• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Will Robin leave if we keep failing?

Raider

Established Member
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8689_5022151,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.football365.com/story/0,1703 ... 51,00.html</a>

Unusual Quotes were reported today, from both Football465.com and also Skysports.com

"Yes. I have a contract until 2011," Van Persie told the Observer when asked if he would be at Arsenal next year.

"It's hard to say anything about it (contract extension) now. But put it this way. I have a friend who says the grass always looks greener in your neighbour's garden. He is right."

"My ambitions are very, very high and, I think, realistic. I want to be at a level where, as a club, we are winning things, not just every four or five years.

I myself were every so slightly worried by what is being reported.

I would only assume Robin would put off signing any contract until the end of the season so we can sit back and ponder what is best for his career. I know we have been extremely loyal to him, but being 25 and at a top top level now, he is surrounded by a fair few players who are not world beaters, and can barely hold their own. Robin does not want to go down as a player who has only won one trophy at club level ( FA cup 04/05 )

Its only natural to ponder, but eagerness to move could set in, especially if the guys upstairs at Barcelona keep praising him and rumours have been bantered around in recent months about a possible move.

Robins quotes dont strike me with confidance, especially the part where he talks about his contract.

IBL

Established Member
I hope not but recently his attitude has stunk, pretty much been the case since Arshavin arrived (coincidence?). I'm not gonna read to much into those quotes right now, we'll have a better idea come the end of the season

arsmile

Established Member
ambiguous quotes 'says the grass looks greener and he's right' could be 2 opposite things. 'he is right that the grass looks greener, but isnt greener' - in accordance with the saying, or 'he says the grass looks greenner, and he's right, it is greener' meaning he knows he could be at a 'better' club...

apart from that it is the standard 'i want to stay at this club but we need to progress' speil that him and cesc coem out with often.

progman07

Established Member
Ice Berg legend said:
I hope not but recently his attitude has stunk, pretty much been the case since Arshavin arrived (coincidence?). I'm not gonna read to much into those quotes right now, we'll have a better idea come the end of the season
Or his confidence, after failing to score in some big chances. It's so easy to judge a player on what we see, but the truth is we don't know tenth of the real story.

patrick42uk

Established Member
Good player but we'll live if he goes. Those quotes suggest to me he's staying. I believe he has genuine feelings for the club and I can see him sticking around for a long time.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
He knows by himself, if we can keep everybody fit next season, we will win prizes its almostt a guarenteed. or am i to over-excited?

A_Gooner_Matata

Established Member
HollandGooner said:
He knows by himself, if we can keep everybody fit next season, we will win prizes its almostt a guarenteed. or am i to over-excited?

If everyone stays and stays sort of fit, we'll win something. But I guess we say that quite a lot.

progman07

Established Member
arsmile said:
ambiguous quotes 'says the grass looks greener and he's right' could be 2 opposite things. 'he is right that the grass looks greener, but isnt greener' - in accordance with the saying, or 'he says the grass looks greenner, and he's right, it is greener' meaning he knows he could be at a 'better' club...

apart from that it is the standard 'i want to stay at this club but we need to progress' speil that him and cesc coem out with often.
That's a saying and it's clear Robin meant what he should have. He, as well as Cesc (who has told in an interview before that every player who leaves Arsenal fails to be as successful as he was here) know that it's not necessarily better in another club.

RvP had/has a good friend, Flamini... also I guess he was in good relationship with Hleb, too... You can guess what those two are advising to him (definitely not that he should leave)...

patrick42uk

Established Member
Yep last thing we need is to lose players again. We need to keep everyone, buy a cm and maybe a cb, and i think we'll have a good chance of winning something.

arsmile

Established Member
progman07 said:
arsmile said:

That's a saying and it's clear Robin meant what he should have. He, as well as Cesc (who has told in an interview before that every player who leaves Arsenal fails to be as successful as he was here) know that it's not necessarily better in another club.

RvP had/has a good friend, Flamini... also I guess he was in good relationship with Hleb, too... You can guess what those two are advising to him (definitely not that he should leave)...

that's my point- the quotes arent neccesarily negative. in fact i personally believe robin is saying 'it isnt perfect here, it may look better elsewhere, but that doesnt mean it is', robin has seen too many players leave and fail, to be ignorant enough to think he'd leave and win the champions league next season.

i dont find the quotes worrying.

Nela

Established Member
The thing I wonder about with players like RvP, is how would they really react if Wenger did bring in some world class players and it suddenly meant they'd have to start competing for a place in the team?

Arshavin hasn't been here long enough to really see. I haven't really seen anything strange, but others on this forum have commented on RvP's attitude towards him.

And look at Toure. Put in a transfer request when things got a little tough and Djourou's form was being rewared with starts.

If Eduardo stays fit and healthy, will RvP and Ade still be starters? How will they take it if they get relegated to the bench? How would RvP take it if he doesn't get in the starting 11 for CL games, since he doesn't really suit any of the positions in our CL formation?

M+D

Established Member
Fantastic Interview with Robin Van Persie

If you read that full interview rather than the bits Sky and co. chose to take, I think you will see the difference in how much it appears he cares and whether he would stay.

My favourite parts:

We want to build something special for next year, but let's not forget this year can be special, too. From my heart, I still believe we can win the Champions League."
"They want to see the team win and playing well and if it doesn't happen it is ­frustrating. I feel exactly the same thing. When I hear them shout, I can't shout, but inside I am shouting with them: 'Oh no.' Sometimes I see people's faces after another draw and it's like seeing 60,000 mirrors."
"My ambitions are very, very high and, I think, realistic. I want to be at a level where, as a club, we are winning things, not just every four or five years, but one or two trophies each year. That's what I think this club has in its pocket. I have won the Uefa Cup with Feyenoord and the FA Cup with ­Arsenal. I saw what it did to people in our big family – the fans and the whole club – and it makes life a lot easier. Some people might think my view is extreme, but that is what I want, and I want to do it here. I am not a guy who gives up. ­Otherwise I wouldn't be here."

General

Established Member
Lets be honest. If Robin doesn't sign his new contract before the season ends, this will inevitably descend into another summer of discontent. The stories with Barca have already started making the rounds and I'd like to think Ivan Bazooka is better placed to deal with the issues rather than the perceived public relations disaster we often get from the club every summer.

Whether Robin likes it or not, he's one of the reasons for our trophy drought and he's yet to give us a full injury free season. I caught a glimpse of an article about Steven Appiah the other day about how those Turkish doctor's totally mismanaged his injury. As a result no club wants him and although this was a case in the extreme, Robin must feel very fortunate for the level of patience and treatment he gets from the club. These are unmatched by any club of our calibre.

I believe he wants to stay. The grass certainly is greener here.

Zico

Established Member
Robin is not going anywhere. This is one of those guys who was was saved by Wenger and will always have an attachment to the man. As long as Wenger stays, guys like Clichy, Fabregas, Robin - all of whom made their big break through Wenger will not be restless. They might be restless if Wenger left, but I doubt that would mean they would automatically leave even then.

I think guys who owe Wenger nothing would be more likely to leave - someone like Gallas comes to mind.

run

I like robin and I don't think he's going anywhere...and I'm not bothered by the "grass is always greener" comments. Robin knows it never is any greener; that's the point.

All that said, I wouldn't be too bothered if we did sell Robin -- i think he slows us down sometimes and takes too many touches -- as along as we got a player as good or better to replace him. Of course the chances of wenger doing that are pretty small, so we better hold on for dear life.

qs

Established Member
I can't really take any of Robins comments seriously until he signs a contract. If he is happy with the wage and he wants to succeed here then all he has to do is sign his name. Wheres the problem?

Zico

Established Member
qs said:
I can't really take any of Robins comments seriously until he signs a contract. If he is happy with the wage and he wants to succeed here then all he has to do is sign his name. Wheres the problem?

Agreed. Maybe he's trying to figure out if Wenger will sign a man-eating central midfielder. If that's the case, it is hard to blame him, and the onus is on us to sign him up so that we do not have to deal with AS and La Marca rumors all summer long.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Denilson said:
"Yes. I have a contract until 2011," Van Persie told the Observer when asked if he would be at Arsenal next year.

"It's hard to say anything about it (contract extension) now. But put it this way. I have a friend who says the grass always looks greener in your neighbour's garden. He is right."

"My ambitions are very, very high and, I think, realistic. I want to be at a level where, as a club, we are winning things, not just every four or five years.

Do you guys actually think that RVP is our only player to feel that way? I am sure that if we continue to flop next season Cesc, Walcott, Adebayor, heck maybe even Eduardo and Arashavin will be thinking about their future. About whether they should stay forever in a club that's going nowhere. And can you guys actually blame them for that?

Unforgiven

Established Member
I don't see how he can say he is unhappy with not winning, he has been injured for half his career. Each season since the FA cup we have been in the CL final, CC final, and almost won the PL/CL last season. So I do not see why he can say he wants to go to a better club who wins more which is probably only Man United doing that at the moment.

I can see RVP competing for his place in some ways. I feel Eduardo is a better striker, Adebayor we need for his physical presence, and maybe Arshavin will be a really good striker for us. I only feel RVP is our no.1 at corners from the left and free kicks. So I do not see him as our no.1 player at the moment. We will see if he does sign a new contract I guess.

Arsenal Quotes

In a football match anything can happen, the players, 90 minutes, fantastic moves, an element of luck, talent, courage, and touch of magic and, for those who are watching these men play, the search for excitement, for a memory, for a lesson in life.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom