• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Why don't we counter attack any more?

cloista

DOUBLE-YOU said:
We stopped counter attacking when we lost Bergkamp, Ljungberg and Pires. It sounds a dramatic statement but it is true. We never truly found a forward who could do what DB10 did and so we used Cesc as our main creator. The problem with this, is that it meant the wide midfielders had to work harder defensively, because we didn't have 2 ball winners in the centre of the park.

Very true, that link play Bergkamp provided, along with that left sided dynamic (Cole/Vieira/Pires/Henry) is what made that team so irresistable on the counter.

Thing is, I think we could replicate it, though in a slightly different manner, with this team.

We have Gibbs who does what Cashley used to (though he needs to improve, he is that kind of fullback), Santi could play in the Pires role, Giroud could be the link man (though in a more traditional target man style than Bergkamp, he has already proven he has an eye for a pass) and then it's a case of the pacey forward willing to pull wide (ala Henry), which, to me, would be perfect for Theo. Poldi's style replicates Freddie's (would be interesting to see how he'd work coming in from the right, if not, he could potentially play the Henry role).

The question then is the Vieira role. Diaby could do it, I believe Wilshere could too, as he has the tenacity and drive to get stuck in and then the attacking quality to bring the ball forward. The other option ofcourse is Jack being a naturally attacking player, he could potentially fit the Bergkamp role (it's what I thought we'd do with him initially to be honest).

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Again why do we need specific player to execute a basic tactic.. Think for a minute, counter attacks is a basic tactic. All we need is drills.

goonerwarsh

Established Member
It's not until you watch some of this back that realise just how far the quality of the football has fallen. Not just the football but the sheer quality of the playing personnel. That was a team packed full of absolute top drawer talent. There is not one single player in our squad that would get anywhere near this team and I include Jack and Cazorla. A case could be made for Sagna but i'd probably still opt for Lauren.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrZXYEen64Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrZXYEen64Q</a>

dreamLord

Established Member
DOUBLE-YOU said:
We stopped counter attacking when we lost Bergkamp, Ljungberg and Pires.

Unfair. I think we were very good in 07-08, and the quality of our chances was always very high.

It's been downhill ever since then though. Our chances require more and more quality to finish with every passing season. No easy tap ins and one on ones now.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
We don't have players with the requisite pace and skill (and confidence currently) to execute the fast break. No pace nor power in our midfield and Giroud nor Podolski don't have the pace and Gervinho would have problems executing a simple parking manouvre let alone a fast break. Theo's about the only one who can and he needs someone else to help him. Confidence is at an all time low right now and that certainly doesn't help.

Cruisio

Established Member
I think we're a victim of our own past success

Let me explain - back then, teams would come and have a go at us and we would get chances to counter against anybody, to devastating effect. Then slowly, teams started to respect us more and sit back, letting us have the ball because they knew it was an easier way to defend against us

So, what we then did was we changed our football from a counter attacking one to more of a tika-taka style, allowing us to be more patient and have the ball in the final 3rd for a lot longer. That approach - has never worked for us. It's a style we adopted to take on the best in Europe and domestically as well, and it's flopped on both accounts

Now, whats happened is our playing staff have got worse, but the football style has remained the same (just a far worse version of it). Teams have now yet again realised they can come out and attack us and this time we have no answer to it what so ever. A very effective way to get points off of teams is to scare the hell out of them. If teams feel if they attack us we're very likely to counter them and score, they suddenly won't attack us as much anymore. It's this lack of plan B or the lack of desire to change things which puzzles me immensely. It feels like Wenger has decided theres only ever one way to win the Champions League and has just stuck with it despite the fact the system has got continually worse

If we were drilled to counter attack properly and actually bought the players that would fit the style to do it, it would at least give us an extra dimension in attack rather than the singular approach we have now (which we're not even very good at)

Uncle Mike

Established Member
jerome2158 said:
good thing the league measures finishing positions to the decimal.

Arsenal in 2nd season without him- 10th, 15pts back showing no signs of improvement.
Barca in 2nd season with him-1st, 6pts clear at the top showing no signs of slowing down.

Barca also just narrowly lost in the semifinals of the CL. We'd been out for 2 rounds by then.

If we made it to the semis and won the FA cup, we'd deem it a great year. But since it's cesc and barca, you call it ****.

I reiterate...get over it.
First of all, Arsenal have NOT finished 10th in the 2nd season without Fabregas. We have not finished the season. You could have made the same assessment last December, and looked like a monumental fool in May. We will be up there again. We ALWAYS are.

Barca won their "FA Cup," but they don't view it as a major trophy. Whether they should is another debate, but they don't.

I will not get over it. NCIS Rule Number 42: Never accept an apology from someone who sucker-punched you. Fabregas' name should be mud in Goonerland for all time. He is the Kim Philby of Arsenal.

Lady_Gooner

Posting While Meditating
Trusted ⭐

Bit of a bump but I think we've improved our counter attacking lately
Although we aren't very good at defending one

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
Rain Dance said:
yuvken said:
we should buy some really good players :) .

We could buy Cristiano Ronaldo and still produce meek performances though

the question is, how good of a poker player ronaldo is..

or does yuvken mean player, in a sense that teenagers like to use it. playa is it? you know, what's up playa!

evoh_1

Established Member
Reasons why:

our mid isn't set up for it we have no ability to drop deep and take pressure through good positioning and winning back the ball like in hte old days at highbury. now we have arteta ramsey wilshere cazorla its all about keep ing the ball when we have it not using it dynamicly when we get it.

Also giroud is many things but he hasn't got any pace to counter attack with so it would be out of the question to play that sort of game with him.

jinjin5000

Uncle Mike said:
jerome2158 said:
cesc was clearly a mistake, as made evident by our spectacular rise to glory since his departure.....get over it.
17th to 3rd. That IS a spectacular rise.

Here's where we finished with Cesc as a starter: 2nd, 4th, 4th, 3rd, 4th, 3rd, 4th. Average: 24/7 = 3.41, or between 3rd and 4th. First season without him: 3rd. Previous 8 seasons without him starting: 3rd, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 1st. Average: 14/8 = 1.875, or just under 2nd.

Before Cesc: 2nd
With Cesc: 3rd & a half.
After Cesc: 3rd

Barca in 3 seasons before him: 3 La Ligas & 2 Champions Leagues. Barca in 1st season with him: Copa del Rey and that's it.

He's a jinx.

I know this post was 2 months ago but I felt reading this made my IQ drop few points

Arsenal Quotes

When I first came to Arsenal, I realised the back four were all university graduates in the art of defending. As for Tony Adams, I consider him to be a doctor of defence. He is simply outstanding.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom