• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Álvaro Morata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prawn Sandwich

Icardi over Morata for me from the linked Italian-based strikers so far. Boy has reasonable figures and still has loads of time to grow!

We're going to create umpteen chances, so anyne with a bit of movement in the box and decent technique will have a field day.

Continuing the Serie A theme: Higuain guarantees you goals for a massive fee. Gives a two year window to push us on if Wenger decides to be as ruthless as Ferguson with JVP and go out with a Premier League Title.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

That wasn't in his first two seasons.

Try 2 in 23 and 9 in 34.

He wasn't first choice, most of his appearances were as a sub.

When he started regularly he was smashing them in. Morata's had two years at that.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
He wasn't first choice, most of his appearances were as a sub.

When he started regularly he was smashing them in. Morata's had two years at that.

He's not a definite starter.

Started most of their CL games but in the league has been rotated.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Morata isn't a bad finisher by any means; it's the system he plays in that limits his goal count.

Juventus most often plays with 2 strikers up front, and Morata's role is more in support of the team's progression than to score loads of goals. He drops deep very often to carry the ball forward with his dribbles, and then finds passes. It becomes more of a Welbeck-like situation with him, where his lack of goals has largely to do with the limited shots he actually takes, though here the reason seems to be because he isn't meant to (not because of bad positioning). Those chances he has, he often does well with. His physique gives him the ability to score many types of goals as well, which he does (ie headers, tap-ins, long shots). He has potential to be a great lone-striker, and encompasses many of the qualities to be one. In addition to creating his own chances, the support being to him instead of being him might transform him into a strong goalscorer. He hasn't been given that chance, which is why he hasn't gotten there yet.

Taxi Driver

I'm all for taking a gamble when it comes to strikers; we simply don't have a choice. But Morata would probably be a very expensive gamble, wouldn't he?

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Still though, it's a huge risk?

I would put him as less of a risk than someone like Icardi or Sturridge who are probably higher on wish lists, Morata actually seems to thrive on being a lone striker.

Even so, I can’t see any top strikers on the market that don’t have an element of risk to them. Just have to take it and hope it pays off in a big way like it has for Napoli and Dortmund.

musicmonkey

Established Member
Don't think he'll be moving this window regardless, his contract is filled with clauses so that Madrid more or less control the transfer.
  • He can't be sold by Juve until after June 2017 or they have to pay Real 80m euros.
  • Madrid have first option and can buy back for 30m.
We'd have to go through Madrid who would buy him back, never heard of transfer that's been pulled off like this.

Anyway his goal record this season is rubbish, if we take minutes rather than appearances he's still done worse than Giroud in an arguably worse league.

Giroud: 52 appearances, 21 goals, 2729 minutes, ~130 mins per goal.

Morata: 45 appearances, 11 goals, 1967 minutes, ~180 mins per goal.

I'd pass, not good enough, pain in the backside to buy logistically and way overpriced. If you want anyone from Serie A look at Higuain or Dybala imo.

nicky47

Established Member
If something is to happen regarding Morata, I reckon it'll happen early... One to keep an eye on this. I've seen so many quotes from Juve on how un-sure they are of what will happen with Morata, even he has said the same!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I was receiving offers from many other clubs and declining them all, even the most tempting ones. Juventus, Real Madrid, PSG contacted me, Bayern, France, England...I am happy to have been able to say no to more glory, more money, and to have been guided only by the idea of loyally serving the club. I had knitted myself a soul in Red and White.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom