• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life After Emery Begins

Would you be satisfied with hiring Mikel Arteta?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
@MutableEarth Would you say Freddie has a style of play?
Cant really say. The quality of U23 football doesn't lend itself to a concise assessment of a coaches philosophy but there are some indicators of what we can expect were he at the helm.

The main thing that seems to differ from Emery is the players positioning when we have the ball. There is a lot more connection between the players in attacking situations and I'm quietly and unpleasantly surprised that Emery has not seemed to utilize this quality in a consistently effective manner so far this season considering he actually has Freddie on his team now. Much of the later games last season showed good combinations between Willock, Saka, Olayinka, Osei-Tutu, John-Jules and Amaechi. They not only saw the ball quite a lot but most games they played in saw them receive the ball in dangerous positions more often than not. Freddie made a comment in some article (paraphrasing) saying that he thinks it's important that our attackers always position themselves to receive in areas where they can hurt the opposition, in the final third or otherwise. This has borne out in the development of Willock, Saka, and lately John-Jules.

Also it must be said that Freddie's U23 team were very comfortable playing possession football as a result of the above. It helped that for most of last season we had Ballard, Sheaf and Medley at the back who were very comfortable passing the ball out. In the middle of the season when things got tough, there was a disconnect in the middle - usually when Willock wasnt involved - and it resulted in a lot of longer passes. Burton kinda solved that problem because hes a good passer but marginally. Freddie sought to try and bridge the gap between the players who struggled to adapt to his way of playing and the ones who ran away with the concept. Eventually, once that bridge was formed, the team finished the season in excellent form and finished 2nd in the PL2.

I think the reason Freddie has been a success with the younger players is because of those 2 details - possession and position. He recognizes that these players thrive when they are given the blueprint to control games - something Emery currently doesn't do. I can recall few games where we were in complete control. Freddie is very far from a sure thing in this regard because as many point out, u23 football is very different from PL football but from what I've seen, he is at least closer to the ideal in terms of trying to use possession with the current players we have and his work in improving a sizable chunk of our young talents is at the very least highly encouraging.

Manberg

Predator
I’m uneasy with signing legends such as Freddie or Vieira because the risk of failure is high. We hold them in such high regard I’d hate to see either of them fail and have their reputations dampened significantly amongst Gooners.

With Arteta it’s less of a risk because although he did well as a player, he’s not at the legend status as Freddie and Paddy. There’s not much to lose if Arteta is given a chance here.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I’m uneasy with signing legends such as Freddie or Vieira because the risk of failure is high. We hold them in such high regard I’d hate to see either of them fail and have their reputations dampened significantly amongst Gooners.

With Arteta it’s less of a risk because although he did well as a player, he’s not at the legend status as Freddie and Paddy. There’s not much to lose if Arteta is given a chance here.
Vieira seems to be paying his dues and getting good returns at the moment. Apparently Nice had really good offensive numbers last season. I'm gonna be keeping a close eye on them this season.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
Vieira seems to be paying his dues and getting good returns at the moment. Apparently Nice had really good offensive numbers last season. I'm gonna be keeping a close eye on them this season.
Not sure if I’d consider 30 goals good offensive numbers tbh. The only teams Nice managed to outscore was Guingamp and Caen, the two worst teams in the league.

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

Player:Martinelli
The problem with signing legends is that people only want them cause they played for us.

Which is a **** reason to pick a manager.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
The problem with signing legends is that people only want them cause they played for us.

The reason is also that they cant be questioned and can demand more

They been there done that when we were at our best

Wtf is Arteta in that context?

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
Idk, they look worse than what Favre managed to achieve at Nice the year before if we go by understat stats.
Defensively they were sound. 2nd best in the league. They've been more attack minded this season. 10 goals in 6 games so far.

Ewarwoowar

Freddie has to be the easiest, safest bet, seems like he could well be being groomed for it in the near future a la Arteta at City.

Ideally you would want Emery to mute the murmurs from the masses by displaying better technical nous and a little ruthlessness in his decision making to improve us as a spectacle to prolong his role as interim so we are not rushed into anything rash which in turn put us in a tailspin of uncertainties.

We(Arsenal) are not some mega rich mans toy, we don't have mega money on tap, we are a global product, run like a business, still trying to expand more globally to bring in revenue to reinvest in the team on and off the pitch in order to keep up with the big boys.

Our current success(albeit slightly tarnished), where we are on the world map, a quite sizeable imprint that is, if all is to be believed is mostly down to Wenger. There are very few clubs in the world that have projected themselves as high as we have without some offensively rich sugar daddy or shady government aid.

My point is this(at last I hear you think) I'm pretty sure that if we had remained boring, boring Arsenal we would not be where we are today, competing as high, we would not be much of a global brand at all, ergo much less exposure, much less revenue, much less of an ethos to draw the best players, mid-table at best.

With our business model we walk a fairly finely balanced tightrope we are heavily reliant on a far and wide fan base and dare I say it fickle is the order of the day, it's solely a numbers game for us, we have to be an attractive product and not just a fancy adidas wrapper that has little content that melts in the heat of the match day.

If Emery does not step it up he will be in danger of last season looking like he profited at the beginning from what little quality that was left from the Wenger era. Now he has seemingly deconstructed all things Wenger he should be searing in a new brand pretty fricking quickly and not leave us feel like we have had a rug pulled out from us.

Anyhoot I'm all for giving him time, but if fans turn off in droves, if players market value fall off a cliff, because they're being badly coached/managed or wanting out or refusing to extend. if much improvement is not made this side of January window then something has to give. I wouldn't want that, but business is business, it would probably be better to install Freddie as interim for the rest of the season, feel him out, see if he's ready, if not he takes a back seat, to fight another day we install someone else we go again.

If Freddie though I would prefer it not to be forced but a natural, organized succession.

In Emery I hope

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I think if you’re seriously considering Freddie or Vieira it’s unfair not to throw Sol in the mix as well.

Guy’s done it at a much tougher level. Still think the mods should put both him and Wilder on the list.

A lot of those guys up there are even unlikelier.

GDeep™

League is very weak

Like who? Nobody wanted Henry. People want Vieira because he has actual managerial experience. Ljunberg because he is already in the club, I don’t want him though.

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

Player:Martinelli
Like who? Nobody wanted Henry. People want Vieira because he has actual managerial experience. Ljunberg because he is already in the club, I don’t want him though.
Some people wanted Henry. People also want Arteta. No one would've wanted arteta if he finished his career at everton and then became a manager.

Also, noone would''ve wanted viera if he didn't play for us.

Imagine it was Carragher having managed one season.

Last edited:

GDeep™

League is very weak
I think if you’re seriously considering Freddie or Vieira it’s unfair not to throw Sol in the mix as well.

Guy’s done it at a much tougher level. Still think the mods should put both him and Wilder on the list.

A lot of those guys up there are even unlikelier.

Sol, like Bielsa and maybe Rodgers, is abit quirky for a club like Arsenal.

With Wilder you question his profile, might be a good manager but does he have the weight and aura needed to manage one of the biggest clubs in Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I often relive those 49 undefeated matches. I do believe in signs to a certain extent, and as I was born in 1949, I sometimes tell myself it was our destiny to lose the 50th. Those 49 matches are etched within me and within each player: it is something fundamental, a triumph born out of passion.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom