• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Petr Cech: Retiring at the end of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
tbf Szczesny was almost as bad as Cech during his last season at the club.

so maybe the issue is not only the goalkeeper but something deeper. I still think Cech would have performed better in another team.

Yes but he had two full seasons at Roma after that? Did we not watch him play there? He improved massively, he was more than capable of coming here and dislodging Cech. I think either relations between him and the club broke down or we didn't think he could compete against Cech. Either way it was deeply moronic.

Cech is still a good keeper, but that's all he is. He's visibly declining. Going into next season relying solely on him would be criminal, but then we've made criminal decisions before.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

But Szczesny was still young and he had massively improved in his two loan spells.

He was also able to save few penalties, most notably the one he saved in our second leg CL match vs. Udinese.
Cech also saved penalties. Our miserable penalty against record in the league extends beyond Cech. It's abysmal.

We can sit and say Sczesney would be better now but as alluded to by Sczesney Sr coaching seems to an issue. There is no guarantee that Sczesney would be the keeper he is if he didn't move to another team coached in a different way individually and collectively.

It's no coincidence that players who signed for us recently don't seem to be as good as they were at their previous clubs.

Malky

Established Member
Criticize me all you want that this is knee jerk, but Cech, in my opinion, is one of our worst signings in recent years. For all the hype around him, how we'd have a 'leader' and he'd add 'some experience at the back' he's been ****ing dreadful in his time at Arsenal. He was in decline before we signed him, but the rate he's further declined at in his Arsenal career is shocking. He's done at this level.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Criticize me all you want that this is knee jerk, but Cech, in my opinion, is one of our worst signings in recent years. For all the hype around him, how we'd have a 'leader' and he'd add 'some experience at the back' he's been ****ing dreadful in his time at Arsenal. He was in decline before we signed him, but the rate he's further declined at in his Arsenal career is shocking. He's done at this level.
His decline at Chelsea was cushioned somewhat by a much better and more disciplined defensive unit in front of him there.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐

This isn’t knee jerk IMO. I said Cech has been a 3/10 signing. He’s genuinely cost us more points than he’s won us. He makes big mistakes in big games, for someone so experienced at times he looks like a bag of nerves.

At 1-1 yesterday we were forcing the issue and looked the more likely to win. Cech’s monumental ****up steered us well off course. Goals change games whenever they’re scored!

TriniGunner

You can probably look up my posts here when I said that Ospina should be our #1. I'm a keeper coach. I look at keepers every day so I know what to look for in a GK when it comes to their overall command of the goal area. To be honest, Cech has been past it since Mourinho made the brave decision to place Courtois as Chelsea's #1. Most people didn't like it but in retrospect we can all see that it was the right choice. I have nothing against the guy but I knew 100% that after looking at Ospina and him...Ospina should be our starting keeper. Yes, he has things to work on (like every other keeper) but that's what training is for. He's an excellent shot stopper. His positioning is so much better than Cech and most of all he reads the game much better. Wenger made a mistake in placing Ospina on the bench but we all know he won't admit it. At this point, he should restore Ospina's confidence and just go with him for the rest of the season. Trust me folks, I've been saying it for more than a year...Ospina IS the better goalkeeper.

Last edited:

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH
Saw the highlights against and I believe that a top class keeper would have possibly saved Swansea’s first goal too. Arsenal do not owe him his 200th clean sheet.

Malky

Established Member
Pretty telling that fans are wanting Ospina, who is also ****, to be first choice for the rest of the season.
Our goalkeeper options are pure poverty. Priority signing in the summer!

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
His horrible mistakes at Bournemouth and Swansea cost us dearly.
As I watch the table this morning, we could've been level with Spuds on 48 points, only 2 pts away from 4th.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
His horrible mistakes at Bournemouth and Swansea cost us dearly.
As I watch the table this morning, we could've been level with Spuds on 48 points, only 2 pts away from 4th.

He was also woeful away to City, where we need our keeper to standup and be counted. De Bruyne’s shot was savable, and obviously he was never gonna save Aguero’s pen.

Two years on the trot he **** the bed against City away. Need a new keeper ASAP, he’s finished.

pacstud

Cech strugs. Needs replaced.

Ospina is absolutely still worse imo. He is slow and lacks range and struggles with the ball at his feet and can't start up counters for ****.

We don't currently have a better option than Cech, who needs replaced.

At this point, arguably our greatest need.

James Bond

Moderation Consultant

TBF to Cech much of that hype was down to the fact that he was the only signing that summer. The "he is worth 5-10 points a season" narrative is from the view he was the final piece to a puzzle of Arsenal being a contender since Wenger and co decided to leave us short again.

He hasn't set the world alight, but he isn't anywhere near as bad a many make him out to be. We signed a very experienced league keeper to be our starter and have put a shocking defense and midfield in front of him. Cech was never going to superman, but those advocating for Ospina or Szczesny as always being the answer are out here re-writing history and projecting their disappointment with falling for the hype and us wasting our golden chance at the title.

Had Cech been signed with others that summer I honestly dont think he'd be getting judged as harshly throughout his time here.

Reactions: A_G

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Maybe our defense would be more organised with a competent keeper

MkhiMagic

First position I'd upgrade in the summer. We need a GK as bad as Liverpool do. Outside of top 5ish gkers which may be too unrealistic, I'd look to get Schmeichel/Leno/Sommer (Donnarumma/Oblak/Courtois if there is any chance at all would be the dream).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I will sign every contract Arsenal put in front of me without reading it.

Tony Adams
Top Bottom