much more injuries than anyone would expect.

Entropics

Established Member

Player:Saka

Midseason we were top of the table so Wenger was right about that. Time proved him right with CL, EL and World cup winner Giroud too

The problem maybe was Elneny

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Here's where you're mistaken, Arsène never had any intention of winning the league. Top 4 was always the aim and he thought he had a squad good enough to make it.

MartiSaka

Join my "Occupy A-M" movement here 🗳
Here's where you're mistaken, Arsène never had any intention of winning the league. Top 4 was always the aim and he thought he had a squad good enough to make it.
I used to hate to see the team celebrating CL qualification in the mid 2010s like we had won a trophy. Remember it happening on several occasions on the last day. Always made me think it was driven by the club/manager and all we were really aiming for as a club.

Before people respond Arteta's team would have celebrated the same way last year, it was a young squad that had never qualified or were not expected to qualify, not a squad that had qualified year in and year out.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
I used to hate to see the team celebrating CL qualification in the mid 2010s like we had won a trophy. Remember it happening on several occasions on the last day. Always made me think it was driven by the club/manager and all we were really aiming for as a club.

Before people respond Arteta's team would have celebrated the same way last year, it was a young squad that had never qualified or were not expected to qualify, not a squad that had qualified year in and year out.
We went to Champions League fixtures vs Bayern with Yaya Sanogo up front, this club never had the intention on winning the big trophies it was obvious to all of us.

Arsenal Quotes

Religiously, it is said that God created man. I am only a guide. I allow others to express what they have in them. I have not created anything. I am a facilitator of what is beautiful in man.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom