• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

FR: Arsenal vs Internazionale | 29/07/07

Tony Montana

Established Member
So fickle. :lol:

When we lose people on here will whinge and whine, that's for sure. It won't be such a happy place.

Remember after the Manure game where we won 2-1?

Tony Montana

Established Member
I went to the game myself with mates.

Twas a good performance from the whole team. Seeing Hleb twine people and make nice passes to team mates from the lower tier is really nice to watch. It will be interesting to see Biggus' reaction in the Hleb thread. The goal from him is really what we need. If Hleb can do that more often and grab ten goals this season I'll be over the moon. I think he can make a lot of assists as well because of the way he plays. A lot of nice through balls and passes finished off by our other forwards e.g the Rosicky goal last season against Liverpool (ok that was a special goal but it's the kind of assist I associate with Hleb).

I still feel the quality of our crossing is poor. Maybe it's because Ade and Bendtner were not present (for most of the game in the case of the latter) but some more traditional crossing would do us wonders. A lot of the time it would roll to the keeper or be kept out easily by Inter defenders. I would like Eboue to cross more in the way of the Henry goals against Manure and Porto. It adds another dimension. And Hoyte shouldn't be afraid to have a shot, neither should Fabregas.

phenn

Flamini showed some bottle today and a lot better positional awareness. His passing is like Bert's in that there's nothing outstanding but he doesn't **** up much. But he's got a hell of an engine and seems to have a knack for making that run to get a shot off. He really had a very nice effort at goal today that was very well struck.

I honestly feel like when we ping it around the ground every pass looks like it's on a slide rule and I feel like I'm watching ice hockey or something. Love it.

Bobo D. Clown

DC Gunner said:
IS anyone troubled by the fact that we conceded again !

I am.

After getting caught out at the near post by Essien at home and Crouch away (a few times) last season and the same thing happening to him against PSG YESTERDAY i'd like to think pre-season or no, Gallas wouldn't get caught out at the near post AGAIN two days running, but he did.

It was a good performance otherwise and was happy to see him a few times read passes and step up and cut them out early like Big Tone and Sol used to but he has a tendancy that i'd put on Senderos level for switching off for a second at crucial times. Luckily he's faster and technically better than Phil, but in games we're dominating but haven't got the lead in yet, like today and most days, those lapses can cost alot of points.

Kenyonhater

Went to both games today. Very impressed with PSG's front six. They really had Valencia on the ropes, especially in the first half. Diane, Arnaud, Ngog and especially Sankhare looked fantastic prospects. I'm sure AW was impressed.

Arsenal were very good, much improved on yesterday, although for a long time they seemed to be showing all of last season's weaknesses.

Hleb was outstanding apart from his usual quota of passes straight to the opposition. I'm loving him in the centre. It's so clearly where he's most comfortable.

Sagna was impressive defensively. Solid, strong, quick enough and dogged. Got forward decently, too and linked well with Eboue, who is a real attacking threat even if his end product varies wildly. He creates fear and panic in the opposition when he runs at them but he seems to lose his head at the last, crucial moment and either flails at a cross or shot or goes down for a free kick.

Flamini was composed and tidy. Gibbs was nowhere near as good as some on here are suggesting but credit to the lad for not being overwhelmed. He was always on the move, short-passed well and harried the defenders but he didn't have the confidence to use his pace to get behind them. He constantly came inside, trying to get involved when he could have offered an Eboue-type threat on the left. Well done to the kid, though.

Traore scares me defensively. He made a couple of excellent tackles but his positioning and risk-taking could be disastrous against more ruthless, aggressive opponents. However, there's something about him that suggests he could develop into an awesome player. His physique, pace and confidence, for a 17-year old, are phenomenal.

RVP. What can you say. Stunning winning goal.

One last thing, the atmosphere in the ground today was fantastic. The sound really reverberated around and there was a defiance about it, as if in reaction to all the negative press. I really hope the season-ticket holders can get off their arses and provide the same atmosphere because it showed today that the place can be a real cauldron. Very exhilirating and powerful. How did it come across on TV?

The difference between the vibe on here today and yesterday is hilarious, by the way.

OneProudGooner

Established Member
So in his press conference he said that Theo can score goals and Rosicky isn't really a goalscorer but creates them. :lol:
Who needs Anelka? :wink:

famous no 10

Established Member
*news flash*

"wave of optimism sweeps through A-M, last witnessed 2 seasons ago.."

The boys looked great today, I am kneejerkingly starting to believe again.

Nutsy

Established Member
Heh.. What else is there? This part of Knee Jerking often comes good. but If Arsène seriously believed that we don't need additions, as he construed "we have enough quality" then we're ****ed. This does not hide the fact parts of our formation is thin.

asajoseph

Established Member
famous no 10 said:
*news flash*

We played a lot better than we did against Salzburg, but, whilst there were more positives today than I've seen all pre-season, there were still problems.

- For the whole first half, it was the same old story of lots of possession, no goal threat. We only really troubled Julio Cesar from long-range efforts, and set pieces. I 45 minutes, we didn't even create a half chance in the box.

- The fact that we started Kieran Gibbs, only continues to hihlight the worrying lack of depth we have on the flanks.

- Apart from Hleb, I don't think our midfield created a single good chance in the box all match.

- Another goal conceded from a cross, and our centre-backs looking incredibly vulnerable to the high-ball still.

Don't want to sound like a downer, because I had a great time today, thought we played fairly well, and enjoyed the match, but there was still obviously a hell of a lot to wor on.

Zico

Established Member
asajoseph said:
We played a lot better than we did against Salzburg, but, whilst there were more positives today than I've seen all pre-season, there were still problems.

- For the whole first half, it was the same old story of lots of possession, no goal threat. We only really troubled Julio Cesar from long-range efforts, and set pieces. I 45 minutes, we didn't even create a half chance in the box.

- The fact that we started Kieran Gibbs, only continues to hihlight the worrying lack of depth we have on the flanks.

- Apart from Hleb, I don't think our midfield created a single good chance in the box all match.

- Another goal conceded from a cross, and our centre-backs looking incredibly vulnerable to the high-ball still.

Don't want to sound like a downer, because I had a great time today, thought we played fairly well, and enjoyed the match, but there was still obviously a hell of a lot to wor on.

Very sober thoughts, Asa. I think something else you didn't mention is that Inter start the season a lot later than Arsenal, so this was their first stab. They had a lot of players missing, only their defense was intact.

I too was particularly concerned about having a 17 year old debutant on the left wing. Only Rosicky and Walcott were missing, and the latter has hardly played on the left wing, so it did expose the paucity of options in that area.

banduan

Established Member
Lets not get carried away. Just like the Salzburg loss did not mean much except for the building of match-fitness, this should not mean that much more either.

Edit: I don't get the concerns for Gibbs playing on the left. If he had shown such an impressive performance, doesn't that show a lot of depth coming from our youth?

sabret00the

Established Member
asajoseph said:
famous no 10 said:
*news flash*

regarding the lack of creativity. we were playing 4-5-1 with Eboue and Gibbs on the wing. Cesc had an off day despite putting in yards and we played with a lone striker. I think it'll be interesting to come back to your comments on Thursday evening.

qs

Established Member
banduan said:
Lets not get carried away. Just like the Salzburg loss did not mean much except for the building of match-fitness, this should not mean that much more either.

Edit: I don't get the concerns for Gibbs playing on the left. If he had shown such an impressive performance, doesn't that show a lot of depth coming from our youth?

The problem is that I don't think any of us believe Wenger will use Gibbs in the league this season. He'll probably feature alot on the Carling Cup.

The problem then is that Gibbs came in yesterday because Rosicky was carrying a knock (for a change). We have no real cover for Rosicky now and he's clearly going to miss enough games this season to warrant the addition of someone whos a bit more ready.

No slight on Gibbs BTW I thought he was great considering his age and lack of experience, he worked his socks off and was never over awed by the occasion or the opposition. He's a real bright prospect and I'm looking forward to seeing more of him.

M+D

Established Member
Eboue + Sagna - Eboue was excellent on the RW, linked up really well with Sagna. Got to the byline quite a few times as well. Promising for the season ahead as a different option for the wing. As for Sagna, he was tireless running up and down in support of Eboue, always there on the overlap. Solid defensively as well.

Kolo/Gallas partnership - Thought it was untroubled tbh by a poor Inter performance. Still not sure they're going to click properly, we'll have to wait and see. This conceding of silly goals in the air is getting more and more frustrating tbh. As for Gallas being captain, I really hope Wenger is just experimenting and will do the right thing and give the armband to Gilberto.

The left side - Clearly nowhere near a first choice pairing of Hoyte and Gibbs, but they were decent. Hoyte didn't make many mistakes, while Gibbs didn't offer as much as he could have defensively, on the ball he looked promising. A bit timid, but to be expected considering it's his first start for the 1st team.

Hleb + Rvp - Thought they did well overrall. They've both got that ability to change games with a spark of magic at any time, but on the other hand they can go missing as well, Hleb far more than Rvp. Hleb still needs to learn to shoot more, and also be more direct, as running at defences with his quick feet he does scare them, yet he doesn't do this enough. Rvp is a constant danger in matches just through his dead ball abilities, and went close several times in the match. His runs off the ball were intelligent too.

The centre midfield - Flamini worked very hard as always, gives is all and doesn't let teams settle. What he lacks in quality, he makes up with work rate enough for him to be a very decent squad player. Fabregas was very smooth in posession, without it he was a bit rash at times, and you can see his temper boiling over a bit at times. Still a quality player though who can pull the strings against any team. Denilson did well when he came on, slots in without any real difference from Fabregas in his style of play, except he lacks at the moment the awareness to make killer balls through defences.

awooga83

Established Member
I think yesterday was clearly a marked improvement over the previous match we looked much better albeit with out looking particularly threatning and it was very much a case of same old story earlier on.

Coupled with the fact Inter have just started their pre season and were without some players and we are quite a bit into ours I am not going to drastically shift my view. We haven't gone from rank outsiders to pretty good shape. I think we still lack, the cutting edge. It was better but this team cannot really break into the top 2 and 3rd will be tough. Hopefully at least one addition still to come.

Rohit

Established Member
Didn't watch either of the games, if i am not wrong the pitch was relaid on Wenger's behest as he thought it was too slow. Was there any significant change in the pace of our passes?

goonerwarsh

Established Member
Rohit said:
Didn't watch either of the games, if i am not wrong the pitch was relaid on Wenger's behest as he thought it was too slow. Was there any significant change in the pace of our passes?

Has it really been relaid? Because I thought the pitch looked a lot faster to last season, and more like the old Highbury pitch. I was there on Saturday and what was all that about in the second half, is the Emirates finally developing an atmosphere?

Arsenal Quotes

If you eat caviar everyday, it's difficult to return to sausages

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom