• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Willian

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 2,913
  • Views 233,968

Would you be happy with the Willian signing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

zilfy

Spoiler it doesn’t die and is perfectly fine afterwards.

Watch more Attenborough you cretin.
That's the episode with the goslings right?
I lost alot of respect for nature after watching that. Poor bastards have to leap off mountains at 2 days old and hope for the best. Mother Nature is a sick, twisted *****

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Good player. Still seems intrinsically motivated. Will want to play in the next Copa America and world cup.

I don't get why he wants 3 years though. Might as well get 2 and become a free agent again if it is about the bag.

Seems a negotiation tactic to get him a bumper two years at Chelsea.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Good player. Still seems intrinsically motivated. Will want to play in the next Copa America and world cup.

I don't get why he wants 3 years though. Might as well get 2 and become a free agent again if it is about the bag.

Seems a negotiation tactic to get him a bumper two years at Chelsea.

A lot harder for him to get a decent deal at 34 than it is now. £120k a week for 3 years is better than £120k for two years and then getting offered £80k somewhere.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
It certainly seems about the money for him. Which would be a big red flag for me.

At 32 if Chelsea is offering him a decent salary and 2 more years you would think he would bite their hand off especially if Lampard wants him in the team which it seems he does.

How Ziyech and Havertz would change that I dont know but I would be wary of a player swapping to an inferior club based on the last few season just to get an extra year on his contract.

Hes still a good player and still fast both with the ball and without it but I just dont see where he fits.

Pepes on the left. Unless we play a 4 2 3 1 where Willian plays central which he can easily do.

Not for me.

field442

Trusted ⭐
It certainly seems about the money for him. Which would be a big red flag for me.

At 32 if Chelsea is offering him a decent salary and 2 more years you would think he would bite their hand off especially if Lampard wants him in the team which it seems he does.

How Ziyech and Havertz would change that I dont know but I would be wary of a player swapping to an inferior club based on the last few season just to get an extra year on his contract.

Hes still a good player and still fast both with the ball and without it but I just dont see where he fits.

Pepes on the left. Unless we play a 4 2 3 1 where Willian plays central which he can easily do.

Not for me.

If we go with 4 at the back and switch between 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 depending on the opposition then he can play on either wing or behind the striker. I think if anything that’s the plus with signing him. He gives you cover in three positions.

truth_hurts

A lot harder for him to get a decent deal at 34 than it is now. £120k a week for 3 years is better than £120k for two years and then getting offered £80k somewhere.

You'd think at 34 he'd get a big offer from China or the MLS quite easily.

field442

Trusted ⭐
You'd think at 34 he'd get a big offer from China or the MLS quite easily.

MLS maybe, but China have salary caps now. I’m not sure many footballers will go there for similar money to what they can get in Europe. I think I read he likes it in London as well. He has his restaurant with Luiz in Mayfair so maybe he wants a deal long enough that he can hang up his boots at the end of it.

truth_hurts

Maybe. All seems to lead to him negotiating more money from Chelsea as he should as their longest servant. Think I'm right in saying that.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
If we go with 4 at the back and switch between 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 depending on the opposition then he can play on either wing or behind the striker. I think if anything that’s the plus with signing him. He gives you cover in three positions.

Yeah but if we have Auba high wages, on the left of a 3 and Pepe 72m signing on the right of a 3 where does Willian start? No harm but we dont need a 32 year old on 120k a week or more as a squad player. That's what Nelson, ESR, Saka some matches etc is for.

So either Willian is being signed to start or hes not being signed at all.

field442

Trusted ⭐
Yeah but if we have Auba high wages, on the left of a 3 and Pepe 72m signing on the right of a 3 where does Willian start? No harm but we dont need a 32 year old on 120k a week or more as a squad player. That's what Nelson, ESR, Saka some matches etc is for.

So either Willian is being signed to start or hes not being signed at all.

Hard to know what the thinking would be until we see what they do with Auba and Lacazette. If one of them leaves Willian probably plays on the left. Arteta spoke about wanting more creativity in the team and the only way that is going to happen is if you stop playing Auba on the left and get a more attack minded midfielder in the middle of the pitch. I hope the goal is to have someone like Willian or Saka playing on the left with Auba moving up front. If we have a midfielder playing a bit further up the pitch linking the play maybe Arteta stops being so fixated with playing Lacazette up front and plays Auba instead.

But yeah, everything is an unknown at the minute so impossible to know what they’re planning.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Hard to know what the thinking would be until we see what they do with Auba and Lacazette. If one of them leaves Willian probably plays on the left. Arteta spoke about wanting more creativity in the team and the only way that is going to happen is if you stop playing Auba on the left and get a more attack minded midfielder in the middle of the pitch. I hope the goal is to have someone like Willian or Saka playing on the left with Auba moving up front. If we have a midfielder playing a bit further up the pitch linking the play maybe Arteta stops being so fixated with playing Lacazette up front and plays Auba instead.

But yeah, everything is an unknown at the minute so impossible to know what they’re planning.

Yeah could be my only concern is that Willian predominantly plays on the right. That may be helped with Pulisic and other players more comfortable on the left.

If the contract was for 2 years on reasonable money ok. If Artetas plan was to start him fair enough.

However I see this more as a club wants an attacking player. They dont want to spend the money to buy one. So here we have the opportunist Arsenal striking again. Oh Willian wants to stay in London. Hes an attacking midfielder and hes free. His wages are high but sure we dont have to spend 20-30m to buy the player outright.

If however it means Auba stays, Laca goes and we strengthen in midfield and defence then fair enough. And buy the time Willian is done in 2 years Saka, Eddie, Martinelli, Nelson, ESR may be 100% ready for first team football week in week out. Saka basically there already

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I often relive those 49 undefeated matches. I do believe in signs to a certain extent, and as I was born in 1949, I sometimes tell myself it was our destiny to lose the 50th. Those 49 matches are etched within me and within each player: it is something fundamental, a triumph born out of passion.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom