• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mohamed Elneny: What is he good 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
When we bought Xhaka we found arguably the closest thing to Xabi Alonso possible and we shouldn't forget that.

Xabi Alonso is a brilliant player who basically plays DM without actually "defending." They guy was never a stats leader on tackles or aerial dominance, and he never looked like he was "defending." He also wasn't known for attacking either, yet it was obvious that the team was better when he was on the field.

He excelled with his range of passing and intelligence, and this is what we have with Xhaka. Right now Wenger is building up his EPL intelligence.

Additionally, Xabi Alonso has always developed strong midfield partnerships: Mascherano at Liverpool, Busquets with Spain, and Modric at Real Madrid.

Xhaka right now is learning the nuance of many partnerships at Arsenal since it is unlikely that we will have a set midfield two. He's young and in a new league, so it can take a handful of months to figure everything out.

Xhaka can have 9 tackles in a match without "defending" because that is how he plays. He played well this weekend, and I'm confident that he will continue to improve this season.

say yes

forum master baiter
@say yes

As much as pace isn't a necessity for a midfielder, if you've only got two in there and both are slow, you're always treading a fine line. Both have zero recovery pace and either can't tackle or don't get near enough to tackle. It offers nothing in a combative or defensive aspect. Add to that the lack of goals from all three midfielders, and it puts too much pressure on attack and defence. Then you think of how aggressive both our CBs can be, and it gets even worse. For those reasons, I think it'll pose problems. I know it's just the one game, but It didnt look up to much on Saturday for me.

Wouldn't agree that Elneny is slow (or maybe I've just completely missed that), and I think it's clear that Xhaka can tackle.

What would be your preferred midfield combo?

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
The pace of the double pivot shouldn't be a big deal given we have two CBs with recovery pace, are quick with/without the ball. Elneny is pretty quick in his head and can play at a high fluid tempo. He does have good running patterns to have enough recovery pace imo.

Xhaka is a defensive midfielder btw in terms of positioning-European football style- but also a controlling midfielder. Having both Xhaka-Elneny is a great platform for players behind and ahead of them.

I don't understand personally what the point is of a player that dives into tackles like snapping at opposing team's ankles for show on TV. Its pointless and rather have players on their feet in every move. We have to reach a place where attacking, defending and transitioning is collectively tied together and in sync. Like an orchestra. That is obviously my personal POV.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Wouldn't agree that Elneny is slow (or maybe I've just completely missed that), and I think it's clear that Xhaka can tackle.

What would be your preferred midfield combo?
There are so many that are yet to properly tested that it's hard to say. In theory and in practice, so far, Caz and Coq are and have been the best partnership. I like playing with a proper DMF so it has to be Coq plus another. We've not shown that any other partnership without Coq can be trusted to be disciplined under Wenger. Another reason why I want him to retire.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
With the way we play, having Xhaka as our deepest midfielder makes perfect sense.

Still itching to see that Xhaka-Ramsey partnership. I think it has a bit of everything.

Last edited:

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
With the way we play, having Xhaka as our deepest midfield makes perfect sense.

Still itching to see that Xhaka-Ramsey partnership. I think it has a bit of everything.
Yep, also play close to the cbs so that Kos, Xhaka and Mustafi make the team play with most of the team facing forward or ready to turn when a pass finds them. Ramsey could work but he is not technically up to Arsenal level like rest of the team and he runs backwards to our goal under pressure basically killing any momentum. Small things add up to big things etc etc.

Rocky

Swears he's not a Tottenham fan
Another man down...

The injury record at Arsenal is unacceptable and they need a root and branch investigation with a major focus on their pre-season preparations.

N

NotAUserName

A few pages back and most were saying he should be our starting midfielder with Santi out.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

We've not shown that any other partnership without Coq can be trusted to be disciplined under Wenger
Wenger is a massive problem. You can tell Coq is the antithesis to a Wenger midfielder but Arsène is almost forced to play him because he knows his midfields are poor when it comes to the defensive side of the game.

He could simply spend one summer drilling his midfield to defend as a unit but I guess that would be too outlandish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

We played with a bit of a handbrake

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom