• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alexis Sanchez: Off to the Old Toilet

Status
Not open for further replies.

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
Mahrez, though again its one step forward and one back.
Yeah, Mahrez comes to mind but that. Alexis is superb in all phases of the game though. Would be a huge miss for his mentality as well. We'd need more than Mahrez if improving is something that concerns us.

Axel_Gunner

kopzilla

Always Negative
Getting a bit annoyed with Alexis' attitude if I'm honest. Yeah great he wants to win, but sulking all the time is just stupid.

Reminiscent of Fabregas sulking throughout his last season with us. How can we forget RVP showing frustration when Arshavin was substituted for Ox in RVP's last season.It's clear that the cracks developed well before both left the club. I fear that we are seeing the same thing here.

Both were unhappy because of the fact that our success was very much dependent on the performance of both players. Wenger himself claimed that finishing 4th is like winning a trophy. However, our squad is very much improved now but we still lack a strong killer instinct and winning mentality.

btw when do Sanchez's & Özil's contract end?

sammy89

I see what your saying but I would argue there's a much bigger gulf in ambition between Alexis and the rest of the squad than what you suggest. It shines through on the pitch every week.

If almost feels unnatural to have such a hard worker in the squad, because of the culture we've developed at this club. But for us to truly move forward as a club, I believe we need to focus much more on hard work, discipline, all those things Alexis embodies.

Just look at the last few years. Leicester winning the league. Chelsea now. Liverpool. Even Sp**s. All these teams are benefiting greatly from a high intensity, high energy approach.

For me, Alexis embodies exactly where we need to be heading as a club. 10x more important than Özil imho.

100% agree. The contrast between Alexis and Özil should serve as a huge wake up call to the club. Top tier aggression + average technique is a much better combination than top tier technique and average aggression. This realisation was the key to Ferguson's success. Shame Wenger can't get rid of his technique-above-everything approach to hiring. We need to get a manager in who can turn that around.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Wenger says they've both said they want to stay, it seems like wages are the biggest stumbling block at the moment despite many wanting the stumbling block to be us drawing with Bournemouth so they have more ammo against Wenger.

AVENTUS

I'm very worried about Alexis in particular his a winner and I reckon his feeling we're not at that level yet.

He may leave.

Personally I think him and Özil are both waiting to see if Wenger signs another deal they want him out if you ask my opinion and a new established and recognised manager bought in.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Wenger says they've both said they want to stay, it seems like wages are the biggest stumbling block at the moment despite many wanting the stumbling block to be us drawing with Bournemouth so they have more ammo against Wenger.
Tbf, I think a lot of people were worried about Alexis' reaction again at the final whistle. Has Wenger got anything to do with the draw? Well of course he has, he's the manager. Thus, it all ties in, whether you're Wenger in or out.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Getting a bollocking from someone for shooting when that person does worse from even stupider positions is something to get pissed about.

It's not about being above reproach, it's knowing that creative players try things they shouldn't and when you start pulling them up for taking a shot of all things then you're doing it wrong. Sanchez had taken 1 shot from outside the box the entire game, 3rd one blazing over the bar fair enough have a go, but 1 shot you encourage and move on.

You can't apply such a rigid policy in real life with real people.

If I'm playing in digs league with a stinking hangover but I'm open in miles of space, if our best player doesn't pick me out I'm going f*cking mental first shot or not.

Yes he's capable of the fantastic, but if there's a better option in the form of a teammate go to him. Only go for the impossible if you have little other choice.

BBF

Very interesting when you think about it.

We complain about lack of passion, heart, balls etc. We get a player that exemplifies these qualities perhaps more that anyone else in the WORLD, but then we complain about him showing those exact qualities.

Exactly.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Anyone else think he's a little annoyed to not be playing as a CF anymore because of Giroud?

BBF

Maybe he should be less selfish, but when you have a frontline that's immobile, and forwards that can't control a football properly then you'd be reluctant to pass too.

Johnny_Blaze

Established Member
100% agree. The contrast between Alexis and Özil should serve as a huge wake up call to the club. Top tier aggression + average technique is a much better combination than top tier technique and average aggression. This realisation was the key to Ferguson's success. Shame Wenger can't get rid of his technique-above-everything approach to hiring. We need to get a manager in who can turn that around.

When have these average-technique, terrier-like teams won anything? Real Madrid, Farca and Bayern are the most recent winners of the CL and Germany won the World Cup. None of those had a player like Sanchez - one of those actually dumped him.

What you've described is Pochettinto's Tottenham rather than an actual good football team.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
100% agree. The contrast between Alexis and Özil should serve as a huge wake up call to the club. Top tier aggression + average technique is a much better combination than top tier technique and average aggression.
I kind of get what you're saying, but I don't think you're doing Alexis any justice there though. There's nothing 'average' about any aspect of his game. I know what you mean though. I think others do too tbh. ;)

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
I kind of get what you're saying, but I don't think you're doing Alexis any justice there though. There's nothing 'average' about any aspect of his game. I know what you mean though. I think others do too tbh. ;)
About to say the same. I know what he's getting at, but Sanchez has so much quality. Technically he's on another level to everyone we have bar Özil - his dribbling, shooting and passing are top level.

Johnny_Blaze

Established Member
My take on him so far this season: Sanchez's movement as a CF isn't good enough, his runs aren't particularly great and he finds himself out of position (either too deep or too wide) too often. When teams defend deep, he doesn't offer much in the middle. I think Wenger has also sussed that and Giroud will be playing more often from here on.

Most of his goals as CF have come from running up the score against dross like Sunderland, Bournemouth, West Ham and Hull (10 out of 15 of his entire tally have come against those teams). Apart from Chelsea, he hasn't scored in a tough match against a rival (like Sp**s, Liverpool, Man City and Man Utd) and - on top of that - he was pretty poor and/or ineffective in those games. Not a raging success as a CF, but a good go, and I'm still desperate for a real striker in the summer.

Anybody who thinks his performances have been in any way comparable or talismanic as Henry in 06 or Van Persie in 11/12, then they're smoking strong stuff, and I hold them in the same esteem as a fat Doctor Who fangirl squeeing at the sight of Matt Smith in tweed. Van Persie was scoring in pretty much all the big games with a far worse team, for example.

Now, Sanchez has been by far our best player, but that's an indictment for the rest of the shower of **** that have blown another season. Him and Mustafi are the only ones I'd give higher than 5/10 so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

It’s not impossible to go through a season unbeaten and I can’t see why it’s shocking to say that.

Arsène Wenger, 2 years before the Invincibles completed the unbeaten league season

Latest posts

Top Bottom