• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Francis Coquelin: No Longer Needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Which one? The Dier 2nd yellow?

Giroud should have gone down, he fights through the foul and even manages to get a pass off.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-29546-1401719810-19.gif

Malky

Established Member
Said it in the summer (Wishlist and old Coquelin thread) that an upgrade should be brought in. Ridiculous the stick I got for suggesting that, people were making out like Coquelin was an invaluable player to us :lol: He's good at what he does, but it doesn't make him a good fit for our team, it restricts us. He would make a good rotation option, or could play alongside a new DLP type when we're protecting a lead for the last 20mins, but as a starter? No.
Looking at midfielders we keep being linked to you get the impression that Coq isn't Wengers long term DM either, Rabiot, Xhaka, Saul and even Samper - all the Busquets mold, DLP, can do the defensive work but are comfortable in possession and can pick passes and play out from the back.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Said it in the summer (Wishlist and old Coquelin thread) that an upgrade should be brought in. Ridiculous the stick I got for suggesting that, people were making out like Coquelin was an invaluable player to us :lol: He's good at what he does, but it doesn't make him a good fit for our team, it restricts us. He would make a good rotation option, or could play alongside a new DLP type when we're protecting a lead for the last 20mins, but as a starter? No.
Looking at midfielders we keep being linked to you get the impression that Coq isn't Wengers long term DM either, Rabiot, Xhaka, Saul and even Samper - all the Busquets mold, DLP, can do the defensive work but are comfortable in possession and can pick passes and play out from the back.

Said it in the Summer also. I think the way modern football is becoming, particularly where defensive strategies are concerned, a holding midfielder who is accomplished technically and press resistant is vital. If we want to be an elite team, then Coquelin either has to round his game out, or we have to sign someone who can do pretty much what Coq does defensively and is much more of a complement to our attack. You play with 11 players on the field, so it doesn't make sense to have a passenger when you attack or defend. They all have to be doing something in both phases of play.

For all the talk about N'Golo Kante, Danny Drinkwater has done an excellent job in midfield for Leicester City. His ability to win the ball back, recycle possession and his passing range is really quite impressive. Kante's energy beside him is almost a booster for him too.

I'm not saying we should sign Drinkwater. But a player who does what he does is important. Cazorla isn't a holder either, he plays there because Coq can't do what Cazorla does. Ideally, we need a player with elements of both of them. The players you mentioned have important traits:

- Rabiot is a good dribbler and passer, so he's quite press resistant and good tactically. Has filled in for Verratti well when injured. It helps that he's also a pretty big guy.

- Xhaka is a very good technician with an excellent passing range and great strength that he uses to win the ball.

- Saul is another great passer, has a good engine and is usually in the right place.

Even in terms of our academy, we need to be developing midfielders who are capable of defending as well as building play from deep. I watched the Youth Cup QF on Friday and saw an excellent midfield display from Ismael Bennacer and Marcus McGuane - both showed great capability in winning the ball back and initiating attacks from deep, either by great dribbling or passing. Some of Bennacer's tackling and passing was very impressive. They aren't ready for 1st team football, but their play showed that this is what we need in midfield if we are to progress as a team.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
coq is with the form he showed last year was easily head and shoulders above any other defensive midfielder in the league.

The question Do we want to play an out and out DM? because in Wengers days we never have, Petit PV4 both CM...Gilberto a More defensivem minded CM same goes for flamini.

The difference is (aside from Flamini) is that all those players were physically solid and technically excellent.

Now with Coq he's technically average but defensively excellent...but combine that with Ramesy's averageness in all aspects of being a CM (defensive, techincally, short passing, long passing, composure etc.)...makes Coq look must worse than he is.

When it was him and santi, it was simple find Santi and trust him to keep the ball make the right pass...you dont have the with Ramesy.

I expect the Coq, Elneny partnership to flourish...because Elneny in terms of his quick passing and ability be composed uner pressure is going to make a big difference in complimenting Coqs game and limitations.

Last edited:

Gooner n Proud

a.k.a. nasri_8 and Voice of Flamini
Some of you underestimate Coquelin.

As well as being a highly competent 'defensive' midfielder he still has the technical ability to fit well wothin our system and passing game. His dribbling, pass accuracy, close control and range of passes are all amongst his best attributes.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Which one? The Dier 2nd yellow?

Giroud should have gone down, he fights through the foul and even manages to get a pass off.
Giroud didn't help himself, just another example of Arsenal lacking in the 'dark arts'. Any other club and Giroud would be doing backflips.

It was still a clear foul though and that idiot Oliver was staring straight at it.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Said it in the Summer also. I think the way modern football is becoming, particularly where defensive strategies are concerned, a holding midfielder who is accomplished technically and press resistant is vital. If we want to be an elite team, then Coquelin either has to round his game out, or we have to sign someone who can do pretty much what Coq does defensively and is much more of a complement to our attack. You play with 11 players on the field, so it doesn't make sense to have a passenger when you attack or defend. They all have to be doing something in both phases of play.

For all the talk about N'Golo Kante, Danny Drinkwater has done an excellent job in midfield for Leicester City. His ability to win the ball back, recycle possession and his passing range is really quite impressive. Kante's energy beside him is almost a booster for him too.

I'm not saying we should sign Drinkwater. But a player who does what he does is important. Cazorla isn't a holder either, he plays there because Coq can't do what Cazorla does. Ideally, we need a player with elements of both of them. The players you mentioned have important traits:

- Rabiot is a good dribbler and passer, so he's quite press resistant and good tactically. Has filled in for Verratti well when injured. It helps that he's also a pretty big guy.

- Xhaka is a very good technician with an excellent passing range and great strength that he uses to win the ball.

- Saul is another great passer, has a good engine and is usually in the right place.

Even in terms of our academy, we need to be developing midfielders who are capable of defending as well as building play from deep. I watched the Youth Cup QF on Friday and saw an excellent midfield display from Ismael Bennacer and Marcus McGuane - both showed great capability in winning the ball back and initiating attacks from deep, either by great dribbling or passing. Some of Bennacer's tackling and passing was very impressive. They aren't ready for 1st team football, but their play showed that this is what we need in midfield if we are to progress as a team.
Agree with this post so much it hurts.

If you mention it now people will accuse you of knee-jerking but I basically said the same thing last season, it's a shame the search function doesn't work.

Cazorla and Coquelin were doing the job of one player which essentially puts us a man down in difficult games.

Reactions: BBF

Goon-Ger

We were pretty much in control of the game until Le Coq's moment of madness. He has saved us in many occasions and even though it was a massive game and the league is now all but over I won't hold it against him.

I have seen more people grumbling about him since his return from injury which I don't really get. When he's in the team we look a hell of a lot better off that's for sure.

Goon-Ger

coq is with the form he showed last year was easily head and shoulders above any other defensive midfielder in the league.

The question Do we want to play an out and out DM? because in Wengers days we never have, Petit PV4 both CM...Gilberto a More defensivem minded CM same goes for flamini.

The difference is (aside from Flamini) is that all those players were physically solid and technically excellent.

Now with Coq he's technically average but defensively average...but combine that with Ramesy's averageness in all aspects of being a CM (defensive, techincally, short passing, long passing, composure etc.)...makes Coq look must worse than he is.

When it was him and santi, it was simple find Santi and trust him to keep the ball make the right pass...you dont have the with Ramesy.

I expect the Coq, Elneny partnership to flourish...because Elneny in terms of his quick passing and ability be composed uner pressure is going to make a big difference in complimenting Coqs game and limitations.

Come on man. I feel there is plenty on here that go completely over the top with Coq's "lack" of technical ability but to say he is not a good defensive player is madness.

It's all about opinions but I just don't get that at all.

Last edited:

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
Flamini, his replacement, is also well capable of these moments of madness, all coupled with the downside that having him on the pitch or not doesn't make a difference.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I haven't seen much of Xhaka but the reason Saul is such a must buy imo is that he is incredibly unique as a player.

He's as accomplished in the final 3rd as he is in the middle of the pitch, has great first touch and passing range with a high IQ. But also he has the height and physical attributes to play in a two man midfield as opposed to say a Verratti.

He's like a cross between Koke and Oliver, would be stupid to pass him up.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Was it my imagination weren't we linked with Drinkwater over the summer ? :lol:

Been saying for 5 years we need a technically accomplished holder actually ever since I laid eyes on Busquets :lol:. What I realised about the press though you basically need 10 guys with a good first touch to be press resistant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Don’t be scared to be ambitious. It’s not a humiliation to have a high target and to fail. For me, the real humiliation is to have a target and not to give everything to reach it.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom