• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: Time to Shine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
This is perfect news, and I'm glad that the record has been set straight at last rather than having to speculate on what is the case.

I'm a big believer in Nelson and he is, in my opinion, our best U23 talent at the club. I'm sad that his chance has come at the expense of an unfortunate knee injury to Mhkitaryan but I think (and hope) that we'll start to see Nelson perform like his usual self once he gets more game time for us. I'm also happy that I am wrong about Wenger not trusting Nelson. He could easily have shoehorned somebody out wide but he finally went with Nelson as an option.

I don't think he did that great in his full debut however, but there were encouraging signs. I'm reminded of Gnabry's first couple of starts - he was not quite his usual robust self but did small, diligent things to help the team rather than stand out in a big way. Once he got comfortable, he became a threatening player, culminating in what I considered a near-MOTM performance v Sp**s.

Hopefully we'll see more of Nelson in the PL and he'll demonstrate his attacking brilliance for the first team very soon.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
This is perfect news, and I'm glad that the record has been set straight at last rather than having to speculate on what is the case.

I'm a big believer in Nelson and he is, in my opinion, our best U23 talent at the club. I'm sad that his chance has come at the expense of an unfortunate knee injury to Mhkitaryan but I think (and hope) that we'll start to see Nelson perform like his usual self once he gets more game time for us. I'm also happy that I am wrong about Wenger not trusting Nelson. He could easily have shoehorned somebody out wide but he finally went with Nelson as an option.

I don't think he did that great in his full debut however, but there were encouraging signs. I'm reminded of Gnabry's first couple of starts - he was not quite his usual robust self but did small, diligent things to help the team rather than stand out in a big way. Once he got comfortable, he became a threatening player, culminating in what I considered a near-MOTM performance v Sp**s.

Hopefully we'll see more of Nelson in the PL and he'll demonstrate his attacking brilliance for the first team very soon.

Reckon he could do a job for us next season so we don't have to buy a winger? Cos if the club bought someone like Malcom for example you'd have to say that'd be a major roadblock for Nelson.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐

I think we'll have to give time for young player to develop before giving them too many minutes we saw what happen with Iwobi was at talented as Nelson but giving him too much minutes at young age could put him in big pressure to deliver and if he fail his confidence will be low and going to affect his development to reach his potential.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

They said he can beat players in training...well, World Class players aren't afraid to show it in the 1st team. Young players need to ignore coaches and take risks when given opportunities. Coaches always tell youngsters to keep it simple...but heck, you've got a limelight here...an opportunity. Against Southampton, he was getting in the way of passing opportunities...should have stayed wide and then cut inside.
You either have it or not. Nelson could go on and become another Quincy Owusu Abeyie.

He's cocky in the U23s and in his emotions, but dude needs a Reality Check. Needs to be a lot more stronger in his legs to ride challenges.

His potential right now is Raheem Sterling Level...not Thierry Henry.

Mate we would be rapt if he is Raheem Sterling level.

Aevi

Hale End FC
This seems like a pretty big hint that he's going to sign the extension.

IoLUnxr.png

Aevi

Hale End FC
Some more quotes, saying his next goal is to score...

It is a big achievement to sign for a big club like Arsenal so I’m just delighted with the contract and hopeful can sign it soon,” he said. “I did set one target – to make my first-team debut. I have done that, I have had 15 appearances.

“A Premier League start was on the cards but I think I need to score, that is the only one I haven’t achieved, so fingers crossed I can get a cheeky goal before the end of the season.

“I think a first-team start in the Premier League at a high level like this is always a step forward. I’ve just got to thank the boss and all my team-mates around me, pushing me and making me work harder and harder.”

Nelson is enjoying working under Wenger and he could yet make up part of the squad who travel to Russia for Thursday’s second leg against CSKA.

“He is one of the biggest [influences] for me,” Nelson said of Wenger. “He keeps pushing the youngsters – me, Eddie Nketiah and Joe Willock – I think he has got a bight future planned for us. We just have to keep training well and I think he is always going to push us and will give us first-team football when the opportunities arise.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/apr/10/reiss-nelson-new-arsenal-contract

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
I was hoping for some tweaking from the coaching staff at halftime, and really wanted to see him switch flanks a couple of times over the course of The game

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I was hoping for some tweaking from the coaching staff at halftime, and really wanted to see him switch flanks a couple of times over the course of The game
Same with Gnabry's first couple of games at right wing. Took away one of his best assets which was cutting in and shooting.

Startlingly similar.

HBL

Established Member
A lot of teams seem to utilise inverted wingers these days. Napoli, Barca, Real, Liverpool etc with City being one of the major exceptions.

Hoping Reiss will get another start this weekend but I hope Ramsey and Özil will be playing this time around. Would love to see a team like this on a Sunday:

Auba - Lacazette - Nelson
Özil
Xhaka - Ramsey
Nacho - Chambers - Kosc - Bellerin
Cech

Last edited:

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
There was talk of Nelson being lined up for a loan next season, but i'm not so sure. In the 1st half of this season he only really played at RWB, but that was because Walcott was getting minutes ahead of him in the group games and early cup games. Next season I'd imagine Nelson will be given that opportunity which is a fair progression given his age. If he outperforms then obviously he could play an even bigger role, but with the amount of games over a season you can still get a lot of minutes as a back-up.

HBL

Established Member
Me too! It's a lock-on that he'll sign apparently.

Hopefully he remains hungry, he'll need that determination.
Yeah, he came across well in that video.
Hoping he gets a chance to start a couple of matches with the likes of Özil and Ramsey between now and the end of the season.

Hope he get one or two more starts until end of season.

Although it is classic Wenger these days to just give a youngster a game and then wait 10 games until next chance.

Longy

He should go on loan to allow him to get consistent playing time at a higher level. Similar to JW at Bolton.

All our prospects should, unless they are of super potential.
I see none at the moment that will perform at that very elite level.
Keeping them in the Arsenal bubble only hurts them.

Let them prove themselves elsewhere, not hurting our senior squad while we wait.

Vital we keep him around our squad and not loan him out. The best players should be around and in the mix ready to step in when injuries and rotation is needed.

We need Nelson around because his profile. We don't have anyone like him in the squad. He will only get better after the summer. Gonna be massive for us one day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I cannot classify the moments of happiness and of sadness, but every defeat is a scar in your heart that you never forget.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom