• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

YES! FIFA wants RED card for diving asap

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
FIFA want red card for diving asap and will ask IFAB (International Football Association Board) to consider a rule change. IFAB: members 4 home nations & 4 FIFA members, since 1946 the official guardians of the football rules, they have to agree to every rule change (not changes in interpretation), so basically the home nations have veto power, don't think they'll use it in this case.

BTW (to prevent misunderstanding) this rule change will not be implemented during the WC, but imo this is important enough for Football talk and is reason for a celebration

AFCFan4Ever

Hopefully this goes through, this should've been the rule from the start. If the powers to be are serious about ridding the game of crap like this, a straight red card is the only way to go. Players should get sent off IMO for diving, play acting, inducing the ref into giving out cards to other players, etc. It's about time we put an end to this garbage that is plaguing the game.

Jose_Reyes_2005

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Speaking of rules that need adjusting - anyone else find time wasting just as annoying as diving ? Maybe it's just me, but watching a player pick up the ball after committing an offence, slowly walking 10 yards away before throwing it up 10 feet into the air back to starting place, really does get on my nerve. How is that not interpreted as time wasting ? IIRC at the under 20's championship last year they tried out a rule where a player gets booked if he touches the ball after committing an offence, and it seemed to work perfectly well. The thing with this is that it also limits the amount of 'quick play' goals such as our first against juve at highbury when pires caught juventus off guard with a quick free kick.

Should be about 5 or 6 years till they mention it again i guess.

Fourteen

I don't think this is a good idea, unless it is an obvious dive. I just hope refs don't get red-card-happy. Sometimes, the players are so good at diving, that real fouls comited may seem like dives, and it would be a disgrace if this new rule change would send off innocent players, perhaps this rule should be complimented with bringing instant replays into the game? I'm not one for slowing the game down, but goal line technology should be used at least.

AFCFan4Ever

What's the point??? Oh jeez I don't know, MAYBE TO ELIMINATE IT FROM THE GAME??? Players continue to do it because they know the consequences aren't very stiff, a yellow card at the most. I guarantee you that if you start handing out straight reds for diving and the other crap in the game, a lot of it will be toned down.

jester

Established Member
but players get accused of diving if they hardly get touched. people dont get that sometimes people actually fall over

maxxspeed

Giving red card for diving is a dumb idea, in theory this is a good idea but put into practical use this is nothing short of disaster. What if somebody got foul for real in the box, then that individual his send of for doing nothing wrong.

This is yet another idiotic move by FIFA to improve football. To me a yellow card would do nicely

Thommybhoy

Established Member
If given in the right hands, among with TV "reverse angle" replays that can be show to the ref, OK. But do you really wnat this kind of rule in the hand of someone like Byron Moreno (Italy-South Korea 2002) when he gaved Totti second yellow for his dive, that wasn't, and sent him off. It was also in Golden goal time if I remember correctly.

gooners49

i think diving is an imprtant part of the game, you should see me in sunday league i'm ALWAYS getting freekicks by diving

hesham

Established Member
not sure how good of an idea this is, id be for it if it was used with Videop replay evedince but alot of players could get sent of for not doing any thing.. theres to much of a grey area there.

nazo

Established Member
It's a good thing as it will scare some players to keep their diving for swimming pools, but then again, it depends how a ref is going to count a dive as. Some players might be given red cards unfairly while others will get away with it. Lots of pros, but many other cons.

clockwork orange

What about a new 5th official, who watches the live tv-coverage & is able to alert the ref? Even without videoreplays it's possible in this way to punish clear dives.

Shadow Moses

Established Member
What they really need to do is bring in video evidence for everything. You basically solve all football problems with this. Disallowed goals, offside, diving, etc you name it! It takes less than 5secs to solve these issues in Rugby with the Ref. talking to the other officials. In football, more time is wasted by players surrounding the Ref. A big screen TV that shows the reply wouldn't hurt either. Majority of the stadiums have TVs in place already.

hesham

Established Member
leonardo santiago said:
What about a new 5th official, who watches the live tv-coverage & is able to alert the ref? Even without videoreplays it's possible in this way to punish clear dives.

Thats a good idea there doesnt have to be a fith even it can still be the forth, all he does is argue with the managers anyway.
Wouldnt disrupte play and would minimize errors.

kamikaze80

Established Member
i have mixed feelings about this. right now, a ref can give a yellow for diving if hes reasonably sure that hes seen a diving incident. still, theyre pretty rare.

now if we up the penalty to a red card, refs will be even less inclined to show the card because the consequences are so much more severe. they will have to be absolutely sure that they saw the dive.

then again, from the players standpoint, the red card might have a huge deterrent effect on diving, even if the likelihood of being caught is slim. so it might work after all.

i think if they want to get serious, they should permit retroactive use of video evidence. its pretty obvious when a player falls with zero contact. thats a dive and deserves a red card and the resulting suspension.

as for playacting/making a meal of a challenge, this is much harder to recognise and theres much more room for error, which is why the yellow card is perhaps more appropriate. the deterrent effect will be smaller if the probability of receiving punishment is smaller.

clockwork orange

hesham said:
leonardo santiago said:

Thats a good idea there doesnt have to be a fith even it can still be the forth, all he does is argue with the managers anyway.
Wouldnt disrupte play and would minimize errors.
Yep 4th official could do it as well.

The only reson for not doing it could be biassed tv-coverage (some countries tv-directors prefer not to show unfavourable replays). But there should be ways around that.

Arsenal Quotes

I think this project is going to go BANG

Mikel Arteta after a difficult run of results

Latest posts

Top Bottom