• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Our next 5 games...

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
We weren’t this well funded compared to our rivals ever bro in my memory. Yes early Wenger we bought some expensive players like Overmars and Henry. But even then we were way behind United.

We have had two windows more broadly where we spent more than anyone else in Europe for that window. I can’t remember a single window where we were the biggest spenders in Europe under Wenger. Always the big Italian clubs or two Spanish giants had bigger purse strings. Remember the super team Inter created with Baggio and Ronaldo? None of the Italian clubs can pull one transfer like that now.

The point I was making is that we were basically the second-best-funded team in the country in the late 90s in terms of our ability to spend on individual players, United were way ahead and no one said anything about them buying Rio for £30m in 2001 which was a mental fee back then, equivalent to £100m+ now, or Rooney who went for £25m+ in 2004.

Nowadays we spend less than United, Chelsea, City and at points Liverpool. Our spending is also on par or not that far ahead of the likes of Sp**s and Villa. To say we're comparatively better funded than at any point in our history is simply wrong and you don't even have to go that far in the past to see it.

I wasn't talking about European teams btw, but if you want to expand to Europe then yes we are probably comparatively better funded than the majority of top European teams compared to the 90s given the huge increase in PL revenue relative to other leagues.

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
The point I was making is that we were basically the second-best-funded team in the country in the late 90s, United were way ahead and no one said anything about them buying Rio for £30m in 2001 which was a mental fee back then, equivalent to £100m+ now, or Rooney who went for £25m+ in 2004.

Nowadays we spend less than United, Chelsea, City and at points Liverpool. Our spending is also on par or not that far ahead of the likes of Sp**s and Villa. To say we're comparatively better funded than at any point in our history is simply wrong and you don't even have to go that far in the past to see it.
We spent more than City and Lfc if you look transfers in recent windows, we are behind United and Chelsea who burned the money thankfully. Villa and Sp**s are not comparable. And more importantly we have consistently spent with a single management. It is fine as long as we don’t get in FFP trouble I don’t care not my money. But the pay out has to happen. Literally every other big club other than Real is down, even this City team would get pumped for 3 or 4 goals by Centurions of a few seasons ago. The continental powers are all down post covid. So if we want to do big things in league or CL there never has been a better opportunity.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

We spent more than City and Lfc if you look transfers in recent windows, we are behind United and Chelsea who burned the money thankfully. Villa and Sp**s are not comparable. And more importantly we have consistently spent with a single management. It is fine as long as we don’t get in FFP trouble I don’t care not my money. But the pay out has to happen. Literally every other big club other than Real is down, even this City team would get pumped for 3 or 4 goals by Centurions of a few seasons ago. The continental powers are all down post covid. So if we want to do big things in league or CL there never has been a better opportunity.

Those teams had title winning squads, of course they didn't need to carry on spending, but if you look at the cycle of a squad (perhaps 7-10 years, De Bruyne joined in 2015, Salah joined in 2017 etc.) then they absolutely have spent comparable money to us, despite having a better starting squad 10 years ago.

You don't have to fund a De Bruyne/Salah/whoever replacement if he's in your squad do you? We didn't have players of this quality in the quantity that those squads did, and this is ignoring the fact that players would more readily join the champions over 8th placed team. etc.

HattoriHanzo

Those teams had title winning squads, of course they didn't need to carry on spending, but if you look at the cycle of a squad (perhaps 7-10 years, De Bruyne joined in 2015, Salah joined in 2017 etc.) then they absolutely have spent comparable money to us, despite having a better starting squad 10 years ago.

You don't have to fund a De Bruyne/Salah/whoever replacement if he's in your squad do you? We didn't have players of this quality in the quantity that those squads did, and this is ignoring the fact that players would more readily join the champions over 8th placed team. etc.
We can compare our squad from 2020 with Liverpool or City squad from same period.
Liverpool won CL in 2019. and EPL in 2020., so they already had title winning squad.
City won EPL in 2018. and 2019., also title winning squad.

We played against Liverpool 15th of July 2020.
This is our squad:
Martinez-Holding, Luiz, Tierney-Saka, Torreira, Xhaka, Soares-Pepe, Lacazette, Nelson

Liverpool squad that day:
Alisson-Robertson, Gomez, VVD, TAA-Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Oxlade-Chamberlain - Mane, Firmino, Salah

FA Cup Semi Final against City 18th of July 2020.
Our squad:
Martinez-Mustafi, Luiz, Tierney-AMN, Ceballos, Xhaka, Bellerin-Auba, Lacazette, Pepe
Subs were Willock, Torreira, Kolasinac, Holding
City squad:
Ederson-Mendy, Laporte, Garcia, Walker-Gundogan, KDB, D. Silva - Sterling, Jesus, Mahrez
Subs were Foden, Fernandinho, Rodri

Now who needed to upgrade more to compete with other two teams?
And therefore who needed to spend more money?

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Come on man 😅

*Not sure if you're being genuine or just having a laugh 🤔
We have 10 games in 1 month. I believe lack of squad depth will bite us in the ass. Despite a game every 3 days I don’t see nketiah, Nelson, vieira or esr starting any games. So the 13-14 players we will use will be overwhelmed

HattoriHanzo

Top of the league in March and probably third favourites for the CL, its not guaranteed but its by no means impossible either. Compare that to 3 years ago when we were sh!t and not even in the CL.
Definitely not.
How can we be third favourite and the only team (out of remaining 8) who hasn't played CL 6 seasons?
The other 7 plays CL every season.
We're not favourites against Bayern, let alone City and Real.

Nunowoolmez

Established Member
We have 10 games in 1 month. I believe lack of squad depth will bite us in the ass. Despite a game every 3 days I don’t see nketiah, Nelson, vieira or esr starting any games. So the 13-14 players we will use will be overwhelmed
Try to be a bit more positive mate.

HattoriHanzo

So we will pass Bayern and qualify to CL semi.
Finally some positivity from you.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Definitely not.
How can we be third favourite and the only team (out of remaining 8) who hasn't played CL 6 seasons?
The other 7 plays CL every season.
We're not favourites against Bayern, let alone City and Real.

Other than City and Real, no other team is better than us. Bayern are second in a clown league to a team that limped past Qarabag in Europa. None of the teams are trash but I'd favour us against most. We're second favourite with a lot of bookies behind City... I think 3rd favourites is fairly accurate in all honesty. And yes, we're definitely marginal favourites vs Bayern.

Skybet

1711453316422.png

Pinnacle

1711453411430.png

Bet 365

1711453706387.png

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Other than City and Real, no other team is better than us. Bayern are second in a clown league to a team that limped past Qarabag in Europa. None of the teams are trash but I'd favour us against most. We're second favourite with a lot of bookies behind City... I think 3rd favourites is fairly accurate in all honesty. And yes, we're definitely marginal favourites vs Bayern.

Skybet

View attachment 22686

Pinnacle

View attachment 22687

Bet 365

View attachment 22688
We are the least experienced team left in the competition and needed penalties to get past Porto. This is UK bet makers. There is no way Arsenal is better teams like psg, Bayern or real. We were also favourites for Europa league last season. Our history in Europe is really poor

HattoriHanzo

Skybet

View attachment 22686

Pinnacle

View attachment 22687

Bet 365

View attachment 22688
I don't care what bookies say.
I see that they see Arsenal as 2nd favourite, which I find a bit hilarious.
Don't belittle other leagues, like these bookies you posted do.

Remind me, what were predictions before matches against Porto?
And what happened?
Was it easy for us?

HattoriHanzo

We are the least experienced team left in the competition and needed penalties to get past Porto. This is UK bet makers. There is no way Arsenal is better teams like psg, Bayern or real. We were also favourites for Europa league last season. Our history in Europe is really poor
Finally I agree with you about something.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

If you think the bookies/exchanges have the wrong price on the teams below Arsenal, go make yourselves some free money.
If you think Arsenal will make the semis. Go bet on them. You are in for a shock if you think the team that went life and death with porto will beat Bayern

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

If you think Arsenal will make the semis. Go bet on them. You are in for a shock if you think the team that went life and death with porto will beat Bayern

Unlike you, I think they probably have the price right so there's no edge for me...but you! You and @HattoriHanzo think the exchanges and bookies are idiots for having Arsenal as 2nd favourites, so there's easy money!

Go to Betfair and put a lay bet on Arsenal, the price is nice and low just for you :thumbsup: I'll even link you if you want, don't want you missing out on free money.

HattoriHanzo

I never bet, so thanks, but no.
Of course we can go to semis, but I don't see Arsenal as favourites against Bayern.
For me 55/45 for Bayern.

Tnegs

The same Bayern that is trailing Leverkusen with Xhaka in it by 10 points? They are on course to finish second in a 1 horse league we have every chance of beating them. They are a good side but so are we.

Arsenal Quotes

I play on the right, Tony on the left and we'll deal with whoever comes along, big or small

Martin Keown
Top Bottom