• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Xavi vs Iniesta?

fabo

6.51 / 10
Had this discussion hundreds of times but still good to discuss two of the top players in Europe.

For me Xavi is THE number one CM in Europe. Dominates a game like no other player, controls the tempo, rarely rattled under any pressure, disciplined, great range of passing, creative and most importantly he is extremely consistent. He is Barca's most critical player IMO and they lose a foothold on the game without him.

Iniesta for me is an AM who has made a step up to 'world class' level over the last year. Doesn't stamp his mark on games as regularly as Xavi but provides the acceleration from midfield to attack and excels at dribbling. Very highly rated by nearly everyone it seems since the CL final and while I agree second half of last season he was excellent, Xavi was great pretty much most of the season from the Euro 2008 final to the CL final. Even since August this season, Iniesta has done little albeit through injury/sub appearances/finding his form while Xavi, Zlatan and Keita have kept Barca on top.

So who is more important? Better? Who would you rather at Arsenal?

I prefer Xavi. I think quality AM's(like Diego and Gerrard even if roles/positions are different) come around more frequently than CM's of Xavi's class and style of play.

Mark

Established Member
I'd agree with you I think. Iniesta, although brilliant, you could say is a bit of a luxury player, and more easily replaceable with someone like Diego or Kaka. Xavi, however, is so intellegant and important and has some quite rare qualities you could say. But then you could argue players like Alonso and Pirlo can offer what he does and more. I'll say it's just a personal preference.

Rahul

Who is more Important?? - Xavi

Better?? - Xavi

Who i'd want at Arsenal?? - Francesc Soler Fabregas.

Any day of the week,twice on weekends.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Essien is not the best. Not nearly as complete or as effective as Xavi.

Players like Essien and Yaya stand out from the current batch of box to box or DM-type players but when compared with someone like Vieira you see how limited they are.

Del Boy

Established Member
Essien is limited at Chelsea. He doesn't get the license to roam forward and is regularly deployed at RB. In a proper syestem he would be world class.

fabo

6.51 / 10
I still think he's world class but his best traits are his strength and stamina. His passing is not top level IMO. Doesn't control games like the best have over the years.

I would love Essien here certainly.

thegame24

Established Member
Fabregas is the best and will probably win world player of the year, if he starts for spain they will win the world cup.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Playing like he is currently puts Cesc up there. What he lacks that Xavi has is consistency so hopefully he can keep the form up over the season.

True Gooner

Established Member
Xavi.

Having said that, if Fabregas plays like he has thus far he's better than both of them. That's a pretty big 'if' though.

It's amazing that 3 of the best central midfielders in the world play for the same country.

fabo said:
I still think he's world class but his best traits are his strength and stamina. His passing is not top level IMO. Doesn't control games like the best have over the years.

I would love Essien here certainly.

Agreed - the only reason why a lot of Arsenal fans idolise Essien is because we lack that power in midfield since Vieira left. I certainly don't put Essien in the class of Keane and Vieira.

outlaw_member

Established Member
Better yet, all three are from the same youth academy. It just goes to show that a World Class education can produce World Class players. I also agree that Cesc is better than both in his current form but that has rarely ever been doubted, the only question is how long Cesc can maintain that form because without the consistency, he won't be the best.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
I think Xavi is more important to barca as no matter hoe brilliant Iniesta may be I think they could cope better if he was missing rather than Xavi. Xavi always seems too have so much time on the ball - whether he would be as effective in the premierhip who knows? but I can't see why not. I still don't think Cesc is as good as either yet and is still waiting to have 'THAT' season but he will be up there soon.

fabo

6.51 / 10
It's true though.

Unless someone wants to make a list of areas in which Essien trumps Xavi. Xavi has more to his game even if they are very different players.

Captain

Established Member
What exactly do you need a list for?

Xavi is a pass and move player with a decent mix of all-round central midfielder abilities. This kind of midfielder is fashionable in football right now and he is a very good player but hugely overrated.

Essien is a true all rounder in that he excels in every area of the game and also has a physical edge. That is a proper central midfielder, not these guys who need somebody to babysit them in order to run a midfield.

Lampard is better than Xavi too.

Del Boy

Established Member
Captain said:
Lampard is better than Xavi too.
I'm not sure they are comparable. Xavi is a CM and Lampard is an AM. Lampard is great at scoring goals and getting on the end of things, but I'm not sure he could dictate a game or pick a pass like Xavi can. Lampard is badly off form these days as well.

outlaw_member

Established Member
I couldn't disagree more with Lampard and Essien being better than Xavi. Xavi is miles ahead in the most toughest aspect of being a central midfielder, creativity. Lampard and Essien are definitely more rounded than the Spaniard but Xavi like a few others have a rare ability to control a game through their sheer passing ability, something Essien and to a lesser extent, Lampard can only strive to achieve.

kamikaze80

Established Member
essien isn't some sort of brute who only knows how to tackle. he's enormously physically gifted but is also fine technically and tactically.

for me, the best CMs in the world right now are essien, fabregas and xavi, in no particular order.

Arsenal Quotes

I tried to watch the Sp*rs match on television in my hotel yesterday, but I fell asleep.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom