• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wilshere misses out on u21 call up

sabret00the

Established Member
Seems our boy Jack was overlooked more or less completely in terms of England call ups, with no promotion to the u21 or Full squads. I've been dying to see him in the u21 squad, hoping that he could have more time to mesh with Gibbs, which would favour us, but alas no.

Are you happy that he's been overlooked? After all it allows the hype to go away. Or are you now a little disgruntled?

otfgoon

Established Member
I would habe liked to see him in the U-21, the hype would not have been that bad and he would have gotten some games and experience.

Not exactly gutted though.

A_Gooner_Matata

Established Member
As a rule, I'm happy whenever an Arsenal player misses out on international duty. Perhaps I'm overly cynical about injuries...

Unforgiven

Established Member
Would have been good for him but he is only just 17, can't expect him to be definitely in there.

A_Gooner_Matata

Established Member
I wonder what odds you'd get on Wilshere never playing for the under-21s? There must be a chance he could go straight to the national side and stay there.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
Happy that he got overlooked.

He is so good we need to make sure he won't become Deisler

patrick42uk

Established Member
Am i the only one who immediately thought he'd be included in the senior squad? End of the day, how many U-21 games did Rooney play. The boy is a bigger talent.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
Personally I don't care either way, but I feel a bit sad for Jack. He's worked hard for this and he's performed brilliantly in preseason, only for a imbecile like Pearce to screw him over. He deserves better; he's heads and shoulders above most of those guys already anyway.

patrick: I think Capello wants to take it slow with Jack. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a callup sometime during this season and perhaps even gets included in the squad for South Africa, but right now it's a bit too early.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Good question about Rooney patrick42uk, does anybody know how many England u21 games Rooney played before making the step up...or was he included in the first team straight away??

Onto Jack, i am not really bothered to be honest with you...he is only 17 so he has plenty of time to get a call-up. I wouldn't be surprised if Pearce never included him in the squad because of the Theo situation last season were Arsène wasn't too pleased with him playing in both setups...maybe Stuart didn't want to further annoy Arsène by including Jack in his squad? (Just a thought, i dont know why Arsène wouldn't want Jack called up...maybe because of the pressure or something??)

outlaw_member

Established Member
Klaus Daimler said:
Personally I don't care either way, but I feel a bit sad for Jack. He's worked hard for this and he's performed brilliantly in preseason, only for a imbecile like Pearce to screw him over. He deserves better; he's heads and shoulders above most of those guys already anyway.

patrick: I think Capello wants to take it slow with Jack. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a callup sometime during this season and perhaps even gets included in the squad for South Africa, but right now it's a bit too early.

If Pearce can't see how Wilshere could help his team, than he frankly doesn't deserve him. Although, I think the current England setup is no longer based on picking the most talented players, but instead choosing the best performing players. In that sense, it is understandable why he won't get picked until he starts playing consistently for Arsenal.

otfgoon

Established Member
Northern_Gunner said:
Good question about Rooney patrick42uk, does anybody know how many England u21 games Rooney played before making the step up...or was he included in the first team straight away??

Rooney skipped the U-21 level I think.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
If Pearce can't see how Wilshere could help his team, than he frankly doesn't deserve him.
Fully agree. At the same time I realise that a callup means something to Jack and for that I'm angry.

outlaw_member said:
Although, I think the current England setup is no longer based on picking the most talented players, but instead choosing the best performing players. In that sense, it is understandable why he won't get picked until he starts playing consistently for Arsenal.
I don't know. Nobody else in the U21 squad has performed like Wilshere has during the preseason. Perhaps it's based on picking players that are regulars? But that still doesn't explain why the likes of Gibbs and Junior Stanislas are included. I think that Pearce is just playing it safe. He's old school and believes you have to earn a place in his team, hence benching Walcott during the U21 Euros after tearing up heaven and earth just to get him into the squad. Perhaps he's even too proud to be a vehicle for Wilshere for three or four months until Capello calls on him. Whatever the reason for not picking him is, it's not based on either performances or current football ability.

M+D

Established Member
The fact that Chris Smalling has been called up suggests that Pearce doesn't really care whether they are a regular for their clubs or not surely? And I assume he has been picked purely on pre-season performances as his first Fulham start came in a friendly this summer.

Interesting how SkySports are even running the story from the angle that Wilshere should be in it: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12010_5475128,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 28,00.html</a>

outlaw_member

Established Member
I think the lack of league appearances is probably his reason. Stanislas and Gibbs have had relatively more game time in the league, whereas Wilshere has only played around 15 minutes. Not that it matters much, because Wilshere is obviously a far better player than both of them, but since Capello has come in, performances and consistent selection has been rewarded over reputation and talent. The scale is obviously smaller in the u21 scene, but I think if Wilshere appears in a few league games this season, than I have no doubt that he will be picked.

Edit: Than again Smalling proves that theory wrong.

MAK 14

Established Member
No point really worrying about it, the lad is still incredibly young, time is definitely on his side. However, i do agree that had he had the time he deserved last season, he would probably of had a call up. Just think about all the times we could of had Wilshere playing on the wings instead of Diaby, and had that happened i'm sure he would of been called up.

patrick42uk

Established Member
Looking at that squad, I can see why JAck was omitted. What a waste of time it would be. THose guys would make him look bad

patrick42uk

Established Member
Actually, I think the whole England experience will be unproductive for Jack. If I were him, I'd take a good look at the family tree to see if theres any latin ancestry.

Arsenal Quotes

It is well known the referees are protected very well like the lions in the zoo so we have to live with their decisions

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom