• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life after Wenger | Ornstein: Arsenal set to appoint Unai Emery

Do you think Emery will get the club back on an upwards trajectory?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
I like Manicini, he certainly wouldn't be the worst. We wouldn't be as thick as arseholes under him, I don't think.
I think Mancini is a good manager and a winner but his record in Europe is worse than Wenger. He hasn't shown much in terms of temperament either or does any developmental work in terms of young players or playing style. I really don't fancy him tbh.

say yes

forum master baiter
Sampaoli was the guy I wanted last summer, he would probably encourage Sanchez to sign as well.

Half the other names being mooted in this thread are trash though. Not sure the likes of Tuchel/Allegri are an upgrade on Wenger, and they're some of the better ones being mentioned.

FinnGooner

Established Member
I'm struggling to look at our recent transfers and pick out a player he signed that was a typical out of nowhere Wenger gem. Koscielny is probably the last one. There's been plenty of terrible buys since then.

Our track record is very good compared to the likes of Liverpool, Sp**s, ManU and even Chelsea and City

Name one signing Wenger has made that is even close to the level of flopping as the likes of Soldado, Markovic, Depay, Schneiderlin, Fellaini, Paulinho, Janssen, Falcao, Torres (to Chelsea) and numerous others.

Sure, Wenger has had his misses but those have generally been cheapish high risk high reward signings. Every time Wenger has splashed the cash for real, the signings have been top notch.

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
I think Mancini is a good manager and a winner but his record in Europe is worse than Wenger. He hasn't shown much in terms of temperament either or does any developmental work in terms of young players or playing style. I really don't fancy him tbh.
One step at a time. We're not going to go from this to suddenly being in CL finals and things. Improve domestically and then think about Europe.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Sampaoli was the guy I wanted last summer, he would probably encourage Sanchez to sign as well.

Half the other names being mooted in this thread are trash though. Not sure the likes of Tuchel/Allegri are an upgrade on Wenger, and they're some of the better ones being mentioned.
If Allegri isn't a considered a good option, then who is?? He's proven himself by doing well at both smaller and bigger Italian clubs, and has a respectable record in Europe. I can't think of many better managers out there, because in the end, all of them will have something people don't like. Either they're too defensive-minded, or they haven't proven themselves at a big club, or they don't promote youth enough, or they spend too much, or they haven't been around long enough, or they've always had it easy, yada yada yada.

Allegri ticks plenty enough boxes to be worth a shot.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Anyone's an upgrade on Wenger at this point.

4R5Emaniac

I think first of all, the club needs to decide on targets regarding all the footballing stuff like one or two different plans for the next 3 to 5 years. Where do we want to be as a football team over the next 3 to 5 seasons? Title winner and a regular challenger from the go or start a project with a new manager with the view to win titles. Including our progression in Europe. Do we want to be a challenger in Europe through the years or want to build a CL winning team by the end of the project.

After deciding on it, we should profile the manager accordingly along with other requirements and list the coaches we would like to take on the projects.

Obviously, we revisit the plans with the new manager after him having assessed the squad and decide which is the best plan and stick with it.

4R5Emaniac

One step at a time. We're not going to go from this to suddenly being in CL finals and things. Improve domestically and then think about Europe.
Yeah, I get that but improving domestically means the team can progress in Europe at the same time.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I have to admit. I quite like Eddie Howe. Made mostly Championship standard players look like a decent midtable PL side capable of attacking football.

Isn't it one of those where the heart says yes, but the rational mind says no? I think the board would view that as too risky. Most likely they'll go for an established manager.

Aevi

Hale End FC
I can think of reasons not to go for all managers, it's too easy to look down on them for some odd reason....

Mourinho: Spends too much, defensive style
Klopp: Confidence-merchant, plays in a style that is very difficult to maintain throughout a season.
Pep: Has always had it easy, stubborn with having tactics his way instead of accommodating players.
Simeone: Very defensive style, doesn't dominate enough games.
Enrique: Carried by top players.
Zidane: Not been around long enough, possibly carried by top players.
Emery: Been poor at PSG, hasn't proved himself at top level.
Ancelloti: Too vanilla in style, used to be Chelsea manager.
Pochettino: Not done the business at the top level, never won a big trophy.
Jardim: Hasn't won anything major, not proven at top level.
Conte: Pre-Chelsea wasn't proven in other leagues, not really done it in Europe.
Tuchel: Arguably underperforming at Dortmund, not proven at top level.
Howe: Not proven at top level, not been around long.

My point is basically that there is no certain upgrade on Wenger because no manager is perfect, but we have to evaluate our options anyways. Allegri is a fine manager who has definitely deserved a crack at a top team such as Arsenal, we can't really turn our noses on him. He's surely one of the top options there are, he's a very safe bet.

The Gooner

I think anyone who is bringing up Diego Simeone has never seen Atletico play. They play the dirtiest brand of football in Europe. Time wasting from the first minute, parking the bus every weekend and resorting to all sorts of underhand tactics to get the advantage.

Appointing him will mean throwing all our footballing principles down the drain. We accuse Chelsea and Jose of parking the bus, but then we'll be just as bad as them. Diego Simeone is a proper scoundrel and the only reason people appreciate him is because he competes against Madrid and Barca and gives them a hard time.

He was found guilty of making the ball boy throw an extra ball on the pitch to stop the opponents counter attack. Would you be happy if we too stated resorting to that sort of stuff at the Emirates? That sort of thug football is everything that we at Arsenal are against. It's also not surprising that premier league's worst behaved player flourished so much under Simeone!

Also, it's not like Atletico are not guilty of splashing cash in the Transfer window. Everyone just likes to pretend they are the poor Robinhood competing against the rich. It looks that way from the outside just because Madrid and Barcelona are extremely wealthy. Atletico will be moving to a new stadium soon.

Allegri, Sampaoli and Löw are the type of managers we should be after. Guys who make their teams play football and not just employ thuggish tactics.

Thanks

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
Out of the names mentioned I like Allegri best. Mainly because guys like Sampaoli and Tuchel, while doing very well, are untested at a big club like Arsenal. Don't want us near ****ing Benitez or Mancini. I'd love Simeone but couldn't see us getting a hold of him.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

I think anyone who is bringing up Diego Simeone has never seen Atletico play. They play the dirtiest brand of football in Europe. Time wasting from the first minute, parking the bus every weekend and resorting to all sorts of underhand tactics to get the advantage.

Appointing him will mean throwing all our footballing principles down the drain. We accuse Chelsea and Jose of parking the bus, but then we'll be just as bad as them. Diego Simeone is a proper scoundrel and the only reason people appreciate him is because he competes against Madrid and Barca and gives them a hard time.

He was found guilty of making the ball boy throw an extra ball on the pitch to stop the opponents counter attack. Would you be happy if we too stated resorting to that sort of stuff at the Emirates? That sort of thug football is everything that we at Arsenal are against. It's also not surprising that premier league's worst behaved player flourished so much under Simeone!

Also, it's not like Atletico are not guilty of splashing cash in the Transfer window. Everyone just likes to pretend they are the poor Robinhood competing against the rich. It looks that way from the outside just because Madrid and Barcelona are extremely wealthy. Atletico will be moving to a new stadium soon.

Allegri, Sampaoli and Löw are the type of managers we should be after. Guys who make their teams play football and not just employ thuggish tactics.

Thanks

Sounds like you haven't seen Atleti if you think they play boring football.

NEWMAN123

Thanks
All I'm getting from this is Simeone is a born winner and will do anything to win. Sign him up!! We've been pussies for too long and maybe the change in attitude will improve this club.

The Gooner

All I'm getting from this is Simeone is a born winner and will do anything to win. Sign him up!! We've been pussies for too long and maybe the change in attitude will improve this club.
That's precisely where the problem lies. I agree with you that we desperately need a change in our club's pathetic lack luster and soft attitude, but that does not mean we have to resort to a despicable cheat who's willing to do anything to win, even if it means resort to underhanded tactics (1998 WC anyone?). That's something which goes against the principles of our great club and I don't want us to win by employing those thuggish tactics!

There are many managers out there (as I have mentioned in that post you quoted) who are capable of winning and instilling a better attitude without having to resort to all the dirty tricks that Simeone does.

Last edited:

Hunter Zolomon

I always said, I'll accept him stepping aside for a better man, Allegri is that.

Some of you wanted him to step aside for whoever, that doesn't work with me.
i would take any of the managers that routinely win titles and finish above him in the league, dont pretend like you wenger in guys are actually reasonable people not just wenger apologist and fanboys.

Hunter Zolomon

Moyes was such a bad choice, it was comical. I'm praying we don't fall for the same trap. We need an established manager with domestic and European pedigree to come in and take over from Arsène, and most definitely a sports director.
after seeing moyes take over, you realise how bang average that man utd squad was. Makes you wonder that maybe just maybe, the quality of the manager is more important to the squad than the cost of the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

A fan and a supporter behaves in different ways and what we have experienced in the last two games is pretty unique and is related to our history

Mikel Arteta

Latest posts

Top Bottom