• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Will The New Pitch Size Benefit Us?

Will Ashburtons Pitch Size Help Us?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Fourteen

The bigger pitch will definately benefit us. If that's what Mr. Wenger wants, then who is to say he is wrong? Our brand of football needs to be played on large surface, to accomodate Henry's outside to inside runs, Cole's darts foward, and Reyes/Hleb runs. Also, I'm sure Rosicky will be threading balls for the former to chase. Arsenal are probably one of the quickest teams in the leauge (if not, the quickest) and a larger pitch suits quicker teams off the ball. Someobody mentioned the gaps between defenders. With the pace of Theo and Henry, they will definately be exploited. I don't know if pitch size makes enough of a difference to win a league, but I'm sure it does help a little. And the fact that Mr. Wenger opted for an extra large, makes me a happy man, because I'm sure we will continue to see the Arsenal brand of football that we've been accustomed to, if not, taken to another level. We will just have to wait and see.

gstew

Larger pitch size benefits teams that hold the ball better because the ball does much of the work for the offense, but the players do much of the work for the defense. Therefore, the defending team has to run more and gets more fatigued. Who holds the ball better than Arsenal?

Larger pitch size benefits faster teams who can expoit larger spaces. With Henry, Walcott, Eboue, Kolo, Cole, Ade, Hleb, etc., I believe that we are one of the fastest (probably the fastest) teams in the Premiership.

Larger pitch size benefits teams that know how to use width. I am not sure that we are helped here.

Larger pitch size hurts teams whose offsides trap is not perfect. I would rate Arsenal's trap as one of the best in the Premiership. Therefore, this should hurt our opponents much more than us.

All-in-all, I believe the new pitch size will be of huge benefit to Arsenal. Of course, it is our road form that is the current problem. A few years ago we were actually better on the road than home (01/02 we went undefeated on the road, but lost three at home).

ap

i am of a slight different opinion. we were benefited from the highbury for some didnt expect us to play so well on a small pitch. opponents were shocked with our slick passes over the edge in both flanks and didnt expect we could make the way out from the crowded areas. also, it requires a much better close control of the balls with a small pitch we were certainly doing better than others not only becasue we are more skillful but we are used to it, that other dont have a chance to do so.

on the other hand, our defence suffers on bigger pitch that oponents keep throwing long balls. Their attackers are strong enough to beat us when chasing the balls in open space.

Zanarkand

The new ground has room to grow right, in a few seasons may add more seats? Be i dunno 80 000 capacity in 5-10 years time?

Pete

GoonerGurjit said:
jester said:
but wenger knows. he wouldnt make the pitch bigger if it wouldnt benefit us.

Excellent point. The pitch dimensions are according to what Wenger wanted.

Nope, the dimensions are what UEFA wanted. An awful lot of the dimensions in the new stadium come down to UEFA regulations, not necessarily what Arsenal wanted. It just so happens that Wenger would have had a larger pitch anyway, even if the Arsenal were free to choose, he said so in an interview in the stadium mag about 18 months ago. But it had to be this size, UEFA said so.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Pete said:
GoonerGurjit said:
jester said:

Nope, the dimensions are what UEFA wanted. An awful lot of the dimensions in the new stadium come down to UEFA regulations, not necessarily what Arsenal wanted. It just so happens that Wenger would have had a larger pitch anyway, even if the Arsenal were free to choose, he said so in an interview in the stadium mag about 18 months ago. But it had to be this size, UEFA said so.

I'm not sure that's 100% right. I know we needed a bigger pitch to comply with UEFA regulations, but I'm sure our pitch isn't the bare minimum size required by UEFA, which indicates that yes, we did choose the size of our pitch. Just a thought.

Number8

RocktheCasbah said:
Pete said:
GoonerGurjit said:
jester said:

I'm not sure that's 100% right. I know we needed a bigger pitch to comply with UEFA regulations, but I'm sure our pitch isn't the bare minimum size required by UEFA, which indicates that yes, we did choose the size of our pitch. Just a thought.

Could also be the way the Grove is funded, larger pitch, larger perimeter, more billboards :eek:ops:

Meatwad

UEFA did require a bigger pitch size than Highbury, but not as big as we have. It would be silly to have such a requirement, it's huge because Arsène wanted it huge.

I can't imagine UEFA requiring pitches to be significantly bigger than FIFA requires for international football.

Pete

The Arsenal has been sending out a magazine about the stadium to season ticket holders and/or members. A previous edition published an interview with Wenger about it. He stated that the pitch conforms to the size requested by UEFA. He then went on to say that even if UEFA didn't have any particular requirements he would have specified a larger pitch than is at Hightbury, as this would benefit the team.

h8chelski

im not sure im happy about there being a bigger pitch. highbury was a one of a kind. arsenal were brilliant at playing intricate, one touch football on it and most visiting teams found it difficult because they quite simply werent dextrous enough to play well on a pitch so small.
lets just hope arenal can continue to dazzle and bewilder opponents at the emirates like we did at highbury.

Pete

Here we go:

EMIRATES STADIUM - The Official Magazine of the Asenal Stadium Development Project

Issue 2 April 2005, "Wenger's Vision", page 13:

Q: How will Emirates Stadium pitch differ from Highbury?

AW: It will be bigger. It will be 105 metres by 68 because those are the European requested dimensions. At the moment when we play at Highbury we have special dispensation from UEFA for Champions League games because it is as big as our pitch will go.

Even if we didn't have to make the pitch bigger, I would still want it bigger. We are at an advantage on a bigger pitch because if you pass the ball well it suits your game to have a bigger pitch.

i'll agree. besides it will benefit the team, it will benefit us, the fans too. there will be much more chance to get a ticket (because its 60.000 capacity! :D) lol. IMO, though

Arsenal Quotes

Dennis Bergkamp is the club's unconditional idol, a perfectionist whom I never saw make a careless technical move.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom