• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: Time to Shine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Hope he starts against Burnley and Huddersfield at least, should be games more suited to him.

Wenger will keep starting him imo ironically because he didn't do well . Thought his passing and linking were decent , only when he felt obliged to dribble did he stuff up . Different level trying to take on EPL players.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Wenger will keep starting him imo ironically because he didn't do well . Thought his passing and linking were decent , only when he felt obliged to dribble did he stuff up . Different level trying to take on EPL players.
Yeah.

I actually remember his first games for the U18/u19 and he was similarly reluctant to take people on and opted to pass more. Once he got a bit bigger and more physically adapted is when he started to dominate at U23 level.

StefanB

He just needs to be eased into it. He looked far more ready during preseason. Now he's out of form and hasn't been featuring much for neither the first team nor the U23's.

Gamefaced

He's not ready yet. When I see him his decision making hasn't been great. He needs to learn that the full backs he faces in the PL are smarter than the youth ones he's faced. Needs to time his tricks and runs a bit better when trying to face up the defender because at the moment they're defending against him easily.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Sancho is playing against Bundesliga fodder. Nelson was playing away at Man Utd in a B team.

It’s not only yesterday though. He has shown a reluctance to take on the defender in most of the games he has played this season. Early on in the season I wanted to see him play because I had the impression he’d be a tricky wide player with pace but most of his performances have seen him cut inside and pass it into midfield.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
He was doing that stuff in pre-season. What the **** happened?

Doesn't look ready to make the step up to the 1st team yet, he's not able to take his natural game from youth football to senior.. Preseason is one thing, but it's a different environment/pressure playing in the Pl/Europe..

He plays it too safe often, seems nervous out there, underhitting /overhitting simple passes, decision making is letting him down too.. When he tries to take on players he gets easily outmuscled most of the time, someone like Neymar has elite acceleration and will create seperation like nothing over the first few meters so it's no big deal that he is lightweight, haven't seen anything like that from Nelson so he definitely needs to bulk up..

Good experience for him though and if he gets more chances I'd like to see him show more of what he's capable of.

IslingtonBornandbred

It looked to me like he's a player that's used to beating U18/U23 defenders with relative ease but when he tried little things like going one on one and cutting inside players like Valencia just took it off him.

Definitely doesn't look ready to me. Could possibly see him filling in a RWB role because it's less pressure and he can be eased into the team, but I don't think he's ready for any sort of attacking role.

I'm always cautious with young players because I've seen countless youth player's look unbelievable at that level and then struggle to step up for a few years. Look at Lingard, they didn't think he'd be ready until he was 23/24. I'd be patient with Nelson, and he's still got time to get a few loans in or develop before we start judging him properly.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
Even an 18 year old neymar would struggle in the PL. It's physicality is above and beyond any other league in the world. Julio Baptista, Lorente who are both physical beasts in their leagues were bossed by EPL defenders.

What's important for me is that he doesn't let his head drop. Sometimes when you're used to having things easy with your talent you struggle against adversity because you're not used to it.

Hope he keeps his head up and not be afraid to play his natural game. Continue to beat defenders.

He is a top talent for me superior to Sachno, in terms of his speed and burst of pace. Which is so vital to become an elite player.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Sancho has more muscle on him it seems.

Summer in the gym for Reiss.
Sancho is a monster talent tbf.

Sancho also is playing with confidence and didn't have to cut his teeth at wing back either.

I honestly think playing Nelson initially at wing back is a factor in his current lack of confidence in the first team, readiness notwithstanding.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Pains me to say but he didn' look ready. I was hoping for a big game from him but he wilted after a while. Wasn't bad but when you have his ability and pace, you should be not dangerous. He's still 18 so plenty of time and hopefully he uses the experience to continue getting better.

At least he was given the chances he deserved for his improvement and will be a stronger player for it. Still believe in him.
Plenty of time and opportunities to come, I wouldn't be worried at all.

Some like Rashford start super brightly, others start very slowly look at Kane for example. The key thing is that the talent is there.

There should also be a big increase in performance when/if he slots into our first XI rather than being part of a team where wholesale changes are made. IMO that's when you can really see what a young player is made of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal have got as much chance of being handed the title by Sp*rs as I have of being given the Crown Jewels. They are the last people we want winning the Championship. Now we mean to round off our season by beating Arsenal.

Alan Mullery (Sp*rs captain in 1971)

There is no way we were going to be beaten

Bertie Mee in the same game after beating Spurs and clinching the Double at White Hart Lane

Latest posts

Top Bottom