• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Why is Denilson still in the first team?

Captain

Established Member
Just to point out that Denilson has played more games then anybody this season and as we saw last year, even the best players lose something around this time after such a long year.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Captain said:
Just to point out that Denilson has played more games then anybody this season and as we saw last year, even the best players lose something around this time after such a long year.

I think Hleb, Flamini and Adebayor lost their abilities not because of the length of the season, but because they were planning their life away from us already.

Captain

Established Member
If they were the only three who lost form then perhaps, yes. For me though, it was more of a collective collapse.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
qs said:
ricky1985 said:
He is a bad player though. He's not 's**t', but he's not a good player either. He is costing us points/progression every single time he lines up in the centre of our midfield.

See this is exaggeration.
Give it up. Our exaggeration was more of due to the fact he is so **** we needed that to show it.

I can't believe you are still defending him. Watch the game again. I watched it once more and was utterly disgusted by his performance

Tris

Clrnc said:
qs said:
ricky1985 said:
He is a bad player though. He's not 's**t', but he's not a good player either. He is costing us points/progression every single time he lines up in the centre of our midfield.

Give it up. Our exaggeration was more of due to the fact he is so s**t we needed that to show it.

I can't believe you are still defending him. Watch the game again. I watched it once more and was utterly disgusted by his performance

I'm more disgusted by some of the posts here on AM, the guy is faaaaar from ****, it's as Hollandgooner said, he's been given too much responsibility too early, he's 20/21 for crying out loud, how many CM's have established themselves as top 4 quality at that age? Cesc?... that's all i can think of. What do you expect him to do? go to Wenger and say 'hey gaffer, don't play me i'm not ready'? of course not, and even if he did all you Denilson haters would probably criticse him for being mentally weak and a coward.

Denilson is a talented, young player, who has been exposed to the first team football waaay too soon, If Song,Diaby or Ramsey had been given the same playing time im sure they would be the ones on the end of all this 'sell the ****' type critisim. It's easy to pick out players and use them as scapegoats when things aren't going too well, yesterday, Eboue, Fabianski, Cesc, RVP, Ade and Diaby all had shockers aswell, let's sell them aswell.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Captain said:

What exactly has he lost? He's been putting in the same mediocre performances all season. This is not a dip in form. It's less to do with his ability than the role he's been asked to play when Fabregas is fit. He's just not ready to do that.

progman07

Established Member
Clrnc said:
qs said:
ricky1985 said:

Give it up. Our exaggeration was more of due to the fact he is so s**t we needed that to show it.

QS just wants to be the smart guy, who is as objective as possible, while it's useless because in the end everyone, moderately or exaggerating, wants to see less of Denilson and more of Song and/or a world class DM signing. It's like arguing whether Sp**s are bad, or terrible. In the end, both of you think the same, but one of you says it calmly and the other passionately.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

qs said:
General said:
That was an obvious exaggeration. I don't think you can say Denilson has been s**t all season because he's had his positives. When the onus isn't one him as the main defensive player in midfield, he clearly excels.My gripe with him is the role he's being asked to play i.e. the main defensive shield in midfield and the ridiculous argument his advocates make that he's capable of forming a solid defensive barrier in midfield. The boy has no presence whatsoever and looks like a fish up a tree trying to defend our back four. Wenger's obsession to accommodate him in midfield at all cost is becoming a bad joke.

I've been a big defender of Denilson but even I don't think he's a strong defensive barrier.

As for accommodating him I think its more a case of Wenger painting himself into a corner by not replacing Flamini and Bert last summer. Song has been good recently but theres clearly a reason Wenger is afraid to play him too often and in games that require more stamina. Thats why Wengers chose Denilson as the square peg for his round hole.

Denilson is a good player with alot of potential. When the team around him is ticking he does a good job but when you're in an FA cup semi against a side like Chelsea its going to show your weaknesses. Even our great teams lost big semis. Yesterday alot of players were shown up but most of all Wenger was shown up for putting out a team who froze and then capitulated a lead against a pretty mediocre Chelsea side.

Denilson is far from s**t. He deserves more credit than he gets but he is not good enough for the Arsenal first 11.

Song's stamina looked ok when he was charging through Wigan'sdefence in the 93rd minute last weekend to score our 4th goal. Honestly, his stamina's not an issue. I think Denilson played because Wenger has his FA Cup team and promised certain players they'd be in right the way through. Arsène's a man of his word.

