• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Zlatan thrown out of the Swedish squad

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Zlatan thrown out of the Swedish squad. Zlatan, Chippen Wilhelmsson and Olof Mellberg broke curfew on sunday night, went out after 23.00 to celebrate Mellbergs birthday. The rules stated that players shoulds be on their hotelrooms after 23.00. They went to a pub and came home at 01.00 without drinking any alcohol. The rule was a new one supposedly agreed upon by everyone. LArs LAgerbäck the swedihs manager then held a pressconference saying that they had been sent home.

I know that there aren't many swedes on here only Olofski and Paddy but this could be a general football discussion as I know that many managers set up these kind of rules for players away with the national team. Lippis no sex rule springs to mind.

What I want to discuss is that:
*A harsh penalty?
* Shouldn't these grown men and professinal athletes know what they can do before a game themselves? The next game was agaisnt Lichsteinstein on Wednesday FYI.
* is it disrespectful towards the manager and team mates?

My opinion is that they should be able to do whatever they want aslong as they can still perform when called upon and that their actions doesen't disturb the other players, aka raising hell in the hotel etc.

sabret00the

Established Member
On a sunday night, with the next match being Wednesday and their crime was simply to be up? i think the manager is just trying to prove a point more than anything else.

Bazza19

luckily they won because decisions like this can get you sacked, anyway they're prima donas

dos1986

Established Member
Fair play to Lagerback for putting Ibra,mellberg and willmen in there place especially Ibra who was not missed saw highlights of the game and allback was good

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
sabret00the said:
On a sunday night, with the next match being Wednesday and their crime was simply to be up? i think the manager is just trying to prove a point more than anything else.

My thoughts aswell. I guess the times has changed from the managers being the important ones but now that the players earn more money and get more media attention they feel liek the big-dogs. Btw Fergie doesn't know this (;

gunnerturk

Clubs release them to fullfill their national duty and they still pay their wages for that .The rules are there for a reason.Surely they could take it bit more seriously.

daniel

I think they deserved to be thrown out... If the team is supposed to be in a quarantine, why would any of the player brake that..

The similar thing happened to Croatia squad before our game with the Russians and also three players were thrown out, and just to mention theese were very important players for Cro just as Zlatan and company is to Sweeden.

All in all, i agree witn the manager, i would have done the same thing.

bohemian

yes they broke the rule, but it is a foolish rule. the manager should have used his discretion and not kicked them off. they were celebrating a birthday, they did not drink, and they came in at a reasonable hour, and it was 3 days before the game!
no harm, no foul I say

Mostarac

Established Member
Rules are rules though, every professional team has a quarantine before importnant matches where the team withdraws back to their hotel 2 days before the match. This is a bit arrogant by Ibrahimovic aswell, would like to see him pull this trick on Mancio, he would let him play for the Primavera team temporarily as a fine.

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
Not a Zlatan fan myself, but this is ridiculous punishment (for him and the other guys) for breaking a ridiculous rule. What's is Lagerbäck trying to do? Organizing your team is 1 thing, but a litlle creativity, also in punishment wouldn't harm. This man is so boring, he was better suited for his old job.

sabret00the said:
They'd have a couple training days in between.
Who'd want a couple ****ted players on a Monday mornings training session Mmm?

junialum

I think rules are rules and you want players to adhere to it.

What would the other players think if those guilty were left unpunished?

The manager's orders would be laughable from that time on.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
daniel said:
I think they deserved to be thrown out... If the team is supposed to be in a quarantine, why would any of the player brake that..

The similar thing happened to Croatia squad before our game with the Russians and also three players were thrown out, and just to mention theese were very important players for Cro just as Zlatan and company is to Sweeden.

All in all, i agree witn the manager, i would have done the same thing.

but the croats were out boozing weren't they?

I don't think they would have been thrown out if the next games was vs Spain tbh, Lichtenstein we should be able to beat with our u21 team.

Just the idea of a curfew seems stupid IMO. Doesn't he trust the players enough in the first place? Surely if they were the kinda players who would go out boozing a couple of nights before they don't belong in the squad in the first place! They went out to meet some friends nad maybe had a beer or two, this wouldn't affect their performance anything on WEDNSEDAY!!! I could almost say that this would help them be better to the next game. A little bit of relaxation from being locked up with 22 other dudes all the time

I scored two goals the night after my high school graduation ffs ;)

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
" obviously you don't understand the word professional and what it takes to become one"

this is stated by someone who gave me a thumbs down for my latest post. Why that person didn't want to strike up a debate in the acctual thread is beyond me.

Do you acctually think that being out until a little bit after midnight would affect the players anyhing significant? I am not saying it is okey to be out a getting drunk a couple of days before a game but come on! If it helps them relax then I see no problem.

junialum's argument o nthe other hand is a more valid one. But IMO leadership should come naturally not by force

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
i think this is a harsh one, considering they hadnt drink any alcohol and that is melberg birthday. even rules can be overturned.

daniel

arsenal_hleb said:
i think this is a harsh one, considering they hadnt drink any alcohol and that is melberg birthday. even rules can be overturned.

It might be harsh but, it's really a matter of principal.

The rules are here for a reason, and if they say the players should be quarantined then in no case (well maybe only exeptional ones) should they be bended for any player. That will mean that there's no order in the team.

The manager has to let the people know he has some authority on the team.
Besides, what would happen if every now and then players broke the quarantine and go out boozing and doing whatever. It wouldn't be ok.

Ok, so maybee this time players went out just for a little bit and they didn't drink. But if you let them slide this time, who knows what would happen the next time. They were punnished for an example. Don't think there will be many players who try doing something similar in the near future.

So, it's overall a good thing the manager threw them out. I still stand by the fact that I'd do the same, no matter who the opponent is. Is it Lichenstein or Brazil....

Like I said before. It's a matter of order, authority and above all principal.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
I see were you are saying Daniel, the thing that grinds my gears is that I think it was an uneccesary rule in the first place.

And allegedly this had happende before but jsut because it was Zlatan people noticed him while at the pub and therefor it came to the coach's attention

Arsenal Quotes

At some clubs success is accidental. At Arsenal it is compulsory.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom