• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène Wenger: Same Old Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gooner n Proud

a.k.a. nasri_8 and Voice of Flamini
Wenger thinks he is so clever to play players out of position, sure, it worked for Henry, but really Mr Wenger, stop ****ing with the players.

He sometimes does this to improve aspects of a players game, like when he put Ramsey out wide years ago to help him move & make better decisions in tighter spaces.

Henry, Petit, Lauren, Ljunberg, Toure, Nasri, Rosicky are just a few of many players that Wenger improved by playing them in a position different to their primary one.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
Wenger's big money signings/transfer record the last few years have been questionable at best.. Jury is still out on Mkhi and Auba, but the rest haven't been what you'd hope for.

Really miss athleticism/physicality in the spine of our team, yet it doesn't look like Wenger is going to address that at all.

Dj_sds

No it means that your hypothetical situation is absolute bogus and doesn't venture anywhere near the realm of reality.

Well in my opinion squad cost is just as black and white as my hypothetical scenario. For example, a 30 million player flops in team A, gets sold to team B for 20 million and plays at a much higher standard at team B than team A. He cost team B 20 million but his value in the team is much higher than that. I saw someone on this forum mention squad value, that is a much better indicator of a teams performance throughout a season. Although much harder to measure than squad cost. The problem i have with squad cost, is that teams have been challenging other teams with much higher squad costs year afther year but this is just disregarded and called an exception.

goonerwarsh

Established Member
Wenger's big money signings/transfer record the last few years have been questionable at best.. Jury is still out on Mkhi and Auba, but the rest haven't been what you'd hope for.

Really miss athleticism/physicality in the spine of our team, yet it doesn't look like Wenger is going to address that at all.

You could literally rinse and repeat that line every single day since Patrick Vieira packed a bag to Italy. How many years ago was that now? He still hasn’t addressed it.

Keown said we lack a hunger to defend. Wenger mocked that line, saying Kane is the best striker in the world, of course ignoring the umpteen other chances they missed and our disgusting goals conceded record.

You can accuse the likes of Keown and Adams of many things, but what they don’t know about defending isn’t worth knowing. Same for Rio Ferdinand. They all keep repeating the same thing. We’re soft and don’t like defending.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
You can accuse the likes of Keown and Adams of many things, but what they don’t know about defending isn’t worth knowing. Same for Rio Ferdinand. They all keep repeating the same thing. We’re soft and don’t like defending.
Keown said something fascinating a while ago, about the time he was doing his coaching badges at Arsenal. He said that he noticed one of the defenders making the same mistake in multiple games, so he asked Wenger if he could sit down with the player and go over some video clips with him to show him how to improve. Wenger said no and told Keown that if you show/tell a player their mistakes, they'll start thinking about it on the pitch and it'll make them more nervous.

Small anecdote but it provides an interesting insight into Wenger's coaching philosophy.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
You could literally rinse and repeat that line every single day since Patrick Vieira packed a bag to Italy. How many years ago was that now? He still hasn’t addressed it.

Keown said we lack a hunger to defend. Wenger mocked that line, saying Kane is the best striker in the world, of course ignoring the umpteen other chances they missed and our disgusting goals conceded record.

Look at the spine of the team today: Cech, Mustafi, Koscielny, Xhaka, Elneny.. So lightweight and it isn't even good enough technically to compensate.. Cazorla is an elite technical player, so he could compensate for the lack of athleticism, these lot can't..

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Keown said something fascinating a while ago, about the time he was doing his coaching badges at Arsenal. He said that he noticed one of the defenders making the same mistake in multiple games, so he asked Wenger if he could sit down with the player and go over some video clips with him to show him how to improve. Wenger said no and told Keown that if you show/tell a player their mistakes, they'll start thinking about it on the pitch and it'll make them more nervous.

Small anecdote but it provides an interesting insight into Wenger's coaching philosophy.
Well maybe some players don't care sometimes they need to be telling that you have to stop

Godwin1

Very well-known

Utd were 3 points off 4th at this stage. A bit different....
Aside from how we do in the league I can't see us doing well in the EL with our away form. Luck of the draw is a factor of course, but wouldn't fancy is going away to one of the harder teams and getting a result.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
About Wenger well he failing to improve our away form we been to shocking and it's becoming down to him and coaching stuff.

Preacher

Always Crying
If Wenger would be coach in NBA, he would be called tank commander.

Surely this is his last season. Club can't be that naive....

Crocrodile

I 've written about Wenger enough, no need to beat a dead horse.

Since you 've been talking about defending, 3 simple things.

1. Arsenal really don 't like to defend.
2. Arsenal don't know how to defend, both physically and tactically.
3. Arsenal don 't have players who play defense in a subtle way.

We don't really like to attack or press either.
What we really like is regurgitating possesion.

One new coaching staff, please.

Longy

I think most are just tired of repeating themselves......

Nothing will ever change no matter who you buy while he is here.

What players in the last 10-12 years has he improved ???
I'm really finding it hard to think of one......

Dj_sds

Only thing he's improved is his salary.

Can't f king wait until he leaves. Gone past caring about where the club finish or what they do in the league, they don't so why should fans put up with this?

Same, i just dont care anymore. No more emotional rollercoasters, i just watch and wait for the inevitable mistake.

And can you really blame the players for being apathetic? The goal is always top 4, reach top 4 by the skin of their teeth, no ambition shown in the summer, get humiliated in the round of 16, and repeat.

Last edited:

goonerwarsh

Established Member
To be quite honest, I'm not sure really what anyone is that scared about with Wenger leaving.

Other than relegation, which really would take an even bigger **** up of epic proportions what is left to really hang onto? We've dropped way behind the other teams we're competing against, we play consistent terrible football, concede lots of goals and a lot of the time look laboured and uninspired. We have a terrible work ethic and we're badly prepared for the vast majority of matches. Each season is getting progressively worse, we’ve sleep walked out way through this one - we’ve barely mustered an effort for the most part. We even finish below Sp**s these days.

I don't care about qualifying for the Champions League. In normal circumstances I would, but how can you care about a competition we had no real genuine desire to compete in. We were, in the end; qualifying because of the financial gain we were awarded for entering - not for the glory of winning it. So I don't care if we finish 4th, 6th or 16th. It makes no difference, if you're not competing to win, then the rest is nothing. This is elite level sport. It makes me sick watching Sp**s play football these days. How aggressive and purposeful they are with and without the ball. Mkhitaryan said this week the difference between Wenger and Mourinho is Wenger is friendlier, Mourinho makes you work hard.

If what we see on the pitch is a result of what is going on behind the scenes in training, then these players are not working hard enough for the hugely inflated wages they're earning. We are the very definition of a fairweather football team, when everything is just right and the planets align, when surrounded by our creature comforts and the other team let us play our game we can produce our nice little sideways football and passing game. But we very rarely win the right to play our football, we hate the ugly side of the game. We hate it, we don't respect it and it keeps coming back to bite us on the a**e time and time again. Even all the panelists on the TV are bored of talking about it because we're all watching the same faults play out every other week.

So all this talk of 'being careful what you wish for'...I'm sorry I'm not buying it. What exactly are we holding onto other than being a boring, characterless and sterile football club?

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
He sometimes does this to improve aspects of a players game, like when he put Ramsey out wide years ago to help him move & make better decisions in tighter spaces.

Henry, Petit, Lauren, Ljunberg, Toure, Nasri, Rosicky are just a few of many players that Wenger improved by playing them in a position different to their primary one.

Do you really believe this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

If you don't believe you can do it then you have no chance at all.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom