• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Would it be so bad

sabret00the

Established Member
...going into the new season with these striking options?
+ Dudu
+ van Persie
+ Walcott
+ Bendtner
+ Vela

I mean do we really NEED another striker should we sell Adebayor? I feel the balance would be a lot better and a lot more interchangeable between the above should we set out our stall to play the season with dual strikers.

Gooner_Stu

Established Member
Some have said, and with a fair point that IF we sold Ade, then we could just place Arshavin up behind the main forward (or even along side them) and use to buy another Left winger.

Im not sure, it looks a nice list but it depends on RVP having a season of Fitness like this one just gone and not the previous 2 and Eduardo making a sucessfull comeback into the 1st team w/o injuries.

Oh, and i think Walcott isnt going to be playing as a forward just yet since AW appears to prefere him on the Right of midfield.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I like the Striker's above however, it seems like we would be putting ALOT of pressure on Robin Van Persie, he IS injury prone..just because he had one season where he hardly got injured doesn't mean he is fully recovered from those month long injuries. Another thing is, what happens if he doesn't sign a new contract and leaves us in the ****? - Do we go out and spend money on two striker's or just the one striker and go into the following season like this:

New Striker
Eduardo
Walcott
Bendtner
Vela

In my opinion which is very weak.

Also, Eduardo might not be ready to play 30 plus games a season just yet and unless we play with just the one up top it would mean either Bendtner (is he good enough for first choice just yet?) Vela (Not yet ready to play 30 plus games himself) Theo Walcott (Would Arsène change him from a winger to a striker just yet?) becoming a main striker.

I just hope we do keep Adebayor and that Robin signs a new deal.

(my first "Arsenal Talk" post so be kind!).

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
not at all.. if we are going to sign a striker he has to be world class, otherwise don't bother.. there are other areas we need to fix/deal with first.

but I don't want to sell Ade, so for me it would be ideal to keep all our strikers.

LucasNL

If it wasn't for Eduardo's injury problems I would be fine with those players, assuming we'd sell Adebayor for a big amount of money I'd rather have Wenger invest that money in more defenders and central midfielders.

TomasCR

Established Member
No it wouldn't. That's why I wouldn't "mind" selling him because I naively believe that the money we would get for him could be used to strengthen other areas, such as the midfield and central defence.

Plus, Arshavin, Nasri and Rosicky could be all used as second strikers or fifth midfielders if needed.

Biggus

Established Member
TomasCR said:
No it wouldn't. That's why I wouldn't "mind" selling him because I naively believe that the money we would get for him could be used to strengthen other areas, such as the midfield and central defence.

:lol: Sell no one, thats the last we'll ever hear of the money.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
I cant see Eduardo playing many games or even starting ahead of RVP and Adebayor, and specially last few matches this season Wenger was really liking the 4-2-3-1. But i think with the current options we have we need to play 4-4-2 with a perfect holding player beside Cesc otherwise it will be the same story next season. (Vela and Eduardo will feature but not in alot of games I think and Bendtner will fill in alot more then he did this season).

And a big problem could be if we want the best of Arshavin it will mean the end of the 4-4-2.

AFCG7

Established Member
We need another. Havent the last few seasons reminded you of how bad our luck is with regard to injuries?

otfgoon

Established Member
I think its easy to think it would be worse than it might be in reality since we've not seen Eduardo play for a long time, while we're not expecting much from Bendtner or Vela either.

But yeah, it would not be so bad.

qs

Established Member
It'd be a weakening from what we have and thats not a good thing. Eduardo and especially Robin can't be relied on to stay fit and you can't expect consistent performances from Vela or Bendtner. And if Walcott goes up front he's got all the problems above plus we'd need a new winger. Unless we want to see Walcott up front with Eboue or Diaby on the wings.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
sabret00the said:
...going into the new season with these striking options?
+ Eduardo
+ van Persie
+ Walcott
+ Bendtner
+ Vela
It would not be ideal. There are a lot of question marks in that list. Eduardo - fitness and, let's face it, consistent EPL experience. RvP - fitness plus his actual role up front. Walcott - experience up-front plus our weakness in the wide positions. Vela - experience plus his role in the NT (he will play qualifying matches starting Aug. 12th). Bendtner - consistency and has not lead the attack over the long haul yet.

So, if Ade were to go I'd either want another forward brought in or, at the very least, another wide man.

Viking

qs said:
It'd be a weakening from what we have and thats not a good thing. Eduardo and especially Robin can't be relied on to stay fit and you can't expect consistent performances from Vela or Bendtner. And if Walcott goes up front he's got all the problems above plus we'd need a new winger. Unless we want to see Walcott up front with Eboue or Diaby on the wings.

This, this, this. Can't be said any clearer, getting rid of players without bringing in replacements is a weakening of the squad, and detrimental to achieving success and trophies. The ambition some posters on here wish for, and their wishes regarding the team is so inconsistent at times.

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
If we can get another scoring attacker as good as Ashavin, I don't mind the team enter the coming season with the same strike force minus Ade.

arsmile

Established Member
i dont think it would be an awful thing to lose ade and not replace him- what we would have left would be plenty good enough- i think ade is worth more to us in money than he is 'usefully productive' on the pitch.

progman07

Established Member
Either not sell him, or if we sell him, we MUST get in a real quality striker (impossible, really, with the prices), or an amazing DM (Yaya Toure, Cana, or any other great) to compensate for the loss of a big name.

Losing Ade would be a mental blow to the players, after a bad season we lose quality, nevermind not strengthening the team... so we must replace him with a similar great player. We saw last season how the lack of confidence kills our game, so we must not make the same mistakes again.

McIntyre

Established Member
lagos said:
address the midfield issues and Ade will score simple as.

Our midfield will obviously be better next season, especially since Fabregas and Theo won't be injured half the time, Nasri has settled in and Arshavin has joined the ranks.

But if Ade suddenly starts scoring goals again it won't necessarily be solely because the midfield is better.

I'm gonna wait and see how he carries himself next season, especially in the big games, but I will NEVER accept that his form this season was predominantly down to the midfield. They might not have been as effective as their predecessors but they did create chances, especially if the strikers were willing to work for them!!! I think his poor form this season had more to do with his attitude and he could've upped his return if he'd been willing to push himself.

If Ade starts scoring goals again next season, it'd be far too easy for people to conclude that as proof the midfield wasn't up to scratch this year.

Let's see how he plays next season and consider such things as his workrate, overrall contribution and, most importantly, how he reacts when the going gets tough, then we can consider how much the midfield was an influence on his game.

KY

Established Member
I'd be perfectly satisfied with the options provided by Sabre. RVP and Eduardo first choice and the rest as present strong enough back ups.

Arsenal Quotes

I've got the best goalkeeper and the best centre half. All I need are the best wingers and the best forward. It doesnt matter what the rest are like.

Herbert Chapman

Latest posts

Top Bottom