• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
It was a game packed with central midfielders of note, from the lesser-spotted Fred, to a rare sighting of Mesut Özil in a major Premier League game, flushed out from his gilded nook on the Arsenal bench like a pedigree chinchilla lured into the light by a piece of cheese on a string.”

:lol::lol::lol:

ptrcopp

We just carry a lot more about us when he plays. Only a decent performance individually from him, but he just helps the team so much.

He wasn't the star man today but was an outlet, kept the ball and was involved in some good offensive passes. I was concerned when he went off as I thought he along with Xhaka made us cohesive but Suarez and Iwobi did their bit. He has to play on Thursday before we have some time off.

I think you’re both on the mark here. While he didn’t play well, there was a noticeable difference in how effectively we transitioned when he went off. He didn’t have a great game, but he clearly brings some much to the team

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Wasn't great but wasn't pointless like in the Europa game. Good thing was he was involved on and off the ball despite not having a significant impact.

Lets hope he builds on it.

Oh_Snap

It was a game packed with central midfielders of note, from the lesser-spotted Fred, to a rare sighting of Mesut Özil in a major Premier League game, flushed out from his gilded nook on the Arsenal bench like a pedigree chinchilla lured into the light by a piece of cheese on a string.”

reading this in david attenborough voice helps

pikey2000

The formation helps him, playing behind two strikers with 3 CB's and 2 CM's behind him allows him enough to freedom to do as he likes, he was able to link up with the strikers and wing backs nicely and was quietly effective.

I'm not sure why we haven't seen this formation more this season, rotating Rambo and Özil behind the front two dependent on whether you want goals or guile.

Still don't see a long term future for him here, but whilst he is here we may as well play to his strengths, if we can fit him in using that formation against a on form UTD side then I don't see why we can't use the same formation/personel for the rest of the season with a little rotation.

TakeChillPill

Established Member

Where is this quote from?

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I'm not sure why we haven't seen this formation more this season, rotating Rambo and Özil behind the front two dependent on whether you want goals or guile.
I watched the game with a mate who is not exactly a tactical genius but he spotted this and mentioned it immediately.
Weird how opposition teams can't seem to pick Mesut up in this formation. He covers a lot of ground and pops up in pockets when they least expect him. Disappears for a little only to do the same in another area of the pitch. As you say, 'quietly effective'. Loved it!

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
always wanted to see him play deeper. Wenger pushed him forward but hopefully Unai keeps pulling him back like Utd game (not all of it).
his touch, vision and efficiency are gold to have when building an attack. his creativity comes to life more there. if we are countered, by playing him a bit deeper it allows him to be more active on defensive end. dont need to do Gsttuso there, but this way he'll at least be there, instead of watching it from CF position...

there was one counter Özil started against Utd. from deep position. Before he entered Utds half he passed the ball to his left and continued with his run. I swear to god, in those 3 seconds he left 3 utd midfielders eating dust, I thought it was Fifa for a moment and some kind of a bug...
he has that, pace and superb IQ, really think he could find his feet more playing deeper (but still surrounded by two more defensive minded central players)

OSBK

Established Member
always wanted to see him play deeper. Wenger pushed him forward but hopefully Unai keeps pulling him back like Utd game (not all of it).
his touch, vision and efficiency are gold to have when building an attack. his creativity comes to life more there. if we are countered, by playing him a bit deeper it allows him to be more active on defensive end. dont need to do Gsttuso there, but this way he'll at least be there, instead of watching it from CF position...

there was one counter Özil started against Utd. from deep position. Before he entered Utds half he passed the ball to his left and continued with his run. I swear to god, in those 3 seconds he left 3 utd midfielders eating dust, I thought it was Fifa for a moment and some kind of a bug...
he has that, pace and superb IQ, really think he could find his feet more playing deeper (but still surrounded by two more defensive minded central players)

The form santi is in would love to see those 2 link up again, sure maybe not against united.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Yeah we’ve actually got a higher win % when Özil has been dropped. Very difficult to make an objective argument against the way that Emery has handled him. Agendas gotta agend though.
Think this might be a different story since the new year/coming out of that Dec-Jan slide.

My rough count since January 1 (and I may have ****ed it up) has:

7 games without Özil (4 wins, 3 losses)
8 games with him (5 wins, 1 draw, 2 loss).

One of the losses with Özil was the Man U FA cup game where he didnt come on until the 65th minute.

Some should back check that though as I've done it very roughly/quickly using Arsenal.com.

L 12-08 City
L 18-08 Chelsea *subbed off at D
W 25-09 West Ham *didn't play
W 02-09 Cardiff
W 15-09 Newcastle
W 20-09 Vorskla
W 23-09 Everton
W 26-09 Brentford *didn't play
W 29-09 Watford
W 04-10 Qarabag
W 07-10 Fulham *didn't play
W 22-10 Leicester
W 25-10 Sporting *didn't play
D 28-10 Palace *subbed off at W
W 31-10 Blackpool *didn't play
D 03-11 Liverpool
D 08-11 Sporting *didn't play
D 11-11 Wolves *subbed off at losing L
W 25-11 Bournemouth *didn't play
W 29-11 Vorskla *didn't play
W 02-12 Sp**s *didn't play
D 05-12 United *didn't play
W 08-12 Huddersfield *didn't play
W 13-12 Qarabag
L 16-12 Southampton *Subbed on at D
L 19-12 Tottenham *didn't play
W 22-12 Burnley
D 26-12 Brighton *Subbed off at D
L 29-12 Liverpool *didn't play
W 01-01 Fulham *didn't play
W 05-01 Blackpool *didn't play
L 12-01 West Ham *didn't play
W 19-01 Chelsea *didn't play
L 25-01 United *subbed on at L
W 29-01 Cardiff
L 03-02 City *didn't play
W 09-02 Huddersfield *didn't play
L 14-02 Bate *didn't play
W 21-02 Bate
W 24-02 Southampton *subbed on at W
W 27-02 Bournemouth
D 02-03 Sp**s *subbed on at W
L 07-03 Rennes
W 10-03 United

With Mesut on the pitch 24 games:
W 58%
D 21%
L 21%

Without Mesut on the pitch 20 games:
W 65%
D 10%
L 25%

Special mentions:
Chelsea L, went off at D
Palace D, went off at W
Wolves D, went off at L
Southampton L, came on at D
United L, came on at L
Sp**s D, came on at W

Conclusion: It's all pretty close. Yes, we get slightly better results without Mesut this season.

Looks like we get worse result wise when we sub him off, shouldn't do that. shouldn't sub him on either because that doesn't seem to help.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
L 12-08 City
W 02-09 Cardiff
W 15-09 Newcastle
W 20-09 Vorskla
W 23-09 Everton
W 29-09 Watford
W 04-10 Qarabag
W 22-10 Leicester
D 03-11 Liverpool
W 13-12 Qarabag
W 22-12 Burnley
W 29-01 Cardiff
W 21-02 Bate
W 27-02 Bournemouth
L 07-03 Rennes
W 10-03 United

W 58%
D 21%
L 21%

W 65%
D 10%
L 25%

Special mentions:
Chelsea L, went off at D
Palace D, went off at W
Wolves D, went off at L
United L, came on at L
Sp**s D, came on at W

Conclusion: It's all pretty close. Yes, we get slightly better results without Mesut this season.

Looks like we get worse result wise when we sub him off, shouldn't do that. shouldn't sub him on either because that doesn't seem to help.

it's not that easy in a 11 vs 11 sport

samshere

Why so serieuse?

Even the refs couldn't believe his pace, they flagged him offside

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle

A pedigree chinchilla.... I need to rethink my life. This is inspiring stuff. Whoever than man is, I need to meet him.

blaze_of_glory

L 12-08 City
W 02-09 Cardiff
W 15-09 Newcastle
W 20-09 Vorskla
W 23-09 Everton
W 29-09 Watford
W 04-10 Qarabag
W 22-10 Leicester
D 03-11 Liverpool
W 13-12 Qarabag
W 22-12 Burnley
W 29-01 Cardiff
W 21-02 Bate
W 27-02 Bournemouth
L 07-03 Rennes
W 10-03 United

W 58%
D 21%
L 21%

W 65%
D 10%
L 25%

Special mentions:
Chelsea L, went off at D
Palace D, went off at W
Wolves D, went off at L
United L, came on at L
Sp**s D, came on at W

So overall have a higher win and loss % without Özil playing this season than when he's involved. But win % is probably more important since draws are barely better than losses.
And since 2019 began we've had a slightly higher win % with him involved (I think..?) as we've come out of the Dec-Jan slump to where we are now.

say yes

forum master baiter
L 12-08 City
W 02-09 Cardiff
W 15-09 Newcastle
W 20-09 Vorskla
W 23-09 Everton
W 29-09 Watford
W 04-10 Qarabag
W 22-10 Leicester
D 03-11 Liverpool
W 13-12 Qarabag
W 22-12 Burnley
W 29-01 Cardiff
W 21-02 Bate
W 27-02 Bournemouth
L 07-03 Rennes
W 10-03 United

W 58%
D 21%
L 21%

W 65%
D 10%
L 25%

Special mentions:
Chelsea L, went off at D
Palace D, went off at W
Wolves D, went off at L
United L, came on at L
Sp**s D, came on at W

Good stuff. It’s a simplistic analysis but, as I’ve said - the idea that Emery has cost the team by not playing Özil this season is not at all supported by the evidence.

If starting Özil every game was a surefire way to success then we wouldn’t have needed to replace Wenger. Emery has no favourites and I think we’re much better for it.

Hope

Less
Wasn't great but wasn't pointless like in the Europa game. Good thing was he was involved on and off the ball despite not having a significant impact.

Lets hope he builds on it.
You mean Rennes game?

He was good in that game. Our finishing was the problem and Iwobi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I don’t look at the passport of people; I look at their quality and their attitude.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom