• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Who’s our least annoying CB?

Who is our least annoying CB?

• Koscielny

• Mertesacker

• Holding

• Monreal

• Mustafi

• Chambers

• Elneny

• Giroud

• Debuchy

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Mustafi at this moment maybe, still think Koscielny is our most capable and has always had a thankless task but is now no longer capable of performing miracles at the back.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
Completely lacking in top centre backs. All of them are completely average or below.

Forget the top 6, would any of our CBs even start for Burnley right now? They're easy on the eye and technically good, but how do they defend. How are they aerially, in the tackle, playing offside, making decisions. As I alluded to in the match thread, there's almost as much emphasis on how these guys transition and pass the ball forward as there is on defending, they often seem more comfortable doing the former.

But give Wenger his pick of any 2 CB's and we'll still concede calamitous goals. The first one today - it was like a trick play you'd have your u10 Sunday league team try, and it fooled us! :lol: "Just run right in front of the keeper on this narrow free kick, they might not realise you're onside sonny".

IslingtonBornandbred

1. Koscielny
  2. Mertesacker
  3. Holding
  4. Monreal
  5. Mustafi
  6. Chambers
  7. Elneny
  8. Debuchy
LOOK AT OUR CB OPTIONS.

We could play them all and we'd still concede 3 a game.

We have one first team centre back at the club who can be considered at the start of the season a regular and that's Mustafi a player who nearly crazily went on loan to Inter.

Kos would also be there but he has a long standing achilles issue which can flare up at any moment so he would be 50/50 when planning the squad.

Per wanted to retire which means he himself knew his time was up.

Chambers/Holding are young players. Probably one or the other should be on loan and one can be around to "learn"/play in the cups.

Monreal is a left back. Debuchy a right back.

We also have a central midfield of Xhaka, Ramsey, Wilshere, Coquelin and Elneny. And our wingers are Theo, Iwobi, Welbeck.

Our best two players, Özil and Alexis are more than likely on the way out.

Conclusion: The squad is fu.cked.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
I would say it's between Monreal & Mustafi for our best CB so far this season.

Monreal was probably our best player from August to the beginning of November but has dropped off form since then.

Mustafi first four league games back he was excellent and this saw us keep clean sheets in 4 consecutive matches. Since then he had a poor performance against Liverpool, good performance against Palace (which he scored in)& WBA to a not so good performance against Chelsea.

Considering Kos rapid decline this season means it's no longer him.

Going on Per's recent performances he should of retired after his amazing FA Cup Final performance.

Chambers when he first joined was brilliant and deservedly got player of the month for us in his first month at Arsenal. However since his first couple of months he has failed to display that consistent quality ever since. Having real nightmare performances such as the match against Swansea where Montero gave him a torrid time to the more recent shocker against Chelsea.

Holding - was very good last season and looked to have cemented his spot in the first 11. This season Holding seems a shadow of the player he was last season. Where has his composure gone?

I am certainly not writing off either of Holding or Chambers chances of potentially being very good defenders and displaying once again the form they have shown in the past. However, their form so far this season hasn't been anywhere near good enough.

Last edited:

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Olivier Giroud. Best CB at the club.

cloista

Considering the legacy of great centre backs of the past (O'Leary, Adams, Bould, Keown, Campbell) i really makes you realise that Wenger has never been the one responsible for our defending, so even indiviually good ones these days, like most of those listed are, look more like Titfuck Bramble than our previous greats.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
If we shipped out all our CB and replaced I wouldn’t lament the loss of any of them.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
We have one first team centre back at the club who can be considered at the start of the season a regular and that's Mustafi a player who nearly crazily went on loan to Inter.

Kos would also be there but he has a long standing achilles issue which can flare up at any moment so he would be 50/50 when planning the squad.

Per wanted to retire which means he himself knew his time was up.

Chambers/Holding are young players. Probably one or the other should be on loan and one can be around to "learn"/play in the cups.

Monreal is a left back. Debuchy a right back.

We also have a central midfield of Xhaka, Ramsey, Wilshere, Coquelin and Elneny. And our wingers are Theo, Iwobi, Welbeck.

Our best two players, Özil and Alexis are more than likely on the way out.

Conclusion: The squad is fu.cked.

we don't even have a squad

Santi should not count
Debacuhy just stuck around due to nobody actually wanted him
why we didn't cut our losses and pay him of is weird, clearly wasn't trusted last season

Jeff Reine who?

Per as you said should have been allowed to retire, what a glorious send of he had, now the view of him will be tainted, a great frekkin shame with him getting his coaching badges to, the squad will probably not see him with the same rosetinted eyes they would have if he had been allowed to retire a hero.

Jack I love him to bits, is a ticking injury bomb, has any senior team starter ever left a team on loan and come back to reclaim their spot?

Cech was deemed to old and declining for a direct competitor and he hasn't gotten any younger for us

I have 9-10 senior players for our squad, 10-11 if we count cech/jack

Xhaka
Ramsey
Kos
Mustafi
Sanchez
Özil
Laca
Kola

Giroud (but not a starter for me)
Bellerin but even if I love him as a player he still got some of the youth/talent to him, if he was 25+ I would critique him more
Jack/Cech

Monreal would get no games in a top5 club anywhere in Spain, Italy, Germany nor France

neither would
Coq
Debacuchy
El neny
Welbeck
Theo
Per

maybe Ospina but probably not as a starter either
they are all placeholders as far as I am concerned

our youngsters in the squad
Iwobi
Niles
Holding
Chambers
I like all of them, I do, they would fare way better in ca better team, that is actually defensivly sound. our mistakes are not due to the players it is down to poor tactics
Martinez could probably go into that list aswell

But just squadwise even without selling some deadwood we don't have a full squad

For me we NEED
3 starting players
Gk
Striker/winger
CM
all top class, international starters ca25y olds

ideally we would get 4 squadplayers
good-great solid pros so we could actually rotate/compete some
1: CB for sure due to Kos not being made of stone (2 if we stick with this ridicolous 3 at the back)
2: fullback
3: CM preferably a DM
4: AM

if the dross leaves
we could get 3 top maybe 18-19 year olds in to

in comparrison
I started to count the other teams squads for "starters" or atleast solid good-great seasoned pros who all play for their national team but it was so depressing I just quit

Jojoba

I voted Giroud.. he defends better and is less annoying for us when helping defensively. :)

nick gould

1. Koscielny
  2. Mertesacker
  3. Holding
  4. Monreal
  5. Mustafi
  6. Chambers
  7. Elneny
  8. Debuchy
LOOK AT OUR CB OPTIONS.

We could play them all and we'd still concede 3 a game.
Add our goal keepers to that list plus the awol fullbacks and you have a perfect recipe for a Sunday league standard defending. Add our clueless coaches as well.

Arsenal Quotes

When you start supporting a football club, you don’t support it because of the trophies, or a player, or history, you support it because you found yourself somewhere there; found a place where you belong.

Dennis Bergkamp
Top Bottom