Diaby was supposed to be the one providing physical presence but for some bizarre reason, he was allowed almost a free role to roam wherever he wanted, while Denilson was left to hold the fort in front of the back four. Swear down, I saw him outmuscled by Malouda, yes, Malouda. When the guy protecting your back four gets outmuscled by Florent Malouda, you know you're in trouble.

We looked ok when it was just Ballack on Denilson, but when Hiddink moved Essien forward from deep and asked Lampard to press further forward midway through the first half, we were hoplessly overrun.

outlaw_member

Established Member
Denilson has been a pain in the arse, all season long. The only reason I don't criticise him that often, is because the decision is down to Wenger.

Captain

Established Member
Big Poppa said:
Captain said:

What exactly has he lost? He's been putting in the same mediocre performances all season. This is not a dip in form. It's less to do with his ability than the role he's been asked to play when Fabregas is fit. He's just not ready to do that.

I disagree.

He has had some good games, some average games and some **** games. He is shot, his energy levels have gone down and his ability to influence the game has dropped.

That's all really. You can only acknowledge that his form has dropped if you beleive that he has had a decent season, you don't so there isn't much to discuss.

asajoseph

Established Member
I think he did improve a bit in the last few months, but has dropped off again in the last couple of games.

Don't think he's ever been particularly influential though.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Asa - he improved to an extent when he wasn't put in the same midfield with Cesc, and not expected to carry the responsibility of winning all the 50-50s in the centre. Presuming Cesc is nailed on to play (which is a fairly safe asumption) the moment he returned, Denilson should have been made to give way. He suffers the same weaknesses off the ball as Fabregas yet does not surpass any of his strengths on it. Its a futile and dangerous exercise to play such an unbalanced engine room.

AliBabaBrewer

He's an extremely average player and would be better suited at a Portsmouth or West Ham.

It speaks volumes when he still manages to be our most regular player this season. We've had to watch Denilson play 45 times this season, and I can count on one hand the number of games when I/people have said 'Wow, he was great today', which says it all really.

P.S. Gutsy move shoving the ref. I thought he was off then.

General

Established Member
Big Poppa said:
Diaby was supposed to be the one providing physical presence but for some bizarre reason, he was allowed almost a free role to roam wherever he wanted, while Denilson was left to hold the fort in front of the back four. Swear down, I saw him outmuscled by Malouda, yes, Malouda. When the guy protecting your back four gets outmuscled by Florent Malouda, you know you're in trouble.

We looked ok when it was just Ballack on Denilson, but when Hiddink moved Essien forward from deep and asked Lampard to press further forward midway through the first half, we were hoplessly overrun.

Good point and it is something I didn't particularly understand yesterday. Wenger acknowledged that he brought in Diaby to provide some presence yet parked the weaker Denilson in the middle of the park allowing Diaby to go on his dribbling escapades. I'm sure some will be quick to tell us that defensively Denilson has more presence than Diaby. :roll: It is clear that (second half against Newcastle for example) when Diaby isn't given an attacking remit he can hold the fort better than Denilson. Against a physically combative midfield like Chelsea's where size mattered, he would've been the better choice to sit centrally. Everything Wenger did yesterday gave just the impression that he didn't give a toss about the cup. If you are going to play a ridiculous lineup and formation at least play to the strengths of your players.

Raider

Established Member
Lord Dula said:
that and you'd get chronic rsi in your pinkies

haha, RSI is something I have to deal with on a daily basis. I work for an accident managment company, and people put claims through daily.

Lord Dula

Established Member
AliBabaBrewer said:
He's an extremely average player and would be better suited at a Portsmouth or West Ham.

It speaks volumes when he still manages to be our most regular player this season. We've had to watch Denilson play 45 times this season, and I can count on one hand the number of games when I/people have said 'Wow, he was great today', which says it all really.

P.S. Gutsy move shoving the ref. I thought he was off then.

You make it sound like a brave act of heroism

thegame24

Established Member
Part of me now wishes he got sent off, i mean we lost anyway at least this way we could blame him even more and wenger could drop him.

Arsenal Quotes

Young players need freedom of expression to develop as creative players... they should be encouraged to try skills without fear of failure.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom