• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life after Wenger | Ornstein: Arsenal set to appoint Unai Emery

Do you think Emery will get the club back on an upwards trajectory?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

IslingtonBornandbred

Pep had one year of coaching before taking the Barca job.

For the millionth time, Pep had one year with Barca B as the manager, where he was in charge of the team, team-talks and taking them up and down the country to games in the Tercera division. He also was coaching in Mexico the previous year whilst he was still playing. Pep's the exception.

You have to remember, Pep and Zidane stepped into two teams that were at a certain level and had a certain legendary status at both clubs, but more importantly they just needed to sprinkle some salt and pepper on the michelin star standard fillet of steak. The job at Arsenal is a whole different kettle of fish. The squad needs revamping and strengthening, the defence needs a lot of work, the central midfield needs a lot of work, you are going to have players wanting to leave because Wenger's gone....it's a real tipping point and it's not the sort of job you'd hand over to a coach with not one game of managerial experience.

HBL

Established Member
Guardiola took over a Barca side that finished third in La Liga on 67 points, 18 points behind Madrid. Think everyone is underestimating the job Pep had to do at Barca. He didn’t take over the perfect squad like everyone assumes and he offloaded big names like Ronaldinho and Deco.

carlito'sway

Established Member
For the millionth time, Pep had one year with Barca B as the manager, where he was in charge of the team, team-talks and taking them up and down the country to games in the Tercera division. He also was coaching in Mexico the previous year whilst he was still playing. Pep's the exception.

You have to remember, Pep and Zidane stepped into two teams that were at a certain level and had a certain legendary status at both clubs, but more importantly they just needed to sprinkle some salt and pepper on the michelin star standard fillet of steak. The job at Arsenal is a whole different kettle of fish. The squad needs revamping and strengthening, the defence needs a lot of work, the central midfield needs a lot of work, you are going to have players wanting to leave because Wenger's gone....it's a real tipping point and it's not the sort of job you'd hand over to a coach with not one game of managerial experience.

You made some excellent points and I agree there is a lot to be done. Having said that, I can't see a top manager like Allegri (as much I think he would be a great choice) leaving a dominant team like Juve to come to Arsenal & start a rebuilding project with a meagre budget of 50 M (compared to the Manchester clubs, CFC or even Pool) and (probably) not playing in CL.
Simeone and Jardim are out of the picture, they don't speak a word of english. The rest of the "old"names are not that enticing (Ancelotti, Enrique, Benitez etc). Let's be realistic, we are not going to compete next for the PL with that current squad and a limited budget, whoever the manager is. Allegri is great but not a magician!
That is why I would support Arteta. He knows the club, is well respected, has a great football mind and has done, by all accounts, a great job at City under Pep. I would rather go with that risky but bold appointment at this stage and start the rebuilding project.
So if Allegri is not an option, I would go the other A route.

Pat Rice

Self-Proclaimed Nice Guy
Hypothetically, if the 3 musketeers were keen on a young manager - who's the forums preference?

- Arteta
- Nagelsmann
- Tedesco
- Howe
- Vieira

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Hypothetically, if the 3 musketeers were keen on a young manager - who's the forums preference?

- Arteta
- Nagelsmann
- Tedesco
- Howe
- Vieira
Vieira for me... Liked how he worked in multiple roles at City + along side Marwood. Separation from the team but an icon for the fans a great mix as well.

Then Howe & Arteta.

Not really a fan of appointing 30/31/32 year olds as manager in a foreign league with no link to the club. Just seems unnecessarily risky.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me

Spot on, and this is why I'm against Arteta as Arsenal manager, he could probably take over from Pep this summer and still win the PL next season with City but as you said, we are at a tipping point. I feel we need an experienced manager who has already built teams and had a certain level of success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I didnt score as many as I hoped, but it was nice that I always scored against Tottenham

Charlie Nicholas
Top Bottom