• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Will The New Pitch Size Benefit Us?

Will Ashburtons Pitch Size Help Us?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kraig

Established Member
Ive been thinking that some of our best performances last season came when we had more room to play about on (especially if you think back to bernabeu) Im thinking that with more space for us to play our slick passing football, and players like hleb, reyes, rosicky having more individual space we could see the best of alot of our squad next season... your thoughts please...

cesc18

logically yes
greater pitch area
more space to pass around and more space for wide players for runs
and i hope it makes up for the fact that we will miss our old ground :(
but i do remember the matches at wembley where it didnt help too much

entropy13

Established Member
We certainly take bigger pitch size to our advantage because of the style of play...so it will indeed benefit us. More goals coming in for us then? and more scorers as well for Arsenal :D

Marky249

Wembley was a bit of nightmare for us but this will be diffrent im sure,my biggest hope is that the camera angle stays the same I love the low angle at highbury

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
With the ball playing abillity of our midfielders (Fab, Hleb, rosicky etc.) to play the ball into space and with players such as Henry, Reyes, Ljungberg, Cole, Eboue and Walcott running into the spaces the New pitch should make us formidable.

We would have to adapt our style slightly though as highbury was perfect for players like Bergkamp, Pires and petit to play in tight spaces and was something other teams couldn't match. Basically the only team suited to playing at highbury was us.

Will the new pitch help arsenal more than highbury I suppose only time will tell.

qs

Established Member
Hard to say. Theoretically it should give the likes of Herny, REyes, Ade etc more room to run into.

However we always excellend at highbury, I think our passing at home will have to differ and theres gonna be a longer run when we break.

Plus we dont play with too much width. Having the likes of Reyes, Hleb, Freddie and Rosicky on the wings will mean we will continue to play narrower and Id worry we might be hurt by teams with natural width.

Theres pros and there is cons. We'll just have to adapt.

™}}T£M0o$£{{™

Marky249 said:
Wembley was a bit of nightmare for us but this will be diffrent im sure,my biggest hope is that the camera angle stays the same I love the low angle at highbury
it doesn't look like it will i will post an image showing where the it will probably be :( :( :( :( :cry:

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
™}}T£M0o$£{{™ said:
bigger pitch means no more lightning quick counter attacks

Absolutely true, but with the extra space and the ability of our players to play the killer pass I think a bigger pitch makes us slightly more dangerous on the counter. Imagine Fab in possesion with reyes and Thiery the great in front of him 3 on 3 with the defence on a large pitch :D potentially devastating.

Instead of slick 1, 2 passing counters we would need to adapt to carring the ball on the counter.

Pete

Yes, the larger pitch will clearly suit us. Not only because we will have more space to pass to ball in but also because opposition defences will have larger gaps between their players than at Highbury. What I mean is, say the opposition is playing a back four. The new Arsenal stadium pitch is 6 metres wider than Highbury, equating to an extra 1.5m metres extra between each defender across the pitch. With the likes of Henry and Walcott up front it'll be much easier to slide passes between defenders for our boys to run onto.

Another, long term benefit, is that the pitch will be so big that a dull, pressing game will be difficult to the point of exhaustion. Hopefully all future Arsenal teams wills have no option but to play open, technical, expansive football because of it.

™}}T£M0o$£{{™

Pete said:
Yes, the larger pitch will clearly suit us. Not only because we will have more space to pass to ball in but also because opposition defences will have larger gaps between their players than at Highbury. What I mean is, say the opposition is playing a back four. The new Arsenal stadium pitch is 6 metres wider than Highbury, equating to an extra 1.5m metres extra between each defender across the pitch. With the likes of Henry and Walcott up front it'll be much easier to slide passes between defenders for our boys to run onto.

Another, long term benefit, is that the pitch will be so big that a dull, pressing game will be difficult to the point of exhaustion. Hopefully all future Arsenal teams wills have no option but to play open, technical, expansive football because of it.
that will be the same case for our defense

Saville

™}}T£M0o$£{{™ said:
bigger pitch means no more lightning quick counter attacks

No i think your wrong there mate, because if you look at it, Henry had loads of room to run into at the Bearnabeu, why? because it's a big pitch...we havnt seen Henry run into a lot of space at Highbury simply because the pitch wasnt big enough, thats why Wenger may of made our new pitch bigger, to benifit the team. Hopefully next season though the pitch will benifit us a bit more with Henry and Theo's pace! dont forget with Hleb and Rosicky providing the through balls, we could be unstoppable!

Could be an advantage. Will depend largely upon the quality of the opposition.

Manure's pitch is roughly the same size.

Draw your own conclusions :?:

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Don't really see how a bigger pitch will be anything other than a benefit to us to be honest. Especially as we'll be playing on it every fortnight. Wenger's having the training pitches resized too.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
hey but on the contrary theres always big pitch at OT and we haven't won there for a long time. furthermore, all our best performance last season is at highbury where small pitch suit us. therefore i hope we will adapt to our new home fast enough

Gothics

It has to suit us sooner or later... We might be playing in that stadium for the next century. If we don't play to that width, then what? Struggle at home?

Jkreffer

Established Member
Well in theory it should work, but then obviously we have played better at home on the smaller pitch in general. However, I am sure it will just be a case of adapting to the new pitch and hopefully won't be too long before we carry over our highbury form.

Another good point is that playing on a large pitch most the time may even benefit us more in away matches now. Something of which we could have used last season.

jester

Established Member
on the face of it it looks like it wouldnt. our best results have come at home on a smaller pitch, and have played worse on pitches such as old trafford.
but this could obviously be the home advantage, the non-hostile crowd, familiar settings, less travel etc.
i would get into more things such as the added pressure on the home team and the whole social facilitation thing (players play better or worse in front of people), but thats a bit too in depth for right now.

but wenger knows. he wouldnt make the pitch bigger if it wouldnt benefit us.

Arsenal Quotes

Don’t be scared to be ambitious. It’s not a humiliation to have a high target and to fail. For me, the real humiliation is to have a target and not to give everything to reach it.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom