• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Why is Gilberto so under-rated

arsenalule

Hmmm...a bit OT, but why when MUTD sign Carrick for 18m pounds, and reports circulating them and real madrid of the availability of M. Diarra for about 15-19m pounds is no there no push from us for him? I think 20m pounds is about the correct valuation of Diarra. I'd be gutted if we didn't put any bids for him- he oozes class and will so for the next 7-8 yrs.

Lyon were also interested in Gilberto also, by the way.

kazu

i have nothing against gilberto, he being a nice guy and all... he works hard and goes about it without a complain, always gives a thumbs-up after his haywire shot to the guy who passed to him :wink:

but seriously, i hate to see a team-mate pass to him... i like him with the ball when it's won from an opponent but i always hope he won't hold on the ball for too long as well!

to be fair, i think the DM position is not an easy one.. if i can dribble and pass like zidane, no way am i playing DM no matter how well i can tackle! ;)

kinda reminds me of how people started playing football:
"oh you can't play? just stand in between the posts!"

sabret00the

Established Member
Chips&CurrySauce said:
Gilberto I think we will all agree does well in Europa. Perfect example was againt Zagreb the other night. In Europa teams just sit back and give us alot of space at the back, therefore in such matches Gilberto has time on the ball to recieve and look up and play a simple pass..

Away from home in the premiership, as we saw countless times last season, teams press us high up the pitch. Gilberto in such games is given little space, and it is in such games he struggles, becasue as I said he isn't cute enough on the ball to receive the ball under pressure and make space for himself. Patrick was superb at this and even Cesc, who on the ball is a genius can receive the ball with a couple of players around him and still create time and space for himself. There were so many away games he was dire last year, Man City, Tottenham, Bolton, the Carling cup game (albeit he scored in the last minute)..

He is a decent player that does his job, but people talk in here as if he was the best holding player in the world, that somehow the whole world is ignorant to, other than a few gooners who are so up there own arses.. There are far better midfielders out there that would improve our all round game.. The problem is tho, as Scorpion said many times, Wenger won't spend big money on a holding player, because that is not Wengers style! For me Petit was the perfect example of a player who was superb on the ball, great range of passing, vision, skill and yet tough, committed and disciplined.. Gilberto doesn't come close!
Quality post.

dafish

For those that think gilberto is rubbish try to recall when he was not in the starting line-up.

when viera was with cesc it was a horrible. Both players were held back by each other, because neither could venture forward freely like they could with gilberto. In the end of that run, viera was reduced to covering for cesc allowing the kid to get forward while looking even more uncomfortable than gilberto.

gilberto isn't as fast as makelele that is true, but he makes up with positional sense and sly tackling. if he can't take the ball off you, he'll nudge you off the ball with his shoulders. he's done that time and again over several seasons, without collecting very many cards at all.

furthermore if you deem a player who is among the top 5 in passing completion % (85% was it? i think cesc was 1% lower). who else would u like to come in that can tackle as well and give a even higher passing % than him?

name a affordable player that is as good as gilberto defensively but can offer better passing.

while makelele can fit into our team, that says nothing about what gilberto can do. i really doubt if any of you have played in a full sized 11v11 game of football in your life if you say gilberto is useless. Fact is that he's good enough to be vice captain of arsenal. That shows how the team looks up to him and rely on him. thats all the TH14, the FF4, the FL8, the AH13's all rely on him to sweep up the mess they leave when they attack.

i'm sure the xabi alonso, the makelele's will be mentioned, but gilberto is doing the job for us as good, if not better than what those players can do, so he should be viewed as equal if not better.

those that complain that gilberto does only the simple passes, would u really like him to start gambling with the ball? unless you're someone special like pirlo, you don't want a DM gambling with teh ball. if you say that a midfielder needs to offer more, then you're not talking about a DM, your talking about a CM, and thats what cesc is for. offer a bit of everything.

wenger gave him a job. he's doing his job. the day he starts dribbling up the field and attacking is the day i demand we sell him beacuse THEN he won't be doing his job.

Mbaki Mutahaba

Established Member
dafish said:
wenger gave him a job. he's doing his job. the day he starts dribbling up the field and attacking is the day i demand we sell him beacuse THEN he won't be doing his job.

Good Post!! Unfortunately the haters give him a different job. A job that he is unaware of but is expected to perform just as effectively. I alwys say if you have a problem with the current job of Gilberto in the field, take it on Wenger.

Dougan17

he does his job with a minimum of fuss, actually is a better passer than most on the team when it comes to consistency. The balls he sends gets where they're going more often than not. He's never going to be a xavi or an alonso or a fabregas and make a 50 yard perfect through ball to Henry, but he's a good enough player technically and a quality player defensively to get the job done and allow Fabregas to do his thing going forward.

The most important thing for our central midfield success has nothing to do with our central midfielders, imo. Because if you watch the games where lauren, eboue, cole, and clichy were all absent, those were the games where the midfield was incredibly jammed up and it looked like we just couldn't break through.

Even if you have the best battling midfielders in the world, you need your fullbacks and wingers to play heels to touch and work the wings and spread other teams out, but when you had flamini and djourou as your fullbacks, neither is going to give you much going forward and all our wingers prefer to pinch in and work the channels than play exclusively on the wing. The responsibility for spreading the play and keeping our width has fallen almost exclusively on our fullbacks in the last 6 or 7 years and it will continue to do so, imo, while Wenger still employs his 4-4-2.

Gurgen

Established Member
Exiled In Newcastle said:
Gurgen said:
Ah but Henry doesn't have to head the ball to score goals. Heading isn't a required skill for a striker.

You better tell that to all the people that expect to see the odd headed goal! I'm sorry but that is madness. How can heading not be part of a strikers armoury?

Henry has been the best striker in the world for 4 years now, and he can't head the ball. Especially in a team like ours, you don't need heading to score lots of goals.

Passing is a basic skill that every footballer should have.

kopzilla

Always Negative
he did an excellent job in the Villareal match at highbury remember...riquelme wasnt allowed to play his natural game

otfgoon

Established Member
Gilberto's distribution was not such a problem amongst fans the year we went unbeaten. Can someone explain to my why not playing alongside Patrick would effect Bertie's passing?

Rohit

Established Member
otfgoon said:
Gilberto's distribution was not such a problem amongst fans the year we went unbeaten. Can someone explain to my why not playing alongside Patrick would effect Bertie's passing?

Nor is it a problem while playing in the Brazilian national team.

MeDion

Name me all the holding dm that you think are better than gilberto please.

Now put them in gilberto's position in the cl last year and i can GUARANTEE you that we will never have the record for the most and longest clean sheets in the cl.

That is how crucial he is for our system. I appreciate him and for those of you who can't see that, u can talk crap and whine all you want but Gilberto is STILL going to be our dm for the next couple of years.The boss shall see to that. It is not gonna change. so take it or leave it.
-end-

kopzilla

Always Negative
yeah..and being a Brazilian , he has adjusted to the english culture nicely..and he doesnt complain....thats the best thing about him..he scores goals in the most desperate of circumstances..last season he was clumsy in the premiership and looked very awkward on the ball most of the times

Jasper

I think Gilberto is one of our best players on the field as long as he doesn't have to control the ball.

Meaning his strengths are pushing people off, and tackling. His positioning marking skills are superb.

Has he ever been tried as a defender? I think he could easily move into a more defensive position with our lack of depth.

This means we can get Hleb, Rosicky, Cesc, Reyes on the field at the same time.

Arnie

i don't wanna quote chips&curry, because enough people have done that and it makes the thread too big, but he is absoloutly right.

Gilberto is a good DM but not the best. I think his technical ability is acctually quite poor, he makes sloppy passes and miss controls it far more than a makalele or Gattuso, that's why he isn't the best. But needless to say, he does an alright job. What you gotta ask yourselves is, is alright good enough for Arsenal FC??

Arsenal Quotes

If you eat caviar everyday, it's difficult to return to sausages

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom