• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Why Ian Wright Should Shut his Mouth

tam1886

Established Member
I'd just like to say, before I even read this, I'll probably agree with what you have to say.

And having read it now, I was right, and so were you with what you said. Ian Wright really bothers me, as I loved him as a player. He was the second player I ever got on the back of my shirt, and it was his name I would shout as I scored a goal. He was my favourite player growing up but now he frustrates me so much because I not only disagree with the majority of what he says, but his manner and and how he carries himself. I feel very torn at times, because as much as I loved watching him as a player, it's rapidly getting to the point where I can't stand to see him talk about football now. He always reminds me of that saying people tell you when they say you should never meet your idol, as you'll always be disappointed. He may very well be a perfectly nice man, and he seemed so when he did all those BBC programmes, but I just feel if I was to ever meet him now I'd probably be left feeling a little disappointed.

ricky1985

Established Member
RocktheCasbah said:
Ha, that got your attention, didn't it?

Wrighty is an Arsenal legend, a hero to many of us, I would say particularly to those of us growing up watching a team on the downslide following 2 league titles in three years. Yes, I am talking about me here.

He was, up until 2002, the only Arsenal player I had ever met and I worshipped the ground he walked on, albeit not to his face. But, in the past, I have wondered where Wrighty's motives lie, especially when he writes for a certain tabloid. Which is odd, because when faced with Adrian Durham's senile dribblings on the radio, he always comes across as pro Arsenal.

Wrighty's latest "article" begins with a gratuitous reference to another hero of mine, David Rocastle. I'm not disputing the fact that they were great mates, I know they were, but I think Rocky might have had more of a problem with Wrighty's article than with what is happening in N5 right now.

Wrighty says that he was desparate to finish his career at Arsenal, like the great Dennis Bergkamp did. He forgets to mention the fact that, and I have to be fair here perhaps he saw the writing on the wall, he was agitating for a move to Benfica as Arsenal chased the Double in 1998. He then asks who is the star name who will attract other star names, before answering his own question with two words, "Cesc Fabregas". But then qualifies that by mentioning how young Cesc is. For the record, Cesc is now two years olders than Patrick Vieira when Vieira arrived at Arsenal and with 4 years Premiership experience behind him. Ian, in his old age, also seems to have forgotten that the excellent Bac Sagna and Eduardo, like so many Wenger signings before them, were not exactly "star" names on their arrival.

For someone who has no managerial experience whatsoever, questioning one of the most influential managers in football history and his way of doing things, which is exactly what Ian is doing, smacks of utter ignorance. Well, it's either that or a thinly veiled attempt at cheerleading for the return of Wrighty's mate, David Dein.

Fair enough, the departures of Flamini and Hleb have seen the knives out for Arsenal this summer. But let's not get carried away, let's not forget Flamini could just as easily be playing in the Championship as the San Siro this summer. And as for Hleb, well, if only he shot a bit more than he opened his mouth. I think Diaby can replace Flamini, whether he will is open to question. And I think Samir Nasri, can be have a much more positive influence on the Arsenal side than the Etch-a-sketch football of Alex Hleb. Did Arsène really sound that bothered to lose either player?

Maybe a lot of what Wright has said could be deemed fair enough, but this hilarious line is so out there, even the X-Files Agent Mulder would laugh at him,
"If any Arsenal fan told me they expected the club to finish in the top four this season, I reckon they would be optimistic rather than realistic."

So, in Wrighty's opinion, we're gonna go from 4 points (and in effect 2 second half set pieces from Manchester United) off the title to not even qualifying for the Champions League. Why?

"United have shown resilience by fighting tooth and nail to keep Cristiano Ronaldo. And though Dimitar Berbatov may not arrive, United signalled their intent with their audacious bid for the Tottenham star. Liverpool are refusing to stand still and have flexed their muscles in the transfer market with Sp**s striker Robbie Keane. Chelsea have landed Deco and Jose Bosingwa and are on a high-profile tour of the Far East and Russia. "

So, United have, it seems, managed to hold onto Ronaldo and have had a failed bid for Berbatov. Chelsea have signed a playmaker who has to fit in somewhere with Lampard, Ballack, Essien and co and Liverpool have signed Robbie Keane. Well, that's it, isn't it? We might as well give up and go home now, if Liverpool have signed Robbie Keane (for £20m? Levy is nearly as good as we are). And what Chelsea's tour of the far east has to do with anything, God only knows. I don't see where a serious and sustained challenge to our top 4 status can come from. Especially when the club who everyone thought most likely last summer are losing strikers like they lost points at the beginning of last season.

Ian Wright, opening his mouth without apparently engaging his brain, now there's a first. What Wrighty seems to be forgetting is that Ramos and Scolari are still unknown quantities in the Premier League, Rafa Benitez has never been proven to be much more than a spanish George Graham- without the league titles. Only Alex Ferguson can really be considered the equal, or better, of our own Arsène. And we've still got him, so Flamini, Hleb and, yes Ian Wright, can talk all they want. The only talking that matters is that which begins on August 16th.

And I, personally, can't wait.

Well I have just read it, and I have to say RTC a point well made mate.

Alfonso

Established Member
Good article. Very much agree that Wrighty, despite being the man responsible for making me support Arsenal, should shut his mouth. Was really poor form and a crass thing to do when mentioning Rocastle the way he did in that sentence.

Wright is to media work what Hleb is to goalscoring.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Yeh..speaking on behalf of the dead is a new low for Wrighty.

Hearing and reading Wright's comments regarding arsenal always reminds me that its what actually happens on the pitch that is the most important. Not board level, the market or anything else.

It puts me in a funny place. On the pitch he was a legend and an athlete I worshipped when I was younger. Now that he is in the media more often, he comes across as a complete tit.

However, Its not really an Arsenal summer with out a rallying cry from Wrighty eh?

Arsenal Quotes

A player's true character is in how he plays and not in his social life. You can hide your real personality in your social life, You cannot on the field.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom