• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

When do you become a Gooner?

Kroket

Trusty and Sensible
James said:
Think some of you need to take a walk down Seven Sisters when we're playing at s***e Hart Lane. You'd soon learn the ways.

This is actually how it went for me. As a foreign fan I didn't really care much about our rivalry with Sp**s, like many other foreigners on here I was confronted more with so called Man Utd fans and subsequently disliked them more. The first, and to this day only time I went to White Hart Lane to watch the North London Derby the situation changed completely, especially because I was seated between the home fans. From that day onwards derby day became the most important fixture of the season, to such an extent I feel physically sick after games like the Carling Cup semi and the home game last season.

They have the most horrible, moronic fans I've ever witnessed.

James

Established Member
When you come out onto the High Rd under a wave of coins and missiles, then you realise just what utter **** they are.

caldeltatrojan

Biggus said:
I don't think hate is the right word to describe Tottenham, as they really are beneath contempt.
They'd love us to think that they occupy such an important part in our psyche but the fact is we are above them on the same scale that humans are above say rodents.
You don't despise pests- you crush them when they become bothersome and thats what we do twice a season.

Totally agree with these sentiments Biggus. I feel that Sp*rs are beneath us. Plus living in the US, you don't come across that many Sp*rs fans. ManU and Chelsea? They are our rivals for the top and I hate their fans with an absolute passion, especially ManU.

RC8- I would say your friend is definitely a Gooner. I really liked Arsenal starting in 2002 when my love for the US National team sent me looking for a more regular football fix. Not until last season, when I was looking for work, did I have the time to follow the season closely, and now I never miss a game. I think that's when I considered myself a Gooner.

Burnwinter

Established Member
Exactly, they all come across as the same mixture of mealy-mouthed downplaying of every other club's achievements, resentment of our success, and desperate impotent straw-clutching.

bojed

AM Resident Joker #1

Not because of DB10, but because everybody was a Man Utd fan and I thought the Gunners cannon was freaking cool.

I was so young and so naive back then so don't stone me.

CKD39 said:
1) You must hate Tottenham above all others.
2) You must know whenever Arsenal are playing and the results of each match.
3) An Arsenal win should brighten up your weekend.
4) An Arsenal defeat shoudl ruin your week.
5) You must feel actual anger/rage when non-Gooners badmouth Arsenal.

1. Back in '95 when I started supporting Arsenal, I hated them more than I hated man utd. I didn't have a clue why but I guess it was just instinctual. I was living in south east asia to make matters weirder. I hate them scums more than any other teams.

2. I remember our fixtures but I nearly missed my wife's birthday last year. Says it all really.

3. Yes.

4. When we got smacked by man utd and chelsea this season, I refused to make love with my wife for 2 weeks.

5. Yes.

That was easy.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
caldeltatrojan said:
Totally agree with these sentiments Biggus. I feel that Sp*rs are beneath us. Plus living in the US, you don't come across that many Sp*rs fans. ManU and Chelsea? They are our rivals for the top and I hate their fans with an absolute passion, especially ManU.
I can honestly say that where I am in the U.S. I don't know a soul who is fan or supporter of a club team. None. Well I guess there is one old N'Castle codger but I barely know him and don't know how much he's into Toon. But, then again, here is not where I got into football and mixed with other/rival fans. There, there were plenty of ex-pats to 'mingle' with.

Anyway, I feel this is going somewhat off-topic. :lol: I don't really care how much or if people hate spuds - and I can't possibly as much as those on the frontline - but every one should at least know why you should.

brady_style

bojed said:

Not because of DB10, but because everybody was a Man Utd fan and I thought the Gunners cannon was freaking cool.

I was so young and so naive back then so don't stone me.

CKD39 said:

1. Back in '95 when I started supporting Arsenal, I hated them more than I hated man utd. I didn't have a clue why but I guess it was just instinctual. I was living in south east asia to make matters weirder. I hate them scums more than any other teams.

2. I remember our fixtures but I nearly missed my wife's birthday last year. Says it all really.

3. Yes.

4. When we got smacked by man utd and chelsea this season, I refused to make love with my wife for 2 weeks.

5. Yes.

That was easy.

Jesus ! I'd say your Mrs does be praying for an Arsenal win. :)

yuvken

Established Member
"4. When we got smacked by man utd and chelsea this season, I refused to make love with my wife for 2 weeks."

Are you kidding?
That is not being a fan - that is self destruction.. besides - somebody, somehow needs to contain your wrath :)
If you don't feel like making love, maybe just try having sex instead.

Wait a minute, maybe I'm missing something... when you say "I refused..etc", are you implying SHE is a utd/chavs fan? in that case, I withdraw my suggestions.

brady_style

Actually one of the things that first really got me into Arsenal was their Crest as well.

It was 1987.

I was 8.

And I remember staring at the Arsenal Crest in a sticker album and just loving it.

Then '89 happened and by god I was hooked. Although 91 and Anders Limpar is my main memory from that era.

I was too young to fully take in what '89 meant. It seemed kinda natural and normal to my young mind that we would go to Anfield and beat the might 'Pool with practically the last kick of the game.

I was obsessed with Limpar.

Great little player.

Herbert Chapman

ultradoc said:
Simple:Has he registered here yet? :p

CKD39- Non-english gooners don't feel hate for tottenham. Quite logical. Infact I find it funny that people 'hate' them cause I don't even see them as competition in anything. Might come with the terrain for londoners but for theoutsiders, tottenham are just another mid table club.

Agree with the other 4 points and number 5 should be on top and well, my time table from the day before matchday is modified and caters to free time during the match. Everything for a day or 2 revolves around the match.

These feelings are formed on the school playground, I'll never forget the Monday in school after they beat us in the Fa cup in 91, on non Uniforn days the school would be a precession of Arsenal,Sp**s and West Ham shirts and the banter for our age (11)was pretty colourful.

We had the most league titles but they had a fair few FA cups.

Pre Wenger there wasn't much difference between the two clubs so this mid table view of Sp**s is much to to the the strides we've taking in the last 20 years.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
flobaba said:
SA Gunner your story makes us sound like the "rebound" girl..

Ill be honest mate, I was full of hate and wanted to show them all. However the love I got from the Gunners then was enough and soon I was possessed.

AFCG7

Established Member
James said:
When you come out onto the High Rd under a wave of coins and missiles, then you realise just what utter **** they are.

This.
I was shocked the first time i went through this in 1990 , i saw a man cut just above the eye after being hit by something , imagine if that had got him straight in the eye. Even worse , we were just ordinary fans on our way after the game , but they attacked eveyone even women and kids and older gents.
They're ****.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
I think its simple for me. Whenever Arsenal win or lose and it affects your mood, you are a gooner.

When they become an important part of your life, you are a gooner.

When you put Arsenal above everything including your family, your relationship, your work, you are a die die die hard fan ;)

Gooner_Stu

Established Member
Simples, its in my family.

My dad is a lifetime supporter of the club. He married my mum, who was also a gooner with her brother (my uncle) and Grandad who would have supported them as their local club when they lived in Highbury during the 50s/60s (although i think my grandad lived there for many years before as he tells many'a story about watching them at Highbury, be it paying for the chance or otherwise. My Dad, me, my brother and both cousins (both Gooners) were born in Woolwich, not too far from the clubs birthplace. Never supported or thought about supporting another club... or should i say given the chance to. Doesnt seem like i was forced to support them, we just grew into it really, almost naturally.

Gooner_Stu

Established Member
Herbert Chapman said:
These feelings are formed on the school playground, I'll never forget the Monday in school after they beat us in the Fa cup in 91, on non Uniforn days the school would be a precession of Arsenal,Sp**s and West Ham shirts and the banter for our age (11)was pretty colourful.

Junior school in the mid 90's was a pain in the arse. Everyone and their dog was a Man utd fan, and this is from a school in Kent!!! I remember all levels of grief from class mates the day after the 1995 Cupwinners cup final and that bloody goal by Nayim (16years on and im still bitter). 11 year olds can be proper wa****s sometimes.

MDGoonah41

Established Member
I think once you pick one team and support only that team, then you're a hardcore "fan" or supporter. If this friend of yours RC starts to root for Everton too, or some other team, then he's a fan of the sport in general, not a through and through Arsenal fan. I think that's where the distinction lies. I enjoy the sport as a whole, and I can cheer the result of a team if it helps Arsenal, but Arsenal is the only team that emotionally charges me, either in England or Europe, and I can't imagine ever re-arranging plans in the rest of my life for a team other than Arsenal. I've actually missed important events with family/friends to watch Arsenal, and I live thousands of miles away from London, having never been there. Some could tell me I'm not a true Arsenal fan, but my family/friends who I've offended because of my support for Arsenal would probably disagree.

mistaT

Established Member
Well if its story time....

Saturday morning I had the game on while eating breakfast...pretty downtrodden, despite a tasty fry up with HP (god I love that stuff and have to import it from Canada), what with the score all tied up.

Point being, I hear Bendtner score and just shot up and very nearly punched my mother in the face while yipping and hollering.

Zico

Established Member
CKD39 said:

this checklist is about right.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal have got as much chance of being handed the title by Sp*rs as I have of being given the Crown Jewels. They are the last people we want winning the Championship. Now we mean to round off our season by beating Arsenal.

Alan Mullery (Sp*rs captain in 1971)

There is no way we were going to be beaten

Bertie Mee in the same game after beating Spurs and clinching the Double at White Hart Lane

Daily Transfer Updates

Saturday, June 1

Arsenal are pushing to sign Benjamin Šeško, but no final decision has been made yet [Sky Germany]

RB Leipzig want to give Šeško a new contract to remove his release clause, with Arsenal/Chelsea/Manchester United all interested [Sky Germany]

AC Milan have made signing defender Jakub Kiwior their priority this summer [Santi Aouna - FootMercato]

Arsenal enquire about £17m-rated Barcelona defender Mikayil Faye [MailSport]

Latest posts

Top Bottom