• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Willian

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 2,913
  • Views 232,989

Would you be happy with the Willian signing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Depends who you talk to, the Chelsea fan I work with says he was one of their top players least season, and tbh, he was! Also less money per week but more overall ie 3 years maybe 4, thats important for a player of 31. Yes I'm assuming he will play well, he's just been playing well in July so no reason to suggest he wont play well next season. We couldn't have got a player of his quality for £5.2m per yr, thats why its a good signing. There is a risk to all signings, only time till tell. I think its good business, leaves us to go for CB & Partey or similar.
There is reason to believe he won't play well. Willian performed well only in the last season. His performances were poor in the years before that. It is likely that he pushed hard to land a good final contract. He may not have the same motivation now. And he will join Arsenal only because he wants to be in London. This is Cech story all over again. Given that our team already has problems with hunger and motivation, I don't think signings like this will help unless we are looking at him as a squad player to reduce pressure on regular 11 and we use him only in EL and cup ties.

Makavelii

There is reason to believe he won't play well. Willian performed well only in the last season. His performances were poor in the years before that. It is likely that he pushed hard to land a good final contract. He may not have the same motivation now. And he will join Arsenal only because he wants to be in London. This is Cech story all over again. Given that our team already has problems with hunger and motivation, I don't think signings like this will help unless we are looking at him as a squad player to reduce pressure on regular 11 and we use him only in EL and cup ties.

This is the first good argument I’ve heard against the Willian signing.
It’ll be Arteta’s job to motivate him I guess.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Im sorry but to suggest Nelson has played a lot is so far from the truth its not funny. In the past two seasons he has played less than 2000 minutes, Mount alone played over 3000 minutes in the championship with Derby at the same age as Nelson. Pulisic at the same age with Dortmund had played 127 times and over 7500 minutes with many of those appearances being lacklustre.
I’m talking about here. We’ve seen plenty of
Young players seize their opportunity with similar minutes to Reiss.

Like I said, at this club alone Saka and Martinelli both leap frogged him. They’ve played less than Nelson.

Kobi

I Know Who You Are
I don't understand this "he's only joining because he wants to stay in London" argument. So?
Virtually all of Man City's squad signed for money, it doesn't seem to have hampered them, you think Sergio Aguero grew up dreaming of being Niall Quinn?
Money and location are the determining factors for almost all transfers, if Willian had signed on a higher wage for two years then he would 'only be coming for the money', why not just wait till we actually see him play?

We finished 8th ffs, players aren't exactly going to falling over themselves to come here, I think we're deluding ourselves.

Juan Matas Beard

Pronouns: dat, guy 🫶
Trusted ⭐

Chelsea fans thought the same when they initially signed him from Anzhi Makhachkala, he rejected clubs in Europe to sign for them during their big takeover. He's proven to be a top professional no matter what club.

I can't point to a single manager that didn't rate him over his Chelsea spell.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Chelsea fans thought the same when they initially signed him from Anzhi Makhachkala, he rejected clubs in Europe to sign for them during their big takeover. He's proven to be a top professional no matter what club.

I can't point to a single manager that didn't rate him over his Chelsea spell.
People talked about the same professionalism when we signed Cech too. For him, being professional mostly seem to be a matter of turning up for matches, stopping shots which a normal PL level goalie could stop and go back home. We don't need such players. We want players who would go that extra mile. We need players who have the fire and hunger to turn matches around. A player who is on the final contract of his career and signed for the club purely because of family reasons won't be possessing those qualities.
As I said, if he is going to be a make-shift player used for cup matches and EL so that our main players can be rested, I am fine with it.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
So how many minutes do you want to give him before you cash in/give up?

He’s played a lot man, we’ve seen Saka and Martinelli at our club alone take their chances while Reiss still needs more time. He didn’t impress at Hoffenheim while Sancho (who by all accounts is similarly talented) absolutely took his chance. He then comes here and Saka and Martinelli jump ahead of him in their development.

You have to start questioning if he’ll make it here, talent isn’t everything. His ceiling is high but will he actually hit it?
He has not played a lot :lol: :lol:

Let him go on loan and play a regular season, he has not had the chance to do that. I'm not saying he has to start ahead of Pepe, I'm saying don't sell him - especially not now.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

He has not played a lot :lol: :lol:

Let him go on loan and play a regular season, he has not had the chance to do that. I'm not saying he has to start ahead of Pepe, I'm saying don't sell him - especially not now.
Yeah fair enough.

All I’m saying is that sometimes you may have to take the L further down the line to improve your team in the short term. Imagine a scenario where we could sign Partey but only if we sold Reiss for example.

Feel like we’ll be faced with situations like this soon. I do like Reiss though, still feel he’s the most talented of the current batch.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Yeah fair enough.

All I’m saying is that sometimes you may have to take the L further down the line to improve your team in the short term. Imagine a scenario where we could sign Partey but only if we sold Reiss for example.

Feel like we’ll be faced with situations like this soon. I do like Reiss though, still feel he’s the most talented of the current batch.

I’d rather loan him than sell him. Even if he’s never good enough a year of first team football will improve his value a lot.

Tom349

I’m talking about here. We’ve seen plenty of
Young players seize their opportunity with similar minutes to Reiss.

Like I said, at this club alone Saka and Martinelli both leap frogged him. They’ve played less than Nelson.

Nelsons minutes at the club are very similar to Martinelli's and I would argue both players are in a similar position. Both behind more accomplished players and haven't really proven anything yet. Saka is clearly ahead of them but even he faces a greater challenge next season with likely great competition for a spot and a large part of the reason he is ahead is due to the opening at left back with Tierney injury issues and Kolasanic being a terrible footballer.

It is flat out wrong to suggest Nelson has had enough opportunities both in the context of minutes played and continuity of his opportunity and position he has played when given those opportunities.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
As I said, if he is going to be a make-shift player used for cup matches and EL so that our main players can be rested, I am fine with it.
He's obviously going to start. This bullshit about not being motivated is weak sauce.
Willian could have left in China or Qatar like some of his compatriots throughout the years and get silly money but he still stayed in the toughest league.
He's a consistent performer that doesn't cause trouble and works hard on the pitch.
Who else do we have that's more experienced than him for Willian to be a make shift player? You're talking as if this squad is made out of galacticos or something.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters

He's coming here to be an integral part of the first eleven not a make-shift player. Cup and EL is reserved for the likes of Nelson, Martinelli and other youngsters.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me

You are speculating, we have to wait and see, at this point it looks to be good business. Also we paid £10m for Cech + his wages so you cant really compare the 2 signings.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Nelsons minutes at the club are very similar to Martinelli's and I would argue both players are in a similar position. Both behind more accomplished players and haven't really proven anything yet. Saka is clearly ahead of them but even he faces a greater challenge next season with likely great competition for a spot and a large part of the reason he is ahead is due to the opening at left back with Tierney injury issues and Kolasanic being a terrible footballer.

It is flat out wrong to suggest Nelson has had enough opportunities both in the context of minutes played and continuity of his opportunity and position he has played when given those opportunities.
Alright alright!:eek:ops:

I guess I was just disappointed in how timid he’s been when he’s one of the most talented players in the squad. A loan makes sense.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
You are speculating, we have to wait and see, at this point it looks to be good business. Also we paid £10m for Cech + his wages so you cant really compare the 2 signings.
Aside from that, comparing a tall guy like Helmet to a diminutive player like Willian is really reaching.
I'm willing to bet my beard that Willian's biological age is younger than his chronological age.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
This is the first good argument I’ve heard against the Willian signing.
It’ll be Arteta’s job to motivate him I guess.

I take it it is also the first comment on the topic you have read?

I have posted several comments saying about his desire for more money, staying in London and no real ambition to compete considering he is leaving a team who will be playing CL football in places like Nou Camp, Allianz while with us he will be playing in front of 20,000 when fans are allowed back in in Europe.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Thought you were already a member of Church of Wenger...
:lol: Just a fan of very capable managers, like Arteta and Wenger.

Emery wasn't all that bad tbf, but he kept on tinkering, trying to stop those idiots on the pitch making stupid errors. He was at the mercy of Raul and Edu as much as Arteta.

Makavelii

I take it it is also the first comment on the topic you have read?

I have posted several comments saying about his desire for more money, staying in London and no real ambition to compete considering he is leaving a team who will be playing CL football in places like Nou Camp, Allianz while with us he will be playing in front of 20,000 when fans are allowed back in in Europe.
Nah you didn’t make the point that his last season may have been an unnatural improvement in form only due to contract expiry.
Your points are **** as others have pointed out above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I was receiving offers from many other clubs and declining them all, even the most tempting ones. Juventus, Real Madrid, PSG contacted me, Bayern, France, England...I am happy to have been able to say no to more glory, more money, and to have been guided only by the idea of loyally serving the club. I had knitted myself a soul in Red and White.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